What Are Your Very Earliest Memories About Food?

Am I dreaming, or were there baseball cards with a flat sheet of bubble gum? Tootsie roll pops, & chocolate drinks called Yoo-Hoos .

Bubble gum cigars are now sometimes given out after the birth of a child.

In blue or pink, natch.

1 Like

Yes, there were! Not a dream.

1 Like

And it was so unchewable rhat we usually threw it out!

5 Likes

Fleer was even worse than Topp’s.

Weren’t there other collectable cards with gum? ISTR garbage pail (?) kids or similar that my youngest sibling collected. I was at college so didn’t pay much attention.

Didn’t the really old baseball cards come with the sheet and then they switched to sticks of gum?

@meatn3 I dont think garbage pail kids came with gum but i could be wrong. Those things are worth quite a bit of money now.

Who remembers dots, “buttons?” A delectable mix of hard sugar and paper at once. You would peel them off and paper would be stuck to the bottom

5 Likes

I do! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Loved them. When we had them they did not some packaged. Just long strips and they were usually displayed in a glass jar. They tasted better too!!! :grinning:

2 Likes

I LOVED BUTTONS! I still love Buttons! LOL A paper strip of candy buttons was always one of the penny candy items my sister and I would get at Pauline’s, the little country store in Hartleton, PA I mentioned above.

4 Likes

I think my family bought the economy buttons lol

Half of them would have paper stuck to the bottom. You couldn’t taste it though :wink:

1 Like

I didn’t care. I ate the paper. LOL

2 Likes

Always had the paper stuck to them–didn’t care!

And yes, the bubble gum that came in baseball cards was terrible. Fortunately, even when I was collecting them (early 1980s), you could get 3-pack strips which didn’t have any gum.

1 Like

I remember the colored metallic glasses. The only fizzies I recall were…
Plop, plop, fizz, fizz. Oh what a relief it is.
“I can’t believe I ate the whole thing.”
“Mama Mia. What a Spicy Meatball!”

2 Likes

And…
“I won’t eat it. Let Mikey eat it. He won’t eat it. He hates everything. Hey, Mikey. He likes it.”
And…
“I want my Maypo!”

3 Likes

Went to a Woodstock party last night, and they had ordered a 1969 box from Amazon…candy that was popular then…so dots, Lemon Heads, Red Hots, Bit o Honey…it was fun just digging through the box to see what was there.

And yesterday out shopping? I found Zots!

4 Likes

Good times! Many of my memories repeat over the years and I can’t remember the earliest.

I remember fried chicken with sand at Jones beach. Our extended family would go in a caravan. I remember it raining one year, and we were driving, handing food to each other through the window.

I a!so remember an aunt from Nevis in the Caribbean that came and stayed with us. She wore garlic around her neck, and it wasn’t until I was much older that I realized what that smell was, and why she wore it. I guess that might not count as food.

2 Likes

Why did she wear it?

I believe it was to keep away bad spirits or something similar.

3 Likes

The penny “pick & mix” at the local sweets and tobacco shop. But I also liked the more expensive sherbet dabs.

Yes, back in the day, it was common for shops to just sell the combination - some would also sell newspapers.

1 Like