What are You Baking? March 2024

Looking good — settled nicely and evenly.

Into the fridge, kinda excited to cut into it tomorrow :crossed_fingers:t3::crossed_fingers:t3::crossed_fingers:t3:

Wondering if a caramel sauce or something like that would be good — I saw it in one of the recipes.

4 Likes

I also had one similar to yours. It was delicious and the top was a very thin layer, no problem cutting it. I’m sure yours will be more than delicious. As far as sauces go, lots of various ones out there but honestly, I think it stands on its own.

Add images here

8 Likes

And this morning’s bake…6” version, pistachio again. This is “Going over the river and through the woods”, also made SK chocolate soufflé cake both of which are coincidentally gluten free so my granddaughter can indulge.
Happy Easter everyone!

15 Likes

Same KA cream tea scones base, but this time dried blueberries and some lemon oil. I tossed the bluebs with the dry ingredients, which worked much better. I brushed the baked tops with a bit of the ginger syrup I made last month.

Delicious.

I’m freezing the rest of this half-batch to see how they bake up.

18 Likes

Here’s a slice. Nice, light crumb. We had it with butter.

14 Likes

That’s a great looking scone.

4 Likes

Well this is exactly what mine looks like in person, so I feel better already :grinning:

3 Likes

An oldie but a goodie. A lemon meringue cake from Feast by Nigella Lawson. The cake base is topped withe the meringue and baked. I made the lemon curd from Around My French Table , Dorie Greenspan. It uses whole eggs and you have to be very careful not to overcook it.

On line recipe https://www.nigella.com/recipes/lemon-meringue-cake:

20 Likes

That looks spectacular. Grabbing the recipe for our lemon-loving household.

This link worked for me https://www.nigella.com/recipes/lemon-meringue-cake

2 Likes

Spectacular!

2 Likes

Thanks. As Jane from EYB says a great dessert with very little effort.

1 Like

Made the Ultimate Moist Fluffy Ridiculous Coconut Cake for tonight’s Easter dinner with the fam. It isn’t difficult but it is on a Milk Bar level because you have to make 4 components before you can assemble it. I always make it over the course of 2 days. Yesterday I baked the cakes, made the coconut syrup, and made the pastry cream (minus coconut flakes). This morning I made the French Meringue Buttercream and assembled.

The cakes didn’t rise as much as they normally do. I don’t know if that is the fault of old baking powder or just not beating the batter enough. It was TOUGH to slice those 2 thin cakes into 2 layers each. At one point before slicing the 2nd cake I considered just doing 3 layers but I was like “in for a penny in for a pound”. The coconut syrup and pastry cream ratio to cake was off and the inside was too wet IMO. The buttercream was delicious and amazing as always.

I’ve made this cake many times. Not sure why the cakes were so flat this time. In any case my family loved it and raved about it. I left the leftover cake there and will pick up the cake stand later this week. Success with them. Partial failure IMO but they don’t know the difference.

13 Likes

April thread is here.

1 Like

Magnificent

Maybe I’ll attempt some day

2 Likes

Looks like that coconut cake recipe uses 10 egg whites and 3 yolks amid all the components. How do you use up the extra yolks?

Carbonara is the first thing that popped into my head.

1 Like

Inspired by @LulusMom1’s WMP post, I was looking at savory clafoutis recipes. Many of those (recipes for quiche as well) call for extra egg yolks. The occasional scone recipe will, also.

2 Likes

oh that’s a good idea! I usually just combine them with some whole eggs to do a frittata or quiche or something. I could also freeze them for future use in ice cream.

3 Likes

This looks so good. I’ve had this on my Nigella list for years and have never made it. This sent me down a Nigella rabbit hole that took quite a while to crawl out of.

1 Like

This recipe sounds like coconut heaven.

1 Like