What did that Van Gogh painting ever do to you?

Why donā€™t they scream at the actual corporations, politicians, etc whose policies they feel are destroying our climate? From what I have read these actions are just motivating people to ignore their message.

1 Like

Itā€™s certainly a very roundabout way of protest, and from the reactions Iā€™ve seen only made it a subject of ridicule.

2 Likes

Well, I see someoneā€™s listening to me!

2 Likes

Who knew the impact HungryOnion and @small_h could have on the world stage? Chowhound never had that kind of effect.

Letā€™s all promise to use this power only for good.

3 Likes

I think this is great. This demonstrates the English government and society tolerance of misbehaviors and value of life. Pretty sure they would be sentenced to death in some other countries. So I say: Good news

1 Like

:exploding_head: :exploding_head:

2 Likes

Those darn TikTok trendsā€¦

2 Likes

Now itā€™s a Klimt in Vienna. Perhaps the media should stop reporting these incidents so the activists no longer get publicity? Iā€™m sure I am far from the only person who supports their cause but condemns their tactics.

5 Likes

Why do you condemn their tactics? To date, not one of the works of art has been damaged whilst real damage is happening to art and cultural heritage around the world thanks to the climate crisis. I wonā€™t even go into the physical death and destruction.

It definitely gets people riled, but are people really going to go, well, these kids hate art, so there you go, Iā€™m all for climate disaster now?

1 Like

That is absolutely not what I am saying. My opinion is that there are better ways to draw attention to the crisis.

4 Likes

No, but they will ridicule their tactics, belittle them ā€¦ and turn them against their cause, in the end. It seems to me that itā€™s backfiring (not that I believe anything can or will be done to avoid the now inevitable, but Iā€™m old & a cynical realist/jaded idealist).

2 Likes

We may not know much from art. We do know that viewing great art through glazing diminishes the opportunities for pleasure and learning. Leave it to the culturally insensitive and disrespectful to ruin things for the rest of us.

We figure these ā€œcommunicationsā€ and ā€œenvironmental studiesā€ majors type ā€œprotestorsā€ sorely lack both communications skills and an understanding about how the world really works.

4 Likes

Glazing and filters for art to be encountered predates these protestors. Thereā€™s a great many protective measures for art.

Meanwhile the sheer number of scare quotes has given me a headache so Iā€™ll bow out. Especially as I disagree with any one person dismissing people for not knowing ā€œhow the world really worksā€. Thatā€™s more a rhetorical tactic than one grounded in studies of the things.

There can be disagreements around efficacy of an action. Iā€™m watching this with great interest (probably also because this is my field of research/study). I think itā€™s making interesting developments in terms of stories and think pieces in media reportage. Activism is rarely a full on change but can start moving the dial.

The ā€œcondemnā€ of the statement is what fascinated me. Especially as it positions the speaker in a very particular way.

Or dismissing entire academic fields like communications and environmental studies.

1 Like

Andā€¦

2 Likes

An article based on a recent (albeit limited) study by the University of Pennsylvania.

"Itā€™s one thing to ask people if they support nonviolent protests generically,ā€ Mann said. ā€œBut it doesnā€™t capture the very off-putting nature of the recent simulated art defacement actions, which seem to cause widespread revulsion by a large cross section of the public, in part because thereā€™s no logic or connection there. People wonder, what did Van Gogh do to deserve this wrath?ā€

2 Likes