What are you baking? March 2022

I’ve made Lahey’s no knead bread and I’ve made Ottolengh’s. For me, Ottolenghi’s is a vast improvement.

2 Likes

To be honest, I’ve not found need or even room for improvement on this loaf as it has naturally evolved. Meaning how we each unintentionally adapt recipes to the way we work.

3 Likes

I’m guessing the buttermilk adds a faux-sourdough tang and some tenderness too?

Of late I’ve veered towards using SE’s revised version of the no knead recipe the NYT popularized — it has a longer fridge rest (based on the baking steel pizza dough, I’ve assumed).

But as I don’t have @pilgrim’s willpower to give away most of the loaf, I always use a tangzhong now to keep it moist longer, whichever the base recipe.

1 Like

Hi @Shellybean - lovely quiche!

Would you mind sharing your crust recipe?

1 Like

Thank you!

I used this recipe but I substituted 100 g of the plain flour with ww flour. And I bumped the salt up to around 5 grams, so it was likely more like 3/4 tsp salt.

3 Likes

I’ve been baking all our bread, mostly sourdough, for the past 16/17 years. I just don’t like the stuff in the stores anymore.

4 Likes

Hello fellow bakers - going by my name Stef(skleg) on Chowhound. Slowly getting back into the swing of things.
I baked the Swirled Spiced Sour Cream Bundt Cake from Baking with Dorie. It’s a lovely moist cake with a lovely swirl of spices,chocolate and pecans. It was a big bundt that lasted for 5 days but stayed nice and fresh.

21 Likes

To my taste, the crust on Lahey’s version has a nice texture the first day, but not on subsequent days. I like Ottolenghi’s version up to and including the fourth day.

Lahey’s version in my view is less flavorful than Ottolenghi’s version, both the crust and the interior.

I find a 24 hour initial rise to be more convenient than an 18 hour rise.

I very much appreciate that Ottolenghi’s version doesn’t call for the dough to be put into a hot pot. I rarely escaped doing that step of Lahey’s version without burning myself.

3 Likes

Her recipes are just so good! That looks delicious.

Rose Levy Beranbaum’s Prosciutto Ring (Lard Bread) from The Bread Bible (p. 370).

I’ve been wanting to make this for quite some time. A quick and easy yeast bread to bake, there is no preferment or overnight retard, yet it turns out to have a surprising amount of flavor. I used bread flour, 50/50 soppressata and pepperoni sausages, and kurobuta bacon fat for the lard.

On delving into the recipe, I was confused by 2 moments.

First, Rose calls for either 2 c. + 3 T. bread flour, or 360 grams. Somebody must have a heavy hand when measuring, as I would be hard pressed to get 360 grams out of that volume of flour. I went with weight, however, and based on results that seems to be the right decision. This was reinforced by a remark which I later found at the end of the instructions for mixing in a bread machine, giving a weight of raw dough very close to my own calculated weight. FYI I used a stand mixer initially, and switched to hand kneading to knead in the meats.

Second, it is not clear about the use of lard. For all methods, she calls for addition of the lard during mixing, and then again for glazing after the rise. At no point, however, does she specify the amount of lard called for is to be divided. I checked a couple of blogs featuring this bake, and both indicated the lard was used for glazing, only. I went with that, thinking I’d rather err on the side of having a lean dough rather than inhibiting the rise with fat. Again, going by results, I think it was a good decision.

I loved this bread. But then, I love savory, bready things in general. It was quite tender, with a slightly crispy, flaky crust. The flavor and heat of the meats came through nicely. You could taste the bacon in the glaze. I think it would make a terrific picnic loaf, served with some cheese and olives. The leftover is well-wrapped in the fridge; we’ll see how it holds up for tomorrow’s breakfast.

14 Likes

Looks amazing. I’m a huge fan of this bread from NYC bakeries. You should try out Peter Reinhart’s casatiello sometime if you haven’t. It’s a brioche similar to this and one of my favorite breads.

2 Likes

Oh! Thanks for the referral - I’ve got that recipe in BBA. It looks great, and right up my alley.

I have one more fruit focaccia to bake (Joanne Chang), and then my future is wide open. I’ll try and tackle the casatiello right after that.

2 Likes

Some things are famous for a reason. Your’s looks so good! (I should make a Texas sheet cake, too - have read recipes and mentions of them many times).

3 Likes

Stella Parks’ sheet cake is absolutely incredible. Definitely one of my favorite cakes!

4 Likes

This is really comparing apples and oranges given the ingredients in each. Lahey’s recipe is a lean dough (no oil, dairy or other tenderizing ingredients) and 70-75% hydration. The Ottolenghi recipe is 90% hydration (counting both water and buttermilk) and the buttermilk acts as a tenderizer. Both have their uses. I love the thick, crispy crust of the Lahey for eating alongside a soup or stew, but I don’t love biting through it in a sandwich. Conversely, I’m guessing the Ottolenghi recipe makes a terrific sandwich bread.

3 Likes

Actually the Ottolenghi version has a thick crisp crust.

I used pioneer woman’s recipe but I have the Bravetart book and always like her recipes. Will compare them and try Stella’s next time.

2 Likes

Stella’s recipe is on Serious Eats, not her book.

1 Like

Thanks saved me fruitlessly searching.

1 Like

Here’s Stella’s recipe:

3 Likes