What Are You Baking? June 2023

Stella Parks’ Nilla wafers with the egg white variation and some ground vanilla bean added. Delicious!

13 Likes

Yet another attempt at GF pizza… this was the recipe from Baked to Perfection by Katarina Cermelj, who’s a chemist by training. I really appreciate the scientific explanations throughout the book.

This dough contains tapioca starch, millet flour, and sorghum flour, as well as psyllium husk powder for faux gluten. It was super easy to make, though I used instant yeast and so next time will add it to the dry ingredients and save a mixing bowl.

The photos are: unbaked crust, parbaked crust, and finished product. I did get some good air bubbles ( not visible here) and a bit of tang like you’d get with a slow fermented dough. I’ll call it a success!

11 Likes

I’m not at all sure that popovers will work in a silicon pan, but just realized that your pan’s dimensions are quite similar to the Nordicware Petite Popovers pan that I own and used for many experimental attempts at popovers. The King Arthur popovers recipe, recommended by CH’er Nannybakes is the one that finally worked for me. Using a popover pan, this recipe will make six standard popovers; or 18 minis. The minis need to bake about 10 minutes less than indicated; the standard popovers, about 5 minutes more.

Bonus - Here’s a link to a blogger’s recipe (I’ve not tried it) for coconut popovers for that pan.

2 Likes

I think baking temperature for popovers is 450f and highest recommended temp for silicone is 425f. Most recipes I’ve seen dont go hire than 375f. But thanks for the suggestion.

I was surprised to see ads for “professional” popover pans that are silicone. And while oven may start at that very high setting, the recipes I used immediately turned temp down. Hope you find delicious recipe options for the fun pan.

A batch of Stella Parks’ awesome angel biscuits. Hadn’t made these in a while and they’re even better than I remembered. I had made angel biscuits before Stella’s and just didn’t see the point with them, but hers are fantastic.
And I made a batch of her milk chocolate scones.

14 Likes

Not familiar with this - what makes them angelic?

1 Like

Angel biscuits are yeast-raised biscuits. All versions I had before always ended up like a roll and just nothing worth making. Stella’s really are a perfect blend of biscuit and fluffy bread.

Also you basically mix them like a biscuit— you rub the butter in, add liquid. No kneading. Difference is you let the dough rise, then cut and proof overnight in the fridge. In the morning you just put the pan in the oven.

3 Likes

I was interested to see you made them square, which is what I used to do back when I made biscuits. No scraps and rerolling. What did you bake them in?

I’ve done them in the cast iron as she calls for, but this time I used my adjustable square mousse mold to accommodate 2x4 rows since I cut this to 3/4 recipe and decided on 8 biscuits rather than 10 in case people wanted to make breakfast sandwiches with them.
I was planning on using my 9-inch square pan if I had done the full recipe.

2 Likes

Bookmarked!

4 Likes

Would these work for strawberry shortcake? Or are they more bready?

Strawberry cake from ‘Sally’s baking addiction’ . I wanted to try this one bc of the 1 pound ! Of strawberries reduced to 1/2 cup! Took a while stirring.
Cake def took time to put together. It has a really good strawberry flavor. Moist and not light but still delicious. Love the frosting with the powdered freeze dried strawberries. Not sure if I’d make the cake again but

will use the frosting again.
Had a bit of trouble powdering the FD strawberries - some stuck to the sides of the vitamix, maybe I went too high on the powdering.
Also I used just a dash of coloring in the cake. Wish I’d used more.

18 Likes

I’ve tried several for one of my daughters but she wasn’t super happy with them. I broke down and bought KA’s GF pizza flour and she loved it; said it was much better than GF crusts she’d had in any pizzeria. Ingredients in order of appearance are certified GF free wheat starch, corn starch, sorghum flour, cellulose/psyllium fiber, inactive yeast (I guess for more yeasty flavor, you are instructed to add 2 tsp additional active yeast) and xanthan gum.

Thanks for the tip on Cermelj’s book; I’m going to order it for her.

I haven’t tried that particular GF flour but did try the Caputo, which also has wheat starch. Both times I felt sick afterwards - so I’m going to stay away from the flours with added wheat starch. (Of course, it could have all been in my head. The mind-gut connection is no joke.)

The Loopy Whisk blog has been a fantastic resource. I borrowed the book from the library before buying it and I think it will be a great resource. I think her bread-baking instructions are a bit overly complicated so I may experiment with simplifying the ones I like. I’ve also got Cannelle and Vanille Bakes Simple, and I love the breads I’ve made from that, but the sweets are mostly not ones my family would eat ( and I don’t need an entire batch of cookies for myself).

I’m reading their (Loopy) recipe for GF baguettes right now and it seems a great resource for GF and vegetarian foods (this daughter is both), so I emailed it to her.

Yeah maybe on the mind/body connection, but some folks do seem to be pretty sensitive to even low doses of gluten. She’ll get a lot of stomach pain and her ankylosing spondylitis gets much worse after an accidental dosing (like someone told her a dish was prepared with tamari but after she got sick she pressed the point and it turns out regular soy sauce was used). So she also doesn’t take chances and won’t, for example, eat regular old fashioned oats because if they’re not willing to certify GF, there’s a chance they were milled/processed in a plant that might have cross-contamination.

The KA pizza flour claims they meet FDA standards for claiming GF and at least for her, no symptoms!

1 Like

I think their yeasty flavor wouldn’t be ideal and they’re a lot more pillowy than a biscuit, but then it might still be tasty. I mean, bread, cream, and berries is a pretty common combination.

1 Like

Have you made Stella’s strawberry cake? It’s really good, though I thought it would work better as a single or at most two layer, but that’s generally my feeling on really tall cakes with thick layers.

Willies Crisp using 3 C. rhubarb and 2 C. commercial frozen blueberries.

I used 3/4 C. sugar stirred into the fruit and 3/4 C in the flour/sugar/egg crisp topping mixture.

Our rhubarb patch is giving meager harvests, despite my husband’s daily watering during this drought. Today’s yield was only 3 C so had to add something else. No photo – the juice from the cooking blueberries colored through the crisp topping and made it look burned, even though it tastes perfect.

4 Likes

Willie’s Crisp is terrific!

1 Like