What are your tried and true hiccup cures?

I was at a bar recently and couldn’t shake the hiccups.

My usual method is drinking upside down, which works 9 times out of 10 (not a bad record, me thinks). Of course, it looks pretty damn weird, since you have to sorta bend forward and drink from the opposite side of the glass… but if it helps, I honestly couldn’t care less.

This time, it didn’t work. The bartender gave me a slice of lemon that he dashed with bitters and sprinkled on some sugar. Surprisingly, it almost immediately took care of it.

Does anyone have an explanation for this particular method or care to share your own?

Haha. My wife does this. It cracks me up when she tries to drink upside down.

My remedy is 140 proof whiskey :wink:

And it works?

I was just kidding but I bet it beats drinking upside down. Numb those nerve endings

1 Like

But what if the whiskey gave you the hiccups in the first place? Hmmmmmm?? '-)

Hummmm…you won’t care

a spoon of powder sugar

1 Like

Interesting! So… what magical properties in the sugar do we think make it work?

My personal cure is physical. I take a breath and hold it, then scrunch over so my diaphragm is completely compressed. It works quickly for me maybe 19 times out of 20.

Huh. Holding my breath has never worked. Good for you!

nadda clue. it’s one of those ole ole ole ‘cures’ - which in our experience (usin’s plus kids) works.

Have a friend stop up both your ears with their fingers and drink any liquid, or if you don’t have a friend to stop up your ears, take a nice sip of something, keep it in your cheeks, and then cover your ears while swallowing it. Very effective cure, much more effective than drinking water out of the “wrong side” of the glass.

2 Likes

“President Trump”

1 Like

Yes, this always works for me.

Have someone feed you water as you hold your fingers in your ears. Works every time.

1 Like

concentrate on forming a hiccup. try really hard to get one out. they go away right away.

I gave up because I don’t notice any method worked reliably for me.

When I was a teenager, I had a case of the hiccoughs that lasted TWO FREAKING WEEKS! Ever since (and that was a loooooooong time ago!) the first hiccough always scares the bejeezus out of me!

But I have found one cure that ALWAYS works for me! Lay flat on a bed with your head hanging over the side. Put your arms over your head and relax your diaphragm. Breathe as shallow and slowly as possible for several minutes. When there are no more hiccoughs, slowly breathe deeper, then get up. They’re gone! Works for me every single time! And I try very hard not to get hiccoughs when I can’t access a bed. '-)

Ah, yes. The old lying on your bed method. Sadly, most (if not all) bars I frequent don’t generally have a bed nearby.

Maybe I should’ve specified location, too '-)

1 Like

A spoonful of undissolved sugar (don’t let it dissolve in your mouth before swallowing).

Edited to add: I’d imagine salt or even sand would work, but would be rather unpleasant. And I don’t plan on carrying a small bag of sand around with me.