What are your 3 favorite cakes to make?

That one has been on my list to make for ages…

1 Like

Is this the recipe?

1 Like

I’m interested in making that, too. It needs to cool down, a bit though. Maybe October!

Yes… that is the recipe. I really like this particular recipe – simple and tasty!!

1 Like

It really is tasty! I’m trying to teach myself to duplicate Sunshine’s mother’s frosting for it. I’m not quite there yet, but Sunshine is enjoying my “trial and error”!! (LOL)

1 Like
1 Like

That is the classic wacky/crazy cake that hails from the depression era, though the MS version is on the low end on cocoa. I prefer Margaret Fox’s version, which has about twice as much, for a deeper flavor.

2 Likes

Still looking, it isn’t where I thought it was. It may have been in an old Gourmet or Bon Appetit magazine. I looked online and it doesn’t look like the ones I saw. The cake recipe I have made has 3 or 4 thin layers separated by a thin line of line of mocha with the layers painted with a coffee syrup, first. There is a thin ganache icing on top. Edible gold foil garnished the top. Dang I hope I can locate it!

Would it be in “Eat Your Books”? I have many years of Gourmet indexed in that qpp.

ETA from Gourmet

Same recipe on Epicurious…I don’t have a subscription, but I can see it! Maybe it predates the paywall.

Thanks!

Very, very similar, but not the recipe I had. I checked my Gourmet book, too. Close enough. I’m going nuts!

1 Like

Yup, Fraisier is particularly nice. Strawberry and marzipan go great together!

3 Likes

The Fraisiers I’ve tried haven’t contained marzipan! I like marzipan.

Here’s my Fraisier from the Gateau BCOTM baking thread. No marzipan.

4 Likes

Me, too. Same experience and I love marzipan.

2 Likes

While this looks beautiful and delicious, I question the book referring to it as fraisier, which has a very particular look and elements to it that immediately come to mind and I would expect if the word “fraisier” is used. Namely a sponge (classically almond, though not always, and typically it’s almond meal rather than marzipan if it is almond), kirsch, and crème mousseline, with crème diplomat sometimes being used instead. And the look is sort of instantly recognizable even when the shape might change. For me this is a strawberry cream cake (which I love).

4 Likes

That sounds delicious. I have a tree over-loaded with white peaches and want to make something for a grieving neighbor. She would love that I made something with a homegrown item. I also have some pecans I need to use up. I looked up the IG recipe you mention. Are you putting bourbon in the praline mixture or in the cake? I’m assuming in the fruit mixture. I guess I should not add too much or it will be watery. I’m not much of a baker. I wonder if the white peaches would brown too much. They start turning color much faster than yellow ones. A little lemon juice might help. I would appreciate any tips you care to share.

I don’t mean to butt in, but these white peach bars have been on my list for a while. They’re from a source I’ve baked successfully from many times, and would be achievable for someone who doesn’t bake that often… Perhaps they will appeal to you and your neighbor?

2 Likes

Thanks Mig. I just got back from picking some peaches. That looks really good and easy. I will make for sure. I have enough peaches to make both that and the cake. I just hope I did not wait too long to pick the peaches. Some years I wait too long and all they are good for is sorbet. It is very good sorbet but sort of a sad use for them.

2 Likes

This recipe caught my eye yesterday.https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/caramel-peach-upside-down-cake-recipe

2 Likes