What are you baking? July 2023

Fig, hazelnut torte, flaked almonds. Very similar to a Bakewell tart filling, this has almost equal quantities of hazelnut flour and self rising flour. The hazelnut flavor is particularly pleasing with the figs. Raspberry coulis was a nice combination with the fig.

11 Likes

Thanks, @Nannybakes , but it wasnt me who asked gor the recipe. Im nowhere near the baker you and others on this thread are!

Darn! Well maybe you’ll get to try the recipe anyway😁!
Ah! I thought since you had”liked” mig’s comment regarding the recipe, I assumed you also were interested in it. Your response was probably relating to her apricot purchase.

1 Like

Sarah Kieffer’s coffee blondies with toasted pecans and chocolate chips. I made a two-thirds recipe in a 9” square pan, using the remains of an egg I had beaten to use for an egg wash and browning the butter. I kept the proportions aligned, except for the brown sugar, which I reduced by 25% (the right move; they were plenty sweet). I used half each semisweet and 72% bittersweet chips, using up stuff in my pantry. I wish I’d pulled them a minute sooner, but they still had a good chewy texture and butterscotch flavor. I used cold brew concentrate for the coffee, and there was just a hint of coffee flavor, so next time I’ll also add some instant espresso powder. I’d also bake the same amount of batter in an 8” pan for a thicker result.

14 Likes

Yum! You’re getting to be my favorite baker! :heart:
Your last several contributions have been absolutely stunning!

1 Like

Thank you Barney, I’m honored. My baking is very spontaneous depending on what’s “in house”. I make it up as I go along !

1 Like

I think I am going to build a ‘summer kitchen’ attached to the house. Maybe not attached, we have bruins. The summers are getting hotter for longer and I need to bake in a real oven, not just using the bbq grill or the Girl Scout box oven. It would the make canning projects easier, too. Does anyone have a ‘summer kitchen’?

2 Likes

If you do this, I wanna hear all about it.

2 Likes

Waiting with bated breath for your report.

Homegrown blueberries are the bestest.

Sugar level (not too much) was perfect for my taste, but a tad too much thickener. I like a slightly looser pie with blueberries. Going to try again after this one is gone, and while the berries still are in season.

13 Likes

I’ve never had a blueberry pie that held its shape when sliced so this is impressive.

2 Likes

I’ve noticed that when making blueberry pies in the past. I don’t care for the fully set filling either. Next time I might go bottomless or just not have thickener at all. Maybe the blueberries have some natural pectin?

1 Like

Stella Parks wrote about this:

“Truth be told, it doesn’t matter whether you’ve got blueberries, cherries, or plums, because water is the only factor we need to account for when it comes to thickening a pie. But wait, you cry. What about pectin? Doesn’t that, like, have something to do with pie?

Ehhh, not really. For the uninitiated, pectin is a soluble fiber found in many fruits, and when cooked it can help liquids to gel. It’s only natural to imagine this natural thickener must play an important role in fruit pies, but pectin is a little fussy, willing to perform only under specific conditions. Aside from concentration, which varies from fruit to fruit, pectin requires just the right amount of sugar, acidity, and heat before it can really kick into gear.

According to my pal Cathy Barrow, author of Mrs. Wheelbarrow’s Practical Pantry, pectin doesn’t really do its thing until about 220°F (104°C). That’s well above the internal temperature of any pie, significantly hampering pectin’s power to gel. What’s more, compared with jams and jellies, pie filling contains way less sugar and acid—two more factors that minimize pectin’s role as a thickener.

So while it’s true that blueberries contain a decent amount of pectin, it’s of little use within the context of a low-sugar, low-acid, low-heat pie. Put simply, when it comes to blueberry pie, pectin is completely irrelevant. That means blueberry pie is dead easy to thicken, because there aren’t any wild cards to consider.”

She seems to make an exception for apple pie, though.

4 Likes

Thank you! The flavor was spot-on, but I do want to work on the texture.

This is a 7" pie. I used:

500 g. blueberries
50 g. sugar
2 T. cornstarch
1 T. AP flour
1/8 t. cinnamon
Pinch granulated salt
1/2 T. unsalted butter
1 t. Cointreau
1/2 t. lemon juice

Next time I’m going to reduce the corn starch from 2 T. to 1 1/2 T. I would like it just a hair looser - gently and very slowly oozing (but not running) out of the slice. Best of all, if it is barely leaking out, and just hovering over (but not on) the plate. LOL! Perfection pursued!

Just my preference, of coarse. :grin:

3 Likes

Great info! I had no idea. Now I’ll check into quince…

1 Like

Yes, I think I’d reduce that cornstarch ingredient.

Have you tried ground up tapioca instead of cornstarch?

Sweet Party Biscuit mini-muffins have been on my “make-again” list for years. Super simple, with only 3 ingredients - 1 C self-rising flour, 1 C cream, 3 T sugar - but I never seem to have the cream in-house at the same time I have baking ambition. I used my countertop oven to bake these at 400 F for 10 minutes. From the 4 Ingredient Cookbook.

10 Likes

This reminded me, I have the recipe printed and folded up in Marion Cunningham’s Breakfast Book, but never tried it. What fruit do you like to use with it?

Your pie crust looks amazing!

1 Like