What are you baking? March 2023

Maple crumble cheesecake squares. The crumble for these is made with no butter, but rather maple butter, which I made myself. It is indeed a bit punishing on the arms, but fun to make. These are a good level of sweetness, which was my only concern.

12 Likes

How long did it take to reduce the syrup to butter, and how did you heat it?

You heat to 235° and then cool down to 100° and start stirring. Then it takes maybe 10-15 minutes. I didn’t want to use a mixer since that’s a long time, but considering it’s low speed it would probably be fine. The syrup does get pretty thick, though, so I don’t know if that would be tough on the mixer.

4 Likes

3 Likes

:grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

LOL! That definitely belongs on the Silliness and Food Funnies thread!

Your Napoleon is beautiful. This was my grandpa’s standard celebration cake. He made it with crisp pastry layers, pastry cream in between, and covered it the same way - with pastry shards. It was always beautiful and delicious. Brings me back a little.

4 Likes

Thanks! You should make one sometime. It really is surprisingly easy and quick. I know you can’t get your husband into pastry cream, but maybe using the mousseline filling might win him over. :joy: Both fillings seem to be equally popular and overall I think the majority of recipes I’ve seen are actually mousseline by a slight margin.
Of course you can just make yourself a tiny one with pastry cream like I did here all for yourself.

1 Like

Thank you for the vote of confidence. He is currently giving lip service to being more open minded. I put sour cream into the black forest cake layers. I’ve never made a crunchy pastry so that seems a bit intimidating. But it would be a good skill to learn, since I strongly prefer desserts with crunchy or laminated pastry over the mushy smoosh that is american cakes.

2 Likes

Here’s one that might be of interest to you:

1 Like

Looks delicious! Have you made the bluebarb-lime crumble pie from Midwest Made? Blueberries with rhubarb, and lime zest… yum.

Blueberry Oat Drop Scones from the Standard Baking Co. Pastries cookbook.

I ordered the book last night, but couldn’t wait to receive it, and made the scones from the flip book shared and discussed up-thread. I made a half batch and used a #10 cookie scoop for six generous scones.

I liked these quite a bit. They are not at all sweet – for 300 g. of flour the full recipe calls for all of 4 T. of brown sugar. Thus, the cream and butter flavors come through nicely, as do the blueberries. This is a plus, in my book, as I’m not a fan of cloyingly sweet baked goods. Will make again.

I also baked a big orange cake from Gateau – deets on the BCOTM thread here.

8 Likes

A big garlic bun. Gotta roll it more loosely next time so it doesn’t end up so high in the center.

13 Likes

It’s calling my name!

1 Like

Mom pinged me at 10:45 saying she was baking a cake in one of my Bundt pans (she’s never baked in them!) and wanted to chat about some technical aspects of removing the cake and glazing it. I was thrilled to help.

I found the recipe she mentioned. It’s a box of cake mix and a package of pudding. I KNOW it’s fine to do this but I’m disappointed anyway. If she’d have asked me I would’ve helped her with a better recipe.

Sad trombone.

4 Likes

It might still be delicious, no?

One of the first cakes I ever made called for a boxed mix (yellow cake) boxed vanilla pudding and cream Sherry. The aroma while baking … And it was quite wonderful.

3 Likes

She sent me a photo of the successful release of the cake onto the rack (this was the move she called me for advice on. ) She did it! Yay! Even fetched the cardboard round I told her to use to make everything easier.

It’s a surprise for her best friend’s birthday, a Bailey’s Irish Cream cake. The glaze has Bailey’s in it. I’m sure everyone at their weekly cards game tomorrow will love it, and it takes a lot of courage to bake something new at her age so I am very proud of her. She has watched me do it so many times over the past three years, so she new to drown the pan in Baker’s Joy like I do, and what to use to poke holes in it for the glaze, etc.

11 Likes

When baking at 10:45, for a next-day surprise party I’d use a boxed mix too. Less chance of failure due to mis-measuring. Glad your Mom still is willing to try new things, due to your influence. I remember when you first were cooking for her that menus were quite constrained.

5 Likes

Oh the time had nothing to do with the mix, trust me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Recently on Reddit someone wondered about making a chocolate cake that could take on a pastel color, so effectively a white cake.

My suggestions were using cocoa butter, steeping nibs in the dairy for the cake due to my experience making cocoa nib ice cream, using good quality chocolate extract, maybe some white crème de cacao, and brushing the layers with a syrup that contains white crème de cacao. There is also such a thing as cacao extract, though I have no experience with it.
Ultimately I was left very curious and being that I always have egg whites, and have some amazing quality cocoa butter (one perk of living here is access to truly excellent cocoa butter since we grow so much cacao), I decided to bake an 1/8th sheet tray portion of this cake myself.

First of all, it’s delicious. The batter was delicious and the resulting cake is as well. I left out vanilla to make sure it wouldn’t interfere with the flavor.
This is based on Stella’s white cake which contains a portion of coconut oil for a more white crumb. I replaced the coconut oil with cocoa butter. One thing to be mindful of is that cocoa butter needs to be creamy, but you really need to be careful of letting it cool much longer than that because it goes hard to a point it won’t cream successfully very fast. So melt and then cool down just until it’s opaque and creamy! Ideally just letting it cool at room temp is safer.

For the nibs, I steeped them in buttermilk for about 30 minutes. As you can see, the crumb is a bit more beige, but it should be able to take on color without issue. To be fair I also strained through a fine sieve after steeping, but I have a finer one that would be best, as tiny bits of nibs passed through.

I am in love with how tasty this cake, but want to get opinions from people who don’t know anything about it to determine if it truly tastes like chocolate to them. I think getting some chocolate extract would take it over the top if any doubt remains. I think I’ll get some to try this again sometime.

My mom was the first person to try it with no knowledge of the ingredients. When I asked her what it tasted like she unequivocally answered “chocolate”.

8 Likes