What are you baking? September 2022

I kicked off this month’s baking with a banana bread. It’s still warm here but cloudy and grey so it’s nice and comforting. I’ve been enjoying it with peanut butter spread on it and a cup of tea. It’s an ugly loaf though as it’s spilled out a bit out of its tin so no picture.

8 Likes

Out for delivery…Dorie’s Everything cake with apricots and plums with thanks to @MunchkinRedux for originally posting this.
And a fresh cherry, chocolate sprinkle cake adapted from Raspberry Ricotta cake at Epicurious. A sprinkle of flaked almonds on top gives a nice crunch. This one has no ricotta in it… made this several times and it is always good.

14 Likes

@MunchkinRedux and @Nannybakes : I want to serve a fruit-filled Everything Cake at a picnic tomorrow. Should I make it today or tomorrow morning?

Ettore Cioccia just put out a video for apricot tartlets, so I thought I’d share here:

mig, not sure how it holds overnight, MR should be able to tell you. Depending on the amount of fruit, it will affect the texture of the cake. The two small plum cakelets that I posted in August, we’re fine the following day but I’m not sure regarding a large one. I doubt I’ll get to bring a piece home as this type of cake is my granddaughters’ favorite! Enjoy it!
(ETA… I really prefer a fresh baked cake , I set all the ingredients on a small tray and went to the FM. It was quick to put together when I returned, and I was happier bringing it.)

1 Like

Theres a note in Eat Your Books by someone that baked this cake with apples saying: good the first day not so good the second.

1 Like

Honestly, not terribly surprised! Thanks for the info!

My opinion is: Better the first, but perfectly fine on the 2nd . Our cake did not live to see Day 3.

1 Like

thanks everyone!

Peach pie. My first ever full-size, double-crust pie made outside of a class. Yay me!

I want to be that person who can run across some nice fruit and bang out a pie quickly and instinctively, without a lot of pre-planning, anxiety, cursing and leaving their small kitchen a disaster zone. I feel I’m getting there, albeit slowly.

For the filling, I relied on a hybrid of Kate McDermott’s Favorite Peach Pie (author of Art of the Pie and from whom I took the class IRL pre-pandemic) and King Arthur’s Summertime Peach Pie. My go-to for crust is Serious Eats Easy Pie Dough, swapping some of the butter for leaf lard.

The blackberry pie I baked the other day was OK, but not much more – too much filling, not enough sugar, and it cried out for a top crust. A work in progress. In comparison, I’m optimistic about this one – will post results after we cut into it tomorrow.

My summer is now complete.

22 Likes

It’s gorgeous, MR! I’m sure it will taste as good, if not better, than it looks! Happy Pie Baking!

1 Like

Thank you! I’m feeling smarmy! :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s a masterpiece!

1 Like

Thank you😁!

The edges look almost like meringue. Is it very light and crispy?

Needed to use up my peaches. This is Ina’s Peach Raspberry Crisp. A half recipe in my 9" cast iron, she bakes BIG! Did go full recipe on the topping to freeze half for apple crisp soon.

Add images here

15 Likes

It’s more like a crisp, cookie-ish crust. And yes, it’s light .
120 AP, 50g almond flour, 40g confectionery sugar,1/2t salt, 113g butter, 1 egg, whisked. That volume makes two eight inch tart crusts for me.

2 Likes

Marian Burros’ plum torte. I used less sugar, no cinnamon, lemon zest in batter, more salt, and vanilla in batter. Amazing.

13 Likes

Looks delicious! I have plum torte envy. I went to the FM on Saturday looking for plums, but none available yet.

1 Like

Yum! Can’t be beat!