What are you baking? July 2023

Classic sour cream coffee cake. Ran a little short of sour cream so added a couple of tablespoons of ricotta - hopefully won’t negatively affect the finished product. I made it to take with us to a friend’s lake house up north - we won’t partake until Saturday morning, but luckily this thing keeps like a champ. And once it’s cut, it never lasts long!

18 Likes

Strawberry sheet cake from Jessie Sheehan’s Snackable Bakes. Love this book, love this cake.

16 Likes

Coconut cake from Jesse Sheehan stackable bakes. Delicious and kept well on the counter for 5 days.

16 Likes

Nice to see you here @sallyt!

Qs: Do you think this would work with (frozen) cherries?

1 Like

@Saregama - I think so! You just scatter them on top of the cake. It’s pretty incredible

2 Likes

Trying to work through the raspberries I picked last weekend, hence the raspberry buttermilk cake!

12 Likes

Utterly surprised to stumble upon these sour cherries at farmers’ market today, at the separate market I only visit during peach season, which just started here. They are a new-to-me variety called Baleton, with red flesh all the way through. You never saw me buy fruit so fast! Both because I thought the season was over (which it is for the more common Montmorency) and because I haven’t had this variety before.

8 Likes

Price??

Thanks @sallyt - I found this recipe linked from her site.

3 Likes

@Saregama - that’s the cake! Let me know if you want me to add any weights

Made one of my all-time favorite sour cherry recipes— Carole Walter’s sour cherry kuchen. This is made with a base of yeast-raised sweet dough which is great for summer fruit and obviously much easier to work with than a pastry crust. Then vanilla pastry cream, sour cherry filling, and a lot of streusel.

I’ve actually never made it with jarred cherries as called for. Instead I’ve used fresh (in NYC) or frozen (here). I just get 340-350 g sour cherries and if they’re frozen like here, I take two 1-lb packages and drain them to get that amount. Then I take the strained liquid and take 6 oz and add 6 oz sugar to make a simple syrup and that gives me the 24 oz the recipe calls for. I then proceed as directed. With fresh cherries I use water to make the syrup. To simplify, it could be done with 75 g liquid and 75 g sugar, since you need 2/3 cup of of liquid to make the filling, which is around 150 g.
This is still as delicious as I remembered and the sour cherries are sold here for much cheaper than other frozen fruit like blueberries and raspberries, so that’s a nice bonus.

14 Likes

You just helped me figure out what to do with two bags of frozen sour cherries I have!

2 Likes

Thanks @Saregama and @sallyt. I started to look for the recipe and got sidetracked by a strawberry hazelnut muffin recipe that reminded me I should look in Fika cookbook for that hazelnut cookies recipe I’ve had on the list for some time now… and while there found the almond & fruit snack cake that might be good with the blueberries I got yesterday… :grinning:— perhaps you’ve experienced similar recipe whirls?

5 Likes

Recipe Drift?

2 Likes

I’ve always kind of winged it with the sugar since different cherry brands have different amounts , but I think next time I might do 2:1 juice to sugar so that it’s 100 g juice and 50 g sugar since she does call for cherries in light syrup. Combined with the 50 grams of sugar in the filling it ends up being 1/2 cup, which seems right. The cherries are very tart so nicely balanced by the streusel and pastry cream, but I wondered if I wouldn’t find it even better with a bit less sugar. This would be under 30% sugar for the filling, and 25%-30% is about where I’d go with tart fruit like this in a pie.

2 Likes

I’ve eyed that recipe many times but have never pulled the trigger. Now I’m gonna!

2 Likes

I just sent the link to my husband and requested this for my birthday dessert! Thanks!

4 Likes

All the time. When I looked up this, I found the Smitten recipe as well, then 3 others, and ended up looking at clafoutis recipes to see if they could be made eggless for my mom. So, yes :smiley:

2 Likes

Mini Mary Ann cake topped with tangerine curd/sour cream and a berry coulis below. Local blueberries have been delicious.

15 Likes

Michelin star worthy.

2 Likes