What are you baking? September 2022

That SK recipe is one of my all-timers. Pistachio frangipane… it’s indescribably delicious.

What did you use for the tart shell? Pate sucree?

Peasant Bread from BTC. I’m obliged to make this at least once a year during tomato season. Always makes me smile as I give the slices an appropriate coating of mayo . This bread is good toasted but I always prefer it au natural for the first few sandwiches.

8 Likes

Looks great! What is BTC?

There was a lot of baking from this book on CH when it was first published. Her blog also has several recipes from the book.

3 Likes

My girlfriend was out running some errands this morning and decided she wanted walnuts, so she stopped at the store and picked up a small bag. When she got home, she announced she wanted some walnut brownies. I chopped the walnuts a little finer and made her some walnut brownies.

She just had a walnut brownie fresh out of the oven and is quite content.

10 Likes

I may not care for brownies much (though nuts definitely make them better), but I do find the nice shiny crust like yours pleasing to look at.

1 Like

White nectarine mini pie with raspberries, brushed with red currant jelly and a scoop of fig gelato.

12 Likes

Your girlfriend is one lucky woman to get lovely baked goods on-request! That looks perfect.

2 Likes

Thank you… Yes, I’ll try to make pretty much anything she asks for.

2 Likes

I am going to bake some brownies in my restaurant for this weekend.

2 Likes

Sourdough bread on the go. Bit tricky in the heat and with a gas oven, but so far they taste great (just their looks…)
And free style naan bread yesterday.
I don’t really have a sweet tooth, so no cakes etc

3 Likes

You are a very good bf!

Thanks… My girlfriend isn’t allowed to cook anymore after a small kitchen fire. She has some memory issues and forgets stuff, so I’ll happily prepare anything she is in the mood for.

5 Likes

That is just so nice of you! :hibiscus:

3 Likes

A batch of Carole Walter’s Spanish peanut saucers. Aside from tasting great, one of the things I love about these cookies is that they’re made with egg whites rather than whole eggs, so whenever I have some egg whites hanging around and I don’t feel like any of my other methods of using them up, these are handy.

7 Likes

Reads a lot like the peanut version of pignoli!

2 Likes

These have butter and flour like a typical cookie, but they’re nicely chewy and sort of dense like pignoli cookies.

A double batch of blueberry mascarpone not-muffins :joy:. This is the third time I’ve made these already. Everyone loves them.

7 Likes

Revisiting Dorie’s Everything Cake.

This one with a Yakima peach, freshly-picked blackberries, peach brandy and vanilla extract.

I sprinkled a good amount of sugar on top before baking. The fruit sank, but nobody here minds. The very center was a little moist for my taste – it tested as baked, but I probably could have gone a couple of minutes more. Might have been all those juicy berries! In any case, I’m wild about the flavor combination, and will make this version again next year.

14 Likes

Peaches and cream bars: someone posted these last month https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/peaches-cream-bars/ and of course I had to make them. I really enjoyed them.

7 Likes