What are you baking? September 2022

Swirled Jam Cake from Snacking Cakes for breakfast this morning (dustchick’s consistent mention of various baked goods for breakfast over on WMP discussions lured me in…). I made the cardamom/plum jam variation, doubling the cardamom to 1 tsp and adding the lemon zest that was listed too. I’m VERY happy with the buttery and nicely-spiced flavor, and the tender texture.

Mine baked in an 8x8 pan and sank in the center as it cooled, despite being well-browned and pulling away from the pan sides. It looks like my swirls pulled more of the jam toward the center so there was less cake structural support.

I’m not likely to do early-morning baking often, since BBC (Baking Before Coffee) today had me almost adding ground coriander rather than cardamom. Identically shaped jars, similar shades of dark tan spice, starting with C and stored next to each other in the stacked spice boxes (corrected now - in separate boxes). It could have been an “interesting” variation.

7 Likes

Ha, that could happen to someone even when fully awake. I expect much more egregious gaffes when baking while not fully awake.

1 Like

I have Dorie’s Everything Cake in the oven; I just now heard the timer go off to indicate it was done, and when I opened the oven door, it was cold inside. I DID turn it on, I swear.

1 Like

oh no!

1 Like

Fingers crossed that your oven is working

2 Likes

Hmm - that sounds like something I’d do! Was there an instruction to preheat higher and immediately turn down the temp after putting the cake in the oven?

No. I just… flaked, I guess?

1 Like

I turned it back on and stood there until I confirmed it was, trust me. I was terrified! It’s my mom’s oven from the 90s and I live in constant, low-grade terror it will die any day.

1 Like

My girlfriend and I are going to a Labor Day cookout today and I’m usually in charge of desserts with the group. She was talking to the host and hostess and bragging on the hot milk cake I recently made, so that was requested. The only problem is this cake is a 9" X 13" cake and I don’t have a carrier for that size cake, so I put it in a larger baking dish and will cover it with foil (for transport).

9 Likes

I’m constantly having to hack transport mechanisms. Often I put a kitchen towel underneath the cake (between the two pans) to decrease “sliding around” while in the car. I guess if the fit it snug enough that might not be an issue for you, but it frequently is for me.

1 Like

I made the Honey-Oat Pain de Miel recipe from King Arthurs that @Nannybakes recommended. Since my pullman is a larger

size i increased all the ingredients by 50% except the yeast. We love it. DH says its nice and chewy. Thanks. Next to increase the milk bread recipe from Milk Bread an Mooncakes.

9 Likes

Happy you enjoyed it…makes great toast or panini.

1 Like

You know those various sizes of disposable foil pans? Those are great for transporting, no risk of breaking and you don’t have to bring it back home.

1 Like

I wish I had thought of that. They sell them at the “Dollar Tree”, that would have been perfect.
I am definitely going that route next time. I’ll keep a couple of sizes in stock for the next party/cookout.
Thank you for the suggestion.

I really enjoy your youtube recipe posts. Thanks!

1 Like

Glad to know they’re of interest! :slightly_smiling_face:

Mom wanted some bread for sandwiches so I decided to make this bread from Chain Baker:

Except with ww flour because spelt flour always ends up sitting in my pantry and I can’t always get it here anyway and local ww flour is obviously cheaper. And I was really nervous about this because from the first fold attempt, it was not a cohesive dough. It tore immediately even though I stirred the dough in the initial stage. Kicking myself for not stirring for a longer period, honestly. I gave it a few more folds in an attempt to develop the gluten but honestly even with that it’s still not as strong as Charlie’s looked in the video and was tearing when stretched.
So, I made some NYC-style hard rolls as back-up!

9 Likes

The peach pie came out … just peachy! :grin:

16 Likes

Congrats on that pie success. The crust and filling look PERFECT.

3 Likes

Peach-plum tart with pistachio frangipane, adapted from https://smittenkitchen.com/2014/08/apricot-pistachio-squares/

It was a big hit with my dinner guests, but I wasn’t 100% happy. The crust felt underdone and there wasn’t enough fruit for my liking - I used about two medium peaches and 1.5 plums. I should have cut slightly thicker slices, I think. It would have benefited from a glaze to finish, too, as well as a drop of foid coloring to keep the pistachio filling green. The filling was delicious, though, so I’d make again with tweaks.

12 Likes