What are you listening to?

Copland’s ‘Appalachian Spring’, the complete ballet.

I think Snyder’s needle drop of it in The Watchmen was what killed it for me.

I never finished that show, so I don’t get the reference. But I believe that every single song, regardless of how fantastic it is, will eventually suffer from being overplayed/overcovered/everpresent.

Absence makes the ears/brains grow fonder or something like that…

I was speaking of Snyder’s film Watchmen (2009) (never has a movie been more faithful to its source material while utterly missing its central point.)

I actually quite liked the HBO followup, and was sorry it didn’t get a 2nd season.

1 Like

Sunny day off here in Northern Europe.

2 Likes
2 Likes

from the “Hey, I didn’t know that was a cover!” files. These are the originals.

2 Likes
2 Likes

oooo! good ones!

Sting wrote this for Zenyatta Mondatta but never recorded it, and gave it Grace Jones for her 1981 album ‘Nightclubbing’.

The Police then put their version on 1981’s Ghost in the Machine. So technically, their version is the cover…

I remember seeing Jones’ version of this on MTV in my very early teens. It gave me… feelings.

3 Likes

pre-Go-Go’s:

1 Like
1 Like

Not sure if this counts, since it was cowritten by members of both groups, but this is certainly less well known in the US:

2 Likes

This has nothing to do with covers but sent me down a rabbit-hole of long forgotten oddball videos I remember that few others seem to:

2 Likes

Go-Go’s version was released in June of 1981. The FB3 version in April of 1983. And now, on with the countdown…

1 Like

tracks:
0:47 “The Robots”
7:40 “Numbers”
10:36 “Computer World”
13:50 “Home Computer”
19:56 “Computer Love”
24:24 “The Man Machine”
29:50 “The Model”

1 Like

And thanks for the Kraftwerk, Mr. L!

2 Likes
2 Likes

And now for something different:

2 Likes

Early synth

I Want to Take You Higher by Ike and Tina Turner and the Ikettes on The Vinyl Fontier, MTPR’s Freeforms Show.

2 Likes