What Are You Baking? November 2022

It would be fun to see her face when she spots that!

2 Likes

David Lebovitz chocolate yogurt cupcakes…les cupcakes in the book, “Gateau”. The recipe is also available on Smitten Kitchen. These have 200g chocolate to 200g. flour, I used TJ’s 72%. Fine crumb and tender but for some reason I felt these would benefit by a little chocolate frosting which they will likely get. The smaller size is just right with an espresso.

9 Likes

King Arthur’s Whole Wheat Apple Muffins.

After a few disappointing bakes with fresh apples this year, I decided to try something with dried apples. This KAF recipe swings both ways – fresh or dehydrated. I like that it uses a lot of layers for flavoring – apples, applesauce, boiled cider – and thought the inclusion of ginger a nice touch. 100% whole wheat is always a bonus in my book. The only change I made was to pre-soak the raisins in two tablespoons of warm apple juice.

These came out tasty, apple-y, and not too moist (my major complaint with fresh apple cakes and muffins). While not as long-lasting as those pumpkin muffins I made the other day, they should hold up for several days if kept wrapped.

8 Likes

I have been enjoying the autumn (baking friendly) weather and the autumn produce/flavors.

I’ve recently baked:

Pear Sour Cream Snacking Cake from Snackable Bakes by Jessie Sheehan

This cake is flavorful and moist. My husband who says that cake is his least favorite dessert ate three slices the first day and another three slices the next day. His usual objection to cake is dryness; this cake is moist.

This cake has been one of my favorites for years. I am a fan of nutmeg (since I started grating it instead of using the icky powdered form). This cake perfumes the house with the scent.

I made these squares (they’re kind of a cross between a cake and a brownie) yesterday. Wow, they are delicious. I gave some to our neighbors who texted me a glowing review.

I made several changes to the recipe:

I assume that the only reason the recipe called for using a mixer is that it’s sponsored by Kenwood. Normally when the fat is in liquid form, you whisk the ingredients (unless you are aerating the eggs which isn’t the case here). I whisked the wet ingredients, then folded in the dry ingredients.

I substituted dried tart cherries for the cranberries. I like dried tart cherries better than I like dried cranberries plus cherries and chocolate pair beautifully.

I thought that twenty minutes at 325 Fahrenheit wouldn’t be long enough. I was correct; the squares took much longer to bake.

FYI, the recipe doesn’t state whether the chestnut puree should be sweetened or not. I used sweetened. The squares are not too sweet.

5 Likes

That looks great! I really love chestnut…

1 Like

I do too. Do you have Dessert Person by Claire Saffitz? If so, I highly recommend that you make the pear/chestnut cake. I made it a couple of weeks ago and I thought it was delicious. Unfortunately, I can’t find the recipe online.

Alice Medrich’s chestnut pound cake is high on my list of favorite cakes. I like to pair it with a tart curd (Meyer lemon, rhubarb, passion fruit, etc.). In Pure Dessert, Medrich says that you can bake it as a bundt cake or two loaf cakes. It’s easy to halve the recipe if you don’t need a lot of cake.

3 Likes

It’s a shame a person that does not favor cakes lives in cake heaven.

I tell him that constantly. I say, “It’s too bad you don’t like cakes because I’m the queen of cakes.”.

His favorite dessert is fruit pie. With a few exceptions I dislike fruit desserts where the fruit is cooked before being baked. Fruit pies are gloppy to me. I like tarts, crisps, galettes, etc.

Also, until I happened upon Stella Parks pie crust recipe, I hated every pie crust I tried. I use Stella Parks’ pie crust recipe to make quiches which my husband adores.

6 Likes

Also, I added a pinch of Kosher salt to the chocolate/chestnut squares. Desserts with no salt make me nervous.

3 Likes

Ha, currently my YouTube feed is overloaded with chestnuts since I subscribe to so many Asian channels and they love their mont-blanc and other chestnut treats. And I’m forced to just ignore them because chestnuts aren’t something I expect to see soon.

In “Cocolat” AM has a recipe for a great-tasting Chestnut Chocolate Torte.

1 Like

Here’s the recipe for anyone who wants it. Personally, I’m not a fan of flourless (or very low flour) cakes.

1 Like

I’ve made the Medrich Chestnut Pound Cake a few times, and agree that it’s great. It taught me the importance of triple sifting: after the first sift it’s obvious that there are two flours; same with the second sift, but to a lesser extent; after the third sift it’s homogeneous.

I love chestnuts, and have a recipe for a Chocolate Chestnut Cake (my wife’s favorite), but I don’t make it often as it’s a lot of work. It’s from Chocolatier magazine, which I think is now defunct. Am I now allowed to post screenshots of the recipe, or is there still a copyright issue? It’s génoise layers filled with chocolate chestnut buttercream and covered with vanilla buttercream. It would make a great Yule log.

1 Like

It sounds delicious. Will one of the moderators weigh in on whether it’s okay to share screenshots of out of print magazines.

From what I understand in copyright (US), lists of ingredients are okay to show, they aren’t protected by copyright. As for the recipes themselves, they can be showed as long as you rewrite the recipe, although a magazine may differs from a cookbook. Maybe try a search to see if the recipes are already published online. I will try to look into the matter. Meanwhile, you can use private messages to send the recipes to each other.

David Lebovitz explained:

If you’re adapting a recipe from a website, link to that site’s original recipe page URL. If you’re adapting a recipe from a cookbook, link to that cookbook on Amazon, the publisher’s website, and/or the author’s website. You can adapt a previously published recipe and republish it, as long as you give attribution. But it should not be a word-for-word republication without permission. When it doubt, ask, then get it in writing.

Source: https://www.davidlebovitz.com/recipe-attribution/

1 Like

Haven’t baked sour dough bread since last spring and now that there’s

snow outside its time. There is such great satisfaction in baking bread. Its a huge loaf and will be divided among my sons.

17 Likes

Gorgeous loaf!!

2 Likes

Thanks after not baking one for awhile, its encouraging

1 Like

It’s so beautiful!

1 Like

We launched a new product/dashboard, so I made a cake to bring in to the office tomorrow to celebrate. I’ve made it before: From the wonderful Snacking Cakes. Sesame cake, and I added the optional chocolate chips. You may note that 2 pieces disappeared out of the middle… quality control! :grin: https://www.washingtonpost.com/food/2020/12/15/sesame-snacking-cake-recipe/

12 Likes