What are you baking? Oct 2023

a recipe that I love… even if it’s off the back of the packet! https://www.hersheyland.com/recipes/sea-salt-caramel-chip-chocolate-cookies.html made for a friend who is in town for Thanksgiving…

10 Likes

Sorry for the dumb question, I am unfamiliar with this cookie. Is this the dough or the finished cookie?

thats the dough…

1 Like

I made these on your recommendation years ago. Had to search out the chips. Absolutely delicious!

1 Like

Looks like they’ll be delish! Finished product pic, or did they go too quickly?

These look great, I must try them.

1 Like

They are easy and good: I usually make the dough one night, and let the dough sit in the fridge overnight… bake the next.

Runzas / meat & sauerkraut-filled bread. One each for supper tonight, a couple in the fridge for tomorrow and the rest frozen for future meals. The recipe is one my niece wrote down as her husband’s grandmother made a batch and tutored her on each part - dough, filling, assembly/folding, and storage (wrap in foil, then freeze, store in freezer bags).

A single batch of filling makes enough for 14 runzas, and a batch of dough yields 16 dough balls to be flattened / filled. Option 1 as taught by his grandmother, who was feeding 4 men, is doubling the filling and using the extra as a baked casserole, topped with mashed potatoes. Option 2 is one I chose for our much smaller 2-person family; a single batch of filling and using the extra dough to make small cinnamon rolls.

12 Likes

Slab apple pie for my father’s 96th birthday celebration tomorrow. It’s about 8" to 9"” across, and I squeezed the best of two small Honeycrisp in it.

Also a picture of my latest bread machine bake. An Irish Barmbrack loaf - delicious!

17 Likes

Lucky girl, lucky dad!

3 Likes

Well, I ate up that little chocolate loaf, so I baked the same quantity but in a tiny round pan instead. Also added some chocolate chunks to the otherwise plain batter.

Near-disaster: forgot the oil, debated what to do for a moment, pulled out the cake, poured in the oil, used the whisk to distribute it, put the cake back in and said a little prayer. Phew.

Tasty today, better tomorrow. And so darn cute!

15 Likes

Good save, and also, that’s adorable.

2 Likes

Some sleuthing suggests the chips may be discontinued - was the bag you used recently purchased?

Oh no!

If you have a Trader Joe’s nearby they make a salted caramel chip. I think they are seasonal and are around for the holidays. Stock up!

1 Like

No it was a bit long in the tooth; oh dear! Will look when I am next at Metro…

1 Like

Friend is having an belated “Oktoberfest Party” Today so I made Bayerische Brezeln!

20 Likes

Update: Lidl has speculoos cookies that are much more affordable and they are fine! I opened the package to taste them but now I want to not eat the rest - if I’m only going to use these to make a crust, I can toss them in the freezer, , then defrost and crush as usual, right?

4 Likes

You may remember that I asked for advice on making a nutty bread similar to what I had in Switzerland. I’ve been trying to find rye flour, which struck me as a great suggestion, but haven’t been able to so far. So I used 1/3 ww flour and 2/3 ap. Used pumpkin, sunflower, and flax seeds. The flax seeds seem to have disappeared. The ww flour made it a bit more bitter than I wanted but it’s still good with jam. Will keep looking for rye flour.

13 Likes

Yes, just put the package in a freezer bag and squeeze out all air possible. Freezing them helps make sure they don’t get “sampled” away before you next want to use them. :grinning:

1 Like