What are you baking? June 2022

To use up the last of my mango and passion fruit jam, I made some crumble cookies.

13 Likes

those look a little like Dorie Greenspan’s Jammers - is that the idea?

2 Likes

It’s the same idea though a bit different on the recipes themselves.

My recent baking experiments:

Blueberry almond muffins

from this recipe: https://www.crumbtopbaking.com/blueberry-vanilla-almond-overnight-oatmeal-muffins/

and almond tigres

from here: https://tarasmulticulturaltable.com/tigre-almond-cakes/

The tigres came out well though you cannot see the chocolate streaking in the picture.
The muffins were a little crumbly. I had replaced half the WW flour with almond flour. I thought they were just a tad under sweet.

8 Likes

I’d love that jam recipe!

I’ve been baking Dorie Greenspan’s yogurt cake with a ton of fruit on top à la Smitten Kitchen’s strawberry summer cake, on repeat. Here are two with strawberries and cherries, and a lousy oven shot of one with peaches and blackberries.

Here’s a galette with mango and nectarine and strawberries

And here’s a closeup of a banana-walnut upside-down banana cake with chocolate chips. I experimented with standing walnuts upright against the side of the cast-iron pan before putting in the batter, and they enabled the caramel to bubble all the way up the sides of the cake, as I had hoped.

All of these were made with all whole wheat pastry flour from Giusto’s Vita-Grain, which is ground so fine that I can substitute 100% for white flour without it being heavy or stodgy.

13 Likes

Is this the yogurt cake?

1 Like

Made pumpkin brioche dough last night and was planning on half pain aux raisins and half cinnamon rolls, but didn’t get to the pastry cream last night, so all cinnamon rolls it is. I cut the ends off, shaped them into rounds and topped with pearl sugar and baked separately since I didn’t want them to go to waste.

11 Likes

Father’s day blueberry cherry pie recipe from Baking with Dorie. Write up on Baking with Dorie thread.

11 Likes

Mile high pie….looks great!

1 Like

Thanks, that’s the work I was looking forr

1 Like

Your pie looks beyond fabulous! I have the book and will make it soon. I love the filling to crust ratio. Just curious, what kind of ice cream?

1 Like

Thanks for this, we have a friend who gives us jam & we can’t keep up with his production! This looks like the perfect solution!

Yes! I make it in an 8" or 9" round.

Thank you. My ice cream was creme brulee. I also would suggest that you sift the flour that you will be adding to your jam.

1 Like

Yesterday’s tart du jour… probably the last of the local strawberries, I added a small handful of local raspberries as well. Picked up some early peaches at the FM, so stone fruit will be coming in for pies.

10 Likes

Strawberry sheet cake from Snackable bakes. I was skeptical of a vanilla cake with an oil base but it was wonderful.

12 Likes

Smitten’s rhubarb snacking cake - second bake for this cake. My home-grown rhubarb is coming in strong.

This cake is emerging as one of my favorites of the summer. The photo is just a big slice - it makes a 13x9 cake.

rhubarb snacking cake june 22

12 Likes

Here’s the buttermilk cake with blueberries. These are last years berries from the freezer - I still have a quart or so of those to use up before the new harvest starts in a few weeks.

I used a generous 250 grams of berries (recipe calls for about 140) and tossed them in 1 T. of the flour mixture before sprinkling them over the cake. The berries were quite cold, and the cake took a few extra minutes to bake.

This was delicious. I liked the strawberry version quite a bit, but loved this - either because of the amount of fruit, or because blueberries are my favorite in general, or both.

14 Likes

Sourdough Dutch crunch buns

11 Likes