What are you baking? Oct 2023

DH asked nicely for a batch of lemon tea cookies. Happy to oblige.

16 Likes

That’s a lot of tea cookies! Will you freeze some or do they keep well? Or does DH eat them voraciously???

That’s a lot of tea cookies! Will you freeze some or do they keep well? Or does DH eat them voraciously???

All of the above? Lol. I froze about two-thirds of them at his request. That will slow him down. He’s afraid to go into our upright freezer on his own (with good cause - it’s precarious this time of year).

4 Likes

The cookies are beautiful and your DH is lucky. :laughing:

4 Likes

Thank you! Someone on CH (you, maybe?) clued me into to scooting the cookies. These are perfect for that shaping maneauver - it’s fun and my favorite part of baking them.

2 Likes

It sure was not me! It has probably been 30 or 40 years since I’ve made cookies. When I was in college, I made cookies nearly every night for my social club, and that pretty much cured me from making cookies for the rest of my life - especially since I don’t like them. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That was @sallyt.

4 Likes

Then thank you @sallyt!

And thank you @CaitlinM for having a good memory (I have no such thing)!

1 Like

I made a 1 egg impossible quiche with broccoli and sausage to snack on, and a tiny chocolate cake to feed a sweet craving.

Love the flavor of the cake — I put a dash of rum in there today.

10 Likes

I love all your tiny bakes! That quiche is adorable, and chocolate cake so inviting. Kudos for treating yourself well.

ETA: Maybe we need a tiny baking thread?

4 Likes

This has been one of the most stressful breads I’ve made. The first time I had made the soaker and when I attempted the dough it just wasn’t working. I tried giving it more time and more folds, and still not getting there. As I was dealing with other stuff and it was getting late, I gave up on the dough.
Second attempt I still had the soaker and again, I just did not have anywhere near the gluten development she has after autolyse and first folds. This clearly was a difference with flour, which I find is more noticeable in bread with hydration this high. Feeling like I had nothing left to lose, I threw the dough into the food processor, since it can get gluten development real fast. And what do you know? After 30 seconds or so I had something actually looking like dough picking up around the blade.
Really I should have let the dough run longer, but I’m always a bit shy with the FP since it can take things too far pretty fast. I still ended up slapping and folding this dough to get it tightened up.
In the end I have to say it was worth it because this bread is awesome. The butter comes through so clearly that it’s hard to believe it’s such a small amount and tastes awesome with the deeply toasted oats. I did up the salt here to 2%.
I would love to make this again perhaps adjusting the hydration to make this more doable as I do feel my dough was still more slack than hers and my bread definitely slouched as a result.

10 Likes

King Arthur’s “ Super Simple Strawberry Cake” which I made simpler using the food processor. This is a fine, light textured cake, very tender, I used half lemon verbena sugar and oil rather than melted butter. It has a high rise, about 2” in the center and supports the strawberry halves with no sinking. I reduced the sugar a bit and it was plenty sweet! Any berry or combination would be a good choice, I have some peaches which I’m considering using as well. A definite repeat for me, this is half in a 6” cake mold. The FM strawberries were delish.

14 Likes

You still have strawbs !?!? So jelly!

I think @Nannybakes would lead the charge on this for sure!

3 Likes

Yes, amazing! A little pricey but very good!

Hahaha….been doing reduced sized baking for a.very long time. I think I popularized 6” baking molds and 3 cup bundts! I don’t care for bakery products hanging around for too long.
ETA I made these yesterday, dry sautéed mushrooms, shallot, garlic chives, tawny port. Topped with Gruyère which then went under the broiler for a minute. These are about 3 1/2” tarts.

9 Likes

I’ve been doing cake half recipes in 6-inch pans for a long time, but you did inspire me to buy an 8-inch tart pan!

1 Like

6” tart pans are very useful as well😁

1 Like

:heart: 'Rooms, cheese and port in a pastry? Better than…

1 Like

But it was lunchtime :joy:

1 Like