What Are You Baking? June 2023

How large is each well of the mold? Maybe miniature cheesecakes? Or if it’s closer to cupcake-sized, that’s perfect for egg muffins / egg cups / omelet muffins, which also require spraying/greasing the silicon mold and absolutely should not be attempted in a standard metal pan unless you enjoy scrubbing stubborn baked-on egg afterwards…
http://www.babyfoode.com/blog/toddler-breakfast-egg-cups-4-tasty-ways
https://kirbiecravings.com/omelet-muffins/

I have some silicone baking cups that I use for mini frittatas. They work well for eggs, although stain (I don’t care).

I find I use them for making ice cubes as much as anything - nice big chunks of ice, which are easy to pop out of the mold.

1 Like

What sort of mold is it?

There are 12 indentations each one is 11/2 wide x 2"deep. Im going to test it if i have any batter left over from something i feel is suitable

Its this one

1 Like

Thanks so much Steph. Be nice if it came with a few recipes.

Strawberry rhubarb icebox pie. I’d never made one before, but I will be making them again and again, just varying the fruit. How delicious! Crust of crushed almonds, grahams, sugar and butter. Fruit was just some cooked with sugar, lemon and cornstarch, then mixed with some chopped raw. Fill the baked shell and let it sit in the fridge for a few hours. So much better than the little effort involved.

15 Likes

I was interested in this recipe too. It’s been a few months, but I think I read you could use mini muffin pans if you had them in lieu of purchasing the “cork” molds.

2 Likes

Had to take the dog to the veterinarian. Every time they charge me $100, I steal a few sprigs from their very robust rosemary bushes. I decided to make garlic-rosemary bread (garlic, rosemary, basil, thyme all fresh, dried oregano, parsley and just a bit of marjoram).

Along the way, I invented my latest invention, for which the patent application will be titled

• Apparatus and Method for Forced Verticality of Leavened Products[1].

I plan to market it as The Rise-O-Matic™

([1] Just kiddin’, this ain’t patentable)

More seriously, to get more height out of a loaf I often bind the rising loaf around the bottom with an elliptical strip of aluminum foil, but it’s kind of a pain. So I tried this instead and it worked pretty well.

The bread turned out really nice with a close crumb. Trying to score it while hitting bits of rosemary was kind of a pain, though.

21 Likes

I want to smell the bread in real life (not just in my imagination). Sounds great, as does your invention.

2 Likes

Ok that’s a brilliant way to get a freeform loaf to keep shape.

2 Likes

Oooh yum! Is the recipe available online?

I baked the Swedish pear and almond cream cake from Rose’s Heavenly Cakes. I had a feeling that using my heritage bundt wasn’t the best choice for this cake, but I only have two bundt pans and the other is a 12-cup and I knew this cake wasn’t going to produce that much batter based on the amounts. Most bundt cakes will typically have more flour than this. So I prepped my pan with plenty of softened butter and some flour as I do and don’t tend to have any problem with. This cake involves a tender, rich sour cream cake base, followed by almond cream and then sliced pears, which when baked end up inverted. So yeah, those nice wet pears stuck quite nicely to the bottom of the pan. It’s not pretty. :joy: Delicious, though! I think the pear could be sliced a bit thicker because it got pretty mushy.

9 Likes

Next time will you use less ripe pears? Probably Bosc is best choice here.

I don’t have pear choices. The only reason I made this is because my mom happened to buy some presumably because they made a very rare appearance here, and since I have the almond paste I made and froze, I took the opportunity even though Beranbaum calls for Bartlett and this was D’Anjou. I’d like this better with something like raspberries or if I were to use a local fruit— mangoes— because as much as I don’t really care for them raw, I actually think they’re pretty nice baked, as they get a pleasantly chewy texture that I really like. Would also be good with rhubarb for those who have it, and pretty much any stone fruit.

1 Like

your raw mango rejection startles me!! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I ripped it out of a Bon Appetite circa 1999-2002. As part of my mission to review them all and then donate them. But I can paraphrase. Crust is 1 cup toasted almonds, ground plus 1/2 cup ground grahams, 1/4 cup sugar, 6 tbsp butter. Mix, press in, bake 350 for 12. Then fill and chill. Filling is approx 1/2 raw fruit and 1/2 cooked for a few minutes w/1 cup sugar, some lemon, 1/4 cup cornstarch. 6ish cups fruit altogether. Mix the cooked and raw, heap into baked shell. Refridge for 2-6 hrs.

5 Likes

Thank you! I did a Google and found this, but I like your modifications to the filling (and more fruit is usually better, imho).

1 Like

That is in fact the same recipe and photo as in the magazine! I guess I just used 6 cups of fruit rather than 5. It worked out fine. I did strawberry and rhubarb (cooked the latter) because I didn’t have enough strawberries. But it was delish! I personally will reduce the sugar a smidge next time in the crust. Maybe in the filling. It was a bit on the too sweet side for me.

2 Likes

I subscribed from around 1992 to 2008, and Betty Rosbottom was one of the very regular recipe contributors.