What are you cooking/buying? (GBA Edition)

Hopefully this isn’t against the rules, but I’m hoping we can start a cooking discussion that’s more reflective of seasonal produce and local markets around Boston, and perhaps add a few recipes to our own repertoires too.

So what’s good at the market, and what are you doing with them?

3 Likes

Prune plums have been spotted at Market Basket, which is always a reliable sign of fall to me. What could you do with them beside making Marian Burro’s plum torte?

Here’s a peach galette from last week; used supermarket peaches instead of the precious local peaches ripening on kitchen counter, but it still turned out well. I’m a crust person, so galette always seem to have a better crust-to-filing ratio than pies.

8 Likes

I haven’t done much but eaten them out of hand, but this year’s peaches and nectarines have actually been pretty good. These aren’t always the greatest around here, but I think maybe last year’s warm winter really helped these crops.

4 Likes

Totally agree on this year’s peaches!
I got some of those plums at market basket last week, and halved them, put in a baking crock cut side up. Drizzled coconut oil over them ( was low on butter), then some maple syrup. Put them. In the oven to roast with some veggies from Wilson Farm.they were great for dessert! Had cold leftovers the next morning with Greek yogurt.
:blush:

5 Likes

Challah with raisins for Rosh Hashanah last week. Instead of the traditional sprial shape, I went with a Chinese knot design (hydrangea knot) seen on youtube because I can’t let things just be. Apparently childhood memory of making bracelets with those knots didn’t hold up as much as I expected…it’s not as even as I would like.

6 Likes

It’s absolutely gorgeous @sunnyday !!

1 Like

whoa that looks amazing! I’m imagining a hot dog bun version made with this dough…

Yes, this would be great as a lobster roll…now I just have to wait patiently until the lobsters are on sale…:stuck_out_tongue:

Also made aguadito de pollo (Peruvian chicken soup) to go with the bread now that it’s finally soup weather. The green color is from an entire bunch of cilantro (apologies to the cilantro-adverse folks).

I had this at always-excellent-always-packed Rincon Limeno in East Boston, but haven’t been near Logan since last year. Even though ceviche and seafood are the main attractions there, this is a real sleeper hit and so customizable for the home kitchen.

6 Likes