What are you baking? March 2023

Thank you! Very clever to keep that all handy in the freezer. You are my idol. :blush:

2 Likes

Oh my!I am very flattered. I wrap the crust in stretch-tite, wrap the decorative shapes separately, then wrap together and zip-loc. I like to keep a few in freezer for spur of the moment usage! I write the ingredients on a piece of masking tape and place over the stretch-tite so I don’t use a sweetened one for quiche.

2 Likes

I love that beautifully browned crust.

1 Like

Thank you! Baked on a stone, convection bake @425* for 12/15 minutes, reduce to 385 ish, then 350*.

By the way … the recipe calls for one cup of sour cream OR buttermilk. I had fresh of both, couldn’t decide so did 50-50. What do others use? First slice we tried cake was still a little warm, cut nicely. I couldn’t really taste the zests … maybe double next time?

1 Like

I typically use buttermilk as I’m more likely to have it. I’ve never made the tangerine version of this cake, only the original Madison recipe flavored with vanilla. I think the cake tastes even better the next day.

Sunshine’s cholesterol test came back a little high, so I made up some shredded apple (bread-type) cookies with no butter. I substituted apple sauce in for the butter. The texture is actually pretty good considering there is no butter in them.

Sunshine isn’t happy about the “new” dinner and dessert menu, but until her cholesterol comes back down – changes will be made.

10 Likes

You didn’t ask for suggestions, but I’ll stick my nose in anyway.

Here’s one of my favorite chocolate cake recipes: whole wheat, very little oil (2 T.), no butter. It does have an egg, but you might find a sub for that. You don’t need pastry flour, either - you can sub 1/2 c. regular cake flour + 6 T. whole wheat flour.

5 Likes

Thank you so much!! Yes, I’m open to any ideas, especially when those “chocolate emergencies” happen and her sweet tooth is in high gear.
Sunshine is already voicing displeasure over the changes, but now I can make her something chocolate.
I printed out the recipe and will make this cake after she finishes the apple cookies.

3 Likes

You are quite welcome! I make this one frequently when having a choco emergency of my own. :yum:

2 Likes

If you like ginger, I recommend David Lebovitz’s nonfat gingersnaps (they’re chewy, not crisp, and quite gingery).

6 Likes

Mediterranean Lemon Cake from Standard Baking Co. Pastries.

A cake calling for a lot of egg, almost equal amounts olive oil and melted butter, and just a dash of milk.

The sugar and eggs are beaten together first. The recipe calls for dry ingredients next and fats last, but I did it in the opposite order (as discussed on other threads). The only other change I made was to add 1 t. of limoncello to the cake and a half teaspoon of same to the glaze. I made a half recipe in a 6 ½ c. springform pan.

Another terrific cake made even better by its simplicity - lightly lemony with a smooth crumb and not overly sweet.

16 Likes

This looks amazing!

1 Like

KAF’s sandwich rye in a pain de mie pan.

I’ve made this before, both the version with the rye enhancer and the one with potato flour. Always comes out great, but I have to admit the rye enhancer adds a extra spike of aroma and flavor. I like the use of pickle brine and mustard in the recipe, and always double down on the caraway seeds (but omit the dill seeds).

If anyone is thinking of making it, I would suggest reading the reviews. I use homemade dill pickle brine here with good results, but your mileage may vary with a commercial brine. If excessive salt is a concern, you can always start by subbing some of the brine with water.

I’ll post a crumb shot once we cut into it in the morning. Meanwhile, the house smells terrific!

13 Likes

I was watching youtube this afternoon and stumbled across a simple 3 ingredient (no cholesterol) sweet snack for Sunshine.
Just Quick Oats, Peanut Butter and Honey (pinch of salt - optional)… Easy Peasy!! So I made up a batch and Sunshine loves them. They won’t fulfill a “chocolate emergency” but for a quick and simple treat they’ll do the job.

12 Likes

Savory and sweet cakes from BCOTM Gateau.

One with roasted cherry tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and basil (details here).

And one with chocolate, almond paste, and candied orange peel (details here).

15 Likes

Looks like it would be easy to add chocolate to the recipe?

2 Likes

Do you think I could add unsweetened cocoa powder and just a bit more honey?? Or would that muddle the flavors??

I would need to add a chocolate component without adding any cholesterol (like butter).

Here’s the crumb shot on the rye.

18 Likes

I baked a mushroom quiche for lunches this week. I used store bought shortcrust pastry which made this very easy and quick to make. It uses Gruyère cheese, red onion, shiitake and king oyster mushrooms and basil. It was delicious and such a joy to make which sounds strange but it just made my soul happy :slight_smile:

17 Likes