What are you baking? September 2022

Dorie’s French apple cake.

french apple cake sept 22

10 Likes

How was it? Looks beautiful.

I enjoy this cake quite a bit. It’s very tender, moist (all the apples) and straightforward. I increase the vanilla in the recipe because I don’t use rum, so it has a beautiful apple-vanilla profile. You really experience apple flavor fully when (1) they’re in season (like now) and (2) there’s no cinnamon to mute the fruit flavor.

Thank you for the detailed reply. I have an apple cake recipe I like, but this really looks worth a try.

1 Like

I sift a bit of powdered sugar overtop before I serve, but otherwise, this is about perfect.

1 Like

You can’t go wrong with this one or her custardy apple squares, another recipe that puts the apples forward, with just enough batter to hold them together.

4 Likes

This is pretty much my favorite apple cake, too. I love the rum in it and how much apple it crams. A lot of apple cakes just barely have enough apple for my liking.

1 Like

Jumbo Bakery Style Pumpkin Muffins from sizzlingeats.com

I added raisins, chopped pecans, cut the oil in half and added a like amount of applesauce.   The topping is crunchy with sugar and cinnamon.   These are tasty!

I guess my jumbo muffin tin wasn’t quite as large, ended up with 5 additional regular sized muffins. No complaints about that.

6 Likes

My final bake in September.

A repeat of Dorie’s Everything Cake. This one with with apples, blueberries, calvados, a generous amount of cinnamon-sugar topping, and a boiled-cider-and-lemon glaze. So good! The bake went close to 48 minutes (the blueberries were semi-thawed) and it was perfect. My favorite version yet.

12 Likes

Gorgeous cake @MunchkinRedux

Speaking of apple cakes (and also blueberries) I just saw this cake in my feed with apples, blueberries, and blackberries. It’s a mascarpone base.

2 Likes

That’s a beaut

1 Like

October thread is here!

They look delicious though. :grinning: :grinning:

1 Like