What are you baking? March 2022

Thanks sound delicious. I’ve bookmarked these.

I love baking with blood oranges, but have found them less available here in the burbs.

1 Like

Mom wanted something sweet for her best friend’s birthday today, to have with a special ice cream she’d bought.

We considered chocolate cake, but then settled on a pan of chocolate chip bars. I haven’t made these in at least 20 years, maybe more. Settled on a Sally’s Baking Addiction recipe, as it corresponded to the size pan I had (9x9.)

I got a snap before they went in the oven, but not after. Like most of Sally’s recipes, these were straightforwardly good and the directions were very clear. She doesn’t call for the butter to be browned, but I always do so now.

choc chip bars

10 Likes

Wow that looks inviting @mig
You baked a cake with browned butter and I’ve made Rice Krispy treats with it.
Browned butter would make a great topic to discuss.
What does everyone bake/cook with browned butter?
Anyone interessted in creating the thread?

1 Like

Dessert Person by Claire Saffitz calls for brown butter in several recipes.

Blueberry Brown Butter Buckwheat Skillet Pancake. I’ve made these several times. They are wonderful.

The Corn Muffins in Dessert Person also call for brown butter. I’ve made them twice. They are so good that both times my husband ate six the first day. I can’t find the recipe online, but if you like to bake you should buy Dessert Person.

2 Likes

Since there have been a few people sharing baking recipes about uses for brown butter.

I thought that it might be fun to open up this discussion to a larger crowd.
For those who want to share there then the link is provided below.

1 Like

I once made the same chocolate chip cookie recipe with and without browned butter (adding water to substitute for the moisture loss) and no one could tell the difference after baking. There was a noticeable difference between the raw cookie doughs. I’m curious, has anyone else done a similar side-by-side comparison? I am going to try again one day without chocolate chips, just plain cookie dough.

3 Likes

I LOVE blood oranges. It might be worth it to make an account with BA to access this recipe.

it’s free!

Buckwheat Cream Scones, Your Way from Grains for Every Season. I mixed in chopped frozen cherries, and ran out of cream so used some buttermilk, and subbed Greek yogurt for sour cream. They were tender and delicious! Can definitely see any type of fruit being mixed in. I especially love blackberries in scones. They are not sweet at all so really needed the icing.

9 Likes

I know, I’m just annoyed about having to make a new account, remember the password, log in, etc.

2 Likes

I was able to view the recipe for free, just not the “full recipe”. The only difference I saw was ratings and reviews.

I pay for access to David Lebovitz and Alison Roman, but Epicurious is full of product endorsements and ads which makes me disinclined to pay for the recipes.

By the way, I liked the blood orange/polenta/poppy seed shortbread even better the second day.

1 Like

I find in chocolate chip cookies it honestly doesn’t come through that well. Whereas you can definitely taste it in financiers or cornbread.

2 Likes

Hi SallyT! Finally made my way over from CH… same name. I haven’t done much baking in the past few weeks but did have friends over for dinner last week-end and… I made this cake! Also loved it…

11 Likes

Wanting to bake sourdough, I decided to make colomba since I still have candied orange peel and it’s one festive bread I’ve never made. Honestly compared to panettone it’s much easier, though they’re similar. I made the dough late last night because I know at temperatures here it would be ready to go in no more than 8 hours. Sure enough I woke up even earlier than expected and with not even 7 hours of rising time I found the dough looking absolutely huge. I do not have colomba molds, and honestly even real deal colomba molds do not look like doves, so I don’t think my makeshift mold turned out too bad. Next time I’ll try a suggestion of using a disposable aluminum pan and molding that into shape. I made the other one free form and it turned out quite ugly. Due to lack of proper molds I wasn’t able to cool these upside down so they collapsed a bit, but I’m ok with it because at least it means my colomba will be light as air, as they should be.
I made a traditional one with candied orange peel and the other with semisweet and milk chocolate. Still waiting for them to cool to have a taste.

12 Likes

Hi @Shellybean nice to see that tou found your way!

1 Like

Hello, Olunia, thank you! Nice to see you and other familiar names!

1 Like

I am thrilled with the crumb! It is the characteristic feather-light, shreddable crumb of a good panettone and pandoro. The glaze I used for these is also wonderful. It’s made with egg whites, ground almonds, sugar, flour, and cocoa powder. Next time I’m putting more whole almonds on top because I love the crunch.

12 Likes

This sounds delicious.

3 Likes

Is this the grapefruit white chocolate one from Snacking Cakes? Oh, I see lime zest? Sexy photo!

1 Like