What are you baking? Oct 2023

Lol! Maybe it’s me, maybe my mouth is over-interested when it comes to eggs.

And cake!

1 Like

And also maybe the bright side is you aren’t tempted to spend 7383747474 dollars on allegedly super special eggs…?

I spent all those dollars. I think I was more sad they didn’t taste vastly better than I was about the dollars, my mouth felt so let down!

There’s a poultry place near my parents that has double-yolk eggs as a normal thing; now those I still get excited about!

4 Likes

I was very excited early in the pandemic to try duck eggs, and it took me a bit to find them. I was expecting a richer or otherwise different flavor, but it was like… not that different. Granted I got these at a store, not from a farmer, but I was bummed.

1 Like

They have a lovely, soft custardy texture. They were a hot ticket when the IP was everywhere. It was an answer to Starbucks egg bites , pressure cooker style. Fortunately, it was a fad that still has legs but tbh, had the IP not been on the counter in anticipation of another usage, I might not have gotten it out.

4 Likes

Oops! November thread is here.

1 Like

I got so excited about this persimmon bread that I didn’t pay enough attention to the discussion on which kind of persimmons should be used. Today I saw fuyu persimmons at the store and bought them. Can they be used in this recipe? If not, is there a similar recipe someone can share that would work with them? Thanks!

You really do want Hachiyas for this, because when they’re fully ripe and sweet, their insides are pretty much mush. Fuyus can be eaten when they’ve softened up, but I like them much better when they’re still a bit crisp. I mostly use Fuyus not in baked goods, but sliced and added to fruit salads and green salads (they’re a great addition to a fall salad with some nuts). I’d definitely keep an eye out for Hachiyas to use in the persimmon bread.

4 Likes

I recommend to eat the Fuyus or use in salads as @CaitlinM said. They are more crunchy and less sweet than Hachiya persimmons. They don’t turn into an almost custardy pulp the way Hachiya do.
People bake them in tarts, but I think they’re better raw.

2 Likes

After all this time covid happened in our family. My husband had to be taken by ambulance because of a nosebleed that wouldnt stop. He’s home now. Anyways we are on the mend. I had some barlett pears that needed using up so made this recipe with much effort. Its a very easy recipe just my strength isnt back. Served it with french vanilla ice cream and we loved it.

18 Likes

Hope your husband feels much better soon!

1 Like

Ack! Heartbroken. Maybe this will teach me to look before I leap.

Thank you. Hes much better. They did a catharization and he has to be very careful not to sneeze thru his nose or blow it. Its very difficult with a lingering cough.

4 Likes

Who knows, it may turn out to be a fortuitous error if it brings something new to you. I get that you were excited about the baking, though.

2 Likes

Healing vibes ! And this recipe looks lovely !

1 Like

Did you use the amount of roses in the recipe, or more…?

You can try using Fuyu persimmons. You have to get them ripe enough that the flesh is gelatinous.

I eat Fuyu persimmons out of hand. They are nice with cheese. I also like them in a green salad.

2 Likes

The pear gratin looks wonderful and I’m glad your husband is home and feeling a bit better. Hope you continue to gain strength as well.

1 Like

Thank you Linda

1 Like

Catherization? Isn’t that another portal? Cauterization maybe?:laughing:
Had many of those in this lifetime.
Ayr brand nose GEL(saline) helps to keep those membranes flexible.

1 Like