What are you baking? March 2023

What a wonderful sentiment! :heart:

Great-looking quiche; beautifully browned crust!

Did you par-bake the crust?

1 Like

I am not sure what would happen if you just added cocoa powder and a little more honey. Try a half batch and see?

Another idea: add chocolate chips or chunks to the basic recipe?

1 Like

Gorgeous crumb! That is going to make some mighty fine sandwiches. :drooling_face:

1 Like

Reminds me of no-bake chocolate oat cookies I made one year for a cookie exchange — I think I used just melted chocolate, butter, and oats, but other recipes used cocoa, butter, and milk, or cocoa and peanut butter.

Agree with @rasam that you could easily transform this to chocolate!

2 Likes

Thank you! Everytime I make this one I think I should make it more often.

Wish you could overnight me a loaf! :wink: (I have recipes like that too that each time I make them I think, why don’t I make this more often? We humans are odd beings.)

3 Likes

Do you think chocolate chips/chunks will add much saturated fat (cholesterol)??

1/2 batch… good idea!!

Thank you!

I didn’t actually so I’m surprised it ended up as crisp as it did as I’ve had issues with soggy bottoms in the past. I just baked the whole thing at 180 degrees Celsius for about an hour with no fan assist and it turned out great.

Hi @Desert-Dan: I don’t have expertise in nutrition or health science to answer that.
Maybe you can look at the information on the bag of chocolate chips and see if you can make it work for Sunshine?

1 Like

Yes… we are going to do some “label reading” tomorrow, as we are doing our “BIG” grocery shopping then.

2 Likes

I lowered my cholesterol without drugs by almost entirely eliminating beef and pork. I miss bacon and salami.

Thank you… Yes, we are going to try that as well as adding more veggie meals to her diet.
I can’t go “cold turkey” and remove all beef and pork from Sunshine’s meals, but I can cut back her intake of those items.

2 Likes

Was playing around with hojicha crème brûlée. This turned out delicious, but I think I’ve settled on equal parts cream and milk for my favorite crème brûlée that doesn’t feel too fatty on the tongue. I used half the amount of milk as cream this time. The tea makes it taste less fatty, but it can still take a reduction.
I also might cut the tea down slightly, though I love the flavor as is. The color comes out pretty dark since I have ground hojicha rather than leaves. I was hoping for a slightly more creamy color.

1 Like

My last batch of orange rolls for a while since I used up all my candied peel. Though I might do a version with a fresh orange paste if I find myself wanting to make some.

13 Likes

So pretty. My local grocer is running raspberries at BOGO next week. I was thinking to make jam but this looks much better than doing jam again.

Do you have a standard recipe you use that you can link? Or if you just do it all “in your head” (as I kind of suspect is true for a lot of people posting on the “Baking?” threads), I’ll just search out some recipes.

Thanks!

1 Like

Oh… nevermind!

It’s ever changing but approximate. For the raspberries, I used 185 g raspberries, 40 g sugar mixed with 9 g tapioca starch. Do you have a pastry crust you like to use? This quantity was for a 6” tart. The crust had some almond flour, confectionary sugar but any sweet pastry flour would work. The crust was an adaptation of a Dan Lepard crust. The above raspberry quantities make a non runny filling, sliceable but not too firm.

3 Likes

Great, thanks so much for responding. This is a great start. Thanks again.

2 Likes

You are very welcome!

1 Like

Made a small sachertorte to use up some apricot jam. Not bad. Really could use more jam, but the point was to use up what I had. I made the classic glaze typically used that contains water and sugar, and I like how shiny it is, but it is a bit sweet, so part of me likes the idea of ganache that many opt for.

14 Likes