What are you baking? May 2022

Flo Braker’s buttermilk cake with roasted rhubarb and strawberry rhubarb whipped cream. Terrible picture, delicious dessert.

13 Likes

That looks amazing.

One of my favorite cakes!

These are beautiful…

1 Like

Thank you!

I attempted Bravetart’s Tate’s chocolate chip cookies recipe tonight but it was a failure. They were darker than expected (and many reviewers had the same experience) but they didn’t spread out and get thin. I followed the recipe on SE exactly and I wound up with dark , small, and kind of thick cookies.

I’m going to bring them to work and leave them in the teacher’s room. Teachers are scavengers and will eat anything. haha

5 Likes

I think because Gourmet never had weights. Any current BA subscribers who can say whether they’ve added weights yet?

Smitten kitchen double chocolate chip muffins. These were very good. I made the oil, sour cream, dark sugar variant and used half black cocoa and half dutch process cocoa. Next time I’d use butter and increase the salt a bit.

10 Likes

My, those chocolate/chocolate muffins are dramatic looking! I’m thinking one muffin and a cup of coffee would energize me for days. :grinning:

2 Likes

CaitlinM - I’d think it unlikely. The hours of labor needed to rework thousands of recipes at BA / Gourmet / Epicurious to add weights would detract from any miniscule profits they’re realizing from subscriptions.

Oh, I didn’t mean adding weights to recipes in their historic database, I was curious whether BA has started including weights in baking recipes it’s currently publishing in the magazine. (Now that there’s a digital paywall, I’m not going to be able to check it out for myself.)

1 Like

I have made the ATK British style currant scones many times. I always used cups, not weights. They were great but I put a note on the recipe that I needed a lot of flour when kneading the dough before cutting out the biscuits. (Here’s the recipe: https://www.kcet.org/food-discovery/food/weekend-recipe-british-currant-scones)

It calls for 3 cups of flour or 15 oz. The last time I made these, I decided to try using the weight. To my great surprise, I needed much more than 3 cups to make the 15 oz. No wonder I always had to add so much flour later!

If you make these, highlight the part that says to lower the oven from 500 to 425 … once I forgot!

4 Likes

12 Likes

Beautiful eclairs!! Worth all your work. So tempting looking, I think I’ll have to make them again soon.

1 Like

Thank you! I must admit I’m tempted to make matcha ones next.

1 Like

They include weights for some ingredients, not for others: https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/chocolate-matcha-butter-mochi-cake

For some ingredients, like honey, peanut butter, and nutella, weights should be pretty much required. If you use the nutritional facts (1TBSP cornstarch is 8g, e.g.) to calculate yourself, it can be way off from what was actually used in the recipe.

I have to make those scones - thanks for posting the link and photos! Beautiful!

Thank you! I think they are great. (Maybe a little dry but strawberry preserves take care of that.) My last batch of currants were getting a little old. Next time I’d soak them in a tiny amount of brandy. My “eaters” aren’t picky.

2 Likes

Love the idea of the brandy soak. Brandy-soaked fruit scones are some of my favorite.

I also like scones a little on the dry side, so … perfect! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Egg whites left over from pastry cream, so baking a favorite cookie: Alice Medrich’s chunky double chocolate and coconut meringues. These feature 70% dark chocolate, ideally coconut white chocolate, but most times I have to use plain, salted almonds, and coconut flakes. I add a little salt to the meringue itself.

7 Likes