What are you baking? May 2022

I don’t know why your link won’t load for me.

Pour into pan first then rest into cupcakes.

Should I fill up to one inch below rim? About how long for cake? For cupcakes?

It’s working for me. Maybe try again?

Rhubarb custard cake from Claire Saffitz via bon appetit. Beyond annoyed that there is now a paywall for both BA and Epicurious. I’ve made this cake annually since it was published and love it so much that I started growing rhubarb! This cake has two stalks from my plants!

11 Likes

Nothing in the oven, but sourdough buttermilk English muffins came off the griddle.

6 Likes

Apricot strawberry tart variation…pâte sucrée with a couple of tablespoons strawberry lemon jam on the base. Fruits were sprinkled with sifted lemon verbena sugar and brushed with apricot jam on removal from oven.
Strawberry apricot gelato…had 4 apricots to use up, the strawberry was the dominant flavor in the gelato. A quality control taste was absolutely necessary. I love gelato!

<

10 Likes

Rhubarb scones from Food52. These have butter and heavy cream, so are rich and tender, but the tart rhubarb pop balances it. Very tasty warm. Baked 6 and froze the other half of the dough. https://food52.com/recipes/4318-naughty-rhubarb-scones/amp

9 Likes

The Bundt Squared pan is “officially” a 10 C. pan, so you’d want to make correction - 8 -additional 50 gram (1/4 c. batter) cupcakes (12 total) to be similar to the recipe’s instructions. Practically, just fill the pan to the level you want, and make cupcakes with whatever is left.

1 Like

Yes, fill to 1 inch below the rim of the pan. Expect it to bake about 55 minutes, check at 50 minutes. Cupcakes usually take 15 minutes (edited to add 20 minutes per other recipes for lemon sour cream cupcakes), check at 12 minutes. Per my baking buddy’s mom “You can always bake a cake longer, but you can’t un-bake one you’ve left in the oven too long.”

1 Like

Super delicious potato rolls. Lots of mashed potato, a little rye flour, a tiny bit of rye starter and of course lots of poppy seeds.

12 Likes

Funny. Only the title would load to my I Pad. I just tried it on my PC and it worked!

Glad to know those are good - I’ve had that recipe saved for years!

This is GORGEOUS Sally. Google pics reminded me that I made this a year ago… it didn’t look as good though!

1 Like

Sourdough bagels with yudane. Will see what the yudane does for the keeping qualities.
I used the classic malt syrup boil, but I prefer my mix of lye and malt syrup, so I will go back to that next batch.

10 Likes

Isn’t it delicious? I love it so much.

1 Like

Want to be my nextdoor neighbor/buddy? I want sallyt and Nannybakes on the same block with us. I’m applying as tester/taster. Mig and others too. Y’all are so much better bakers than I but knowing you here inspires me!

Formerly “walker.”

6 Likes

Thanks for all the good advice from you, MiG and Caitlin. I washed some dishes as I went along and I still have a whole sink full left!

I can’t see where that square pan is 10 cups; seems like 8 to me. Why doesn’t Nordic Ware put cup size on all their pans??

It was a minor miracle but filling the pan below one inch was perfect. It made 3 cupcakes and my brain was a jumble timing for cupcakes AND cake but it ended up ok.

I remembered how you said you spray pan to holy hell and back and used silicone brush too. I used Baker’s Joy. Then I prayed to Bundt Gods that it would release. (Recipe said to wait 15 minutes so that’s what I did.)

I couldn’t find the right size container for it so will transport on this cardboard and will wrap loosely with foil. Taking it tomorrow to a friend for his upcoming birthday.

13 Likes

Oops

Same photo appeared twice

Perfection! Lucky recipient!!