What are you baking? March 2022

Wanting to bake sourdough, I decided to make colomba since I still have candied orange peel and it’s one festive bread I’ve never made. Honestly compared to panettone it’s much easier, though they’re similar. I made the dough late last night because I know at temperatures here it would be ready to go in no more than 8 hours. Sure enough I woke up even earlier than expected and with not even 7 hours of rising time I found the dough looking absolutely huge. I do not have colomba molds, and honestly even real deal colomba molds do not look like doves, so I don’t think my makeshift mold turned out too bad. Next time I’ll try a suggestion of using a disposable aluminum pan and molding that into shape. I made the other one free form and it turned out quite ugly. Due to lack of proper molds I wasn’t able to cool these upside down so they collapsed a bit, but I’m ok with it because at least it means my colomba will be light as air, as they should be.
I made a traditional one with candied orange peel and the other with semisweet and milk chocolate. Still waiting for them to cool to have a taste.

12 Likes

Hi @Shellybean nice to see that tou found your way!

1 Like

Hello, Olunia, thank you! Nice to see you and other familiar names!

1 Like

I am thrilled with the crumb! It is the characteristic feather-light, shreddable crumb of a good panettone and pandoro. The glaze I used for these is also wonderful. It’s made with egg whites, ground almonds, sugar, flour, and cocoa powder. Next time I’m putting more whole almonds on top because I love the crunch.

12 Likes

This sounds delicious.

3 Likes

Is this the grapefruit white chocolate one from Snacking Cakes? Oh, I see lime zest? Sexy photo!

1 Like

YAY @rstuart! SO happy to hear it!

1 Like

And looks amazing!

1 Like

It is! That’s grapefruit zest.

BLACK & WHITE COOKIES, from former COTM over on Chowhound, Modern Comfort Food (Ina Garten). I finally got around to making these and was surprised at how unfiddly they were, considering. In the end, these are tasty cookies, but still not quite the Black & Whites of my childhood. The texture isn’t quite soft enough (maybe the cook time is too long?) and the frosting doesn’t taste like NYC cookies (the chocolate side is delicious, but should be frosting, not ganache…). Still, I will enjoy every last one of these.

16 Likes

As you love blood oranges, I highly recommend that you make Ottolenghi’s Ancho Chile/Tangerine substituting blood oranges for the tangerines.

The recipe is in Flavor. Ottolenghi says that he created the recipe with blood oranges and recommends that you use them if you have access to them.

I’ve made it twice. It’s the best flan I’ve ever tasted.

https://ottolenghi.co.uk/recipes/tangerine-and-ancho-chilli-flan

5 Likes

This sounds good. How much of the ancho flavor do you get? Hard to imagine in a custard.

The ancho certainly isn’t strong, but it lend depth to the flan.

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

Hi @bmorecupcake - nice to see you after a while!

I make brownies with and without browned butter, and I really did not expect to taste a difference, because: chocolate!

But surprisingly, I can - it’s a subtle caramelized flavor, and enhances the overall deliciousness.

(I don’t bother if I’m taking the brownies elsewhere — which is most often — but when I give in and make some for myself, it’s worth the extra few minutes.)

(in ccc I think I want to but I don’t think I actually can taste the difference… I guess I will have to make some again to confirm… the things we do for research :wink:)

7 Likes

It’s odd how that happens. Looking at the batters, you would think for sure chocolate would mask the flavor with brownies but not cookies. Maybe it has to do with how much of the batter is exposed or the final internal temperature. As you said, time for research.

2 Likes

I am not a baker; I haven’t the patience. So no-knead bread is my thing. I made a loaf yesterday because my granddaughter was coming the spend the day. She buttered a slice and asked, “Ama, do you make bread EVERY day?” I explained that, no, only when she and her family were coming over.

I send the remains of any loaf home with them so I won’t wolf it.

14 Likes

Nice crust on the loaf.
Do you have a recipe or recipe link that you could post?
Please and thank you.

I use the original NYT recipe (behind a paywall). Here is a clone.

2 Likes

Quiche made with spinach, bacon, and Comte. Hadn’t made quiche in forever and this was so good, especially with the crust, which I made with half lard and a portion of whole wheat flour. I might add one more egg next time because this is a very softly set custard and my mom is weird about things that are soft. I only used 2 eggs in this one. I always like to use some creme fraiche in quiche, so I used up the last of some kefir cream I had.

12 Likes