What Did You Drink Today (non-wine) #1? (2015-2020)

I thought that sounded familiar.

Do you have Beachbum’s original recipe from the Tiki-Ti? So you could compare Martin’s from Smugglers Cove vs. Ray Buhens from the Tiki-Ti?

I don’t, Beachbum Berry Remixed is definitely on my list of cocktail books to get. A bunch of recipes in the SC book list that as a source. I did find a recipe online from Beachbum Berry’s Intoxica: http://www.kaiserpenguin.com/puka-punch/ which looks pretty similar to the one in the SC book.

Aurora cocktail from the Canon book. I’m really enjoying this book!
Absinthe rinse, cognac, rye, splash of St. Germain, dash of simpler and dash bitter, all topped with champagne.

1 Like

Puka Punch – Ray Buhen, Tiki-Ti, Los Angeles, CA, 1961
1 oz. light PR rum
1 oz. gold VI rum
¾ oz. dark Jamaican rum
1 oz. lime juice
¾ oz. orange juice
¾ oz. pineapple juice
¾ oz. passion fruit syrup
¾ oz. honey syrup
¼ oz. Falernum syrup
1 dash Angostura bitters
¾ oz. Lemon Hart Demerara 151, float
1 cup crushed ice

Put all except 151 in blender and blend five seconds. Pour into a tall glass. Float 151 on top. Garnish with cherry, pineapple, orange.

1 Like

A hurricane - 4 oz Gosling’s Black Seal rum, 2 oz fresh lemon juice, 2 oz B. G. Reynolds passion fruit syrup. I liked this more than the one I remember having from Pat O’Brien’s, which tasted like Kool Aid. The lemon balances out the sweetness of the passionfruit syrup nicely. Kind of strong with 4oz of rum.

1 Like

Pat O’Briens switched to using a pre-made liquid or powder mix, instead of passionfruit. I’m not sure when, but by at least the mid-1980’s, because they were selling, and using, the powder form on my visits then.

1 Like

Which is kind of a shame as the original recipe has only three ingredients, is pretty easy to make, and tastes a lot better (IMHO). I guess a pre-made mix may be cheaper.

Picked a recipe from a local SoCal mag called Tidewater. This morning I made a spiced persimmon mix by boiling persimmon, orange juice, ginger, clove, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla bean. Then blend and strain.

The cocktail is scotch, persimmon mix, lime juice, and a drop of maple syrup. I was skeptical, but this was really good.

1 Like

Unseasonably warm weather here in the Bay Area. Lillet Blanc on the rocks with an orange twist.

A Demerara dry float - lime juice, lemon juice, passion fruit syrup, Demerara syrup, Maraschino liqueur, Appleton Rare Blend 12 Year rum. With a side of danger! (Hamilton 151 Overproof Demerara Rum).

What are the proportions on that drink? I’m trying to get a grip on the flavor profile.

Same for the two syrups in the drink.

2 oz lime juice
1 tsp lemon juice
0.25 oz Demerara syrup
1.5 oz passion fruit syrup
0.25 oz Maraschino liqueur
1.5 oz Appleton Rare Blend rum

With .75 oz of overproof Hamilton 151 rum on the side.

A pisco sour, my first time making a cocktail with egg white. My Boston shaker was starting to leak a little when dry shaking without ice to froth the egg white, I think I need to make a better seal. It seals well when there’s ice in it though, I think the cold causes the steel to contract. Pisco, lime juice, lemon juice, simple syrup, egg white, Angostura bitters.

A pisco sour… How was it? I want to attempt an egg white drink and home but DH, not so much. We get nice fresh eggs from the FM, but still, I think he is just a bit creeped out by the idea.

Lots of private barrel picks of Wild Turkey Russel’s Reserve bourbon.

1 Like

It was very good, I will make it again. Refreshing with some frothiness from the egg white. The proportions were 2 oz pisco, 1/2 oz lemon juice, 1/2 oz lime juice, 3/4 oz simple syrup, 1 egg white. Dry shake all ingredients without ice to froth the egg white, and then shake again with ice added. Double strain into a coupe glass and dot with Angostura bitters. I used the recipe from the Death & Co. book.

There is a problem with what to do with the egg yolk. I used it to make dinner.

1 Like

When you have ice the rapid chilling causes a partial vacuum to seal the tins together. When doing a “dry” shake make sure the top/bottom tins are lined straight up vertically, not at an angle like when you shake with ice. This helps prevent leaks. But after tons of testing, dry shake before, dry shake after, etc. I find that if you do a very strong, hard shake for 20 seconds, you don’t need to dry shake, before or after.

When I make an egg white cocktail, I then make a Flip to use up the yolk.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip, my shaker tins were indeed at an angle. Next time I will try just shaking the drink vigorously as you describe with ice and without the dry shake.