What are you baking? July 2022

that looks lovely, thank you!

Right? and so easy!

I love this cake - I made it when it first came out in Gourmet (RIP) and it has been a lake house favorite ever since. Amazing with peaches, too.

1 Like

Those apricot-pistachio squares are incredible … everyone loves them. Too bad apricots have such a short season. Here are my photos:

7 Likes

I just took mine out of the oven! (midnight, oy)

I could eat the raw pistachio frangipane til the cows come home. I’m hard-pressed to think of something more delicious.

1 Like

Do you use the lavender?

I think @biondanonima was referring to the raspberry buttermilk cake. Assuming you were wondering about the apricot cake, I have used it (dried) because I like it I in baked goods, but it’s not a big presence.

As you know Costco pizza is always favourite of every body but we personally try that at home, here is the ingredients which is used to make. [Costco pizza]

Ingredients:

• 9 cups of flour
  • 3 cups of warm water
  • 3 tablespoons of active dry yeast
  • 3 tablespoons of sugar
  • 3 tablespoons of olive oil
  • 6 tablespoons of salt
  • 15 Roma tomatoes
  • 6 leaves of fresh basil
  • 2 green peppers
  • 1 red onion
  • Sausage meat (as much as you want)
  • Olives (as much as you want)
  • 3 tablespoons of garlic salt

These are on my list to make EVERY summer, and it never happens. I think I am afraid I am going to like them too much and not be able to stop eating them :slight_smile: Your photo has inspired me and I am vowing to make it happen this summer!

1 Like

@mig yes, Caitlin is correct, I was referring to the raspberry buttermilk cake. The apricot walnut one looks fabulous but if I were to make it, I would definitely not use lavender- I don’t care for it in sweets. I might sub cardamom or fennel pollen, though!

Not so much baked recipes, ‘Apricot Delight’ ( a trifle recipe of sliced ripe apricots, graham cracker crumbs and a whipped cream and mascarpone mix) or Turkish Delight (an apricot and walnut ‘candy’ like the ‘Cotlet’ in Applets and Cotlets). When I have a mess of apricots to use up I make ‘Liquid Gold’, a thick apricot jam. In the past I have made it with apricios and loquats. When it had been too hot to can, I’ve frozen the unpitted fruits until needed.

2 Likes

Chocolate zucchini loaf cake from Midwest Made. I did not add the chocolate chips, as I knew it would be plenty chocolatey for us with the cocoa. This is moist and tasty and not heavy or dense.

6 Likes

Hurry while apricots are in season!

You need to make and serve to a crowd so you won’t eat the whole thing.

Post a photo when you make it! Try making Willie’s

Crisp now with great summer fruit.

Nectarines, blackberries, blueberries

3 Likes

We loooove Willie’s crisp and make it multiple times a summer when we entertain! I am out of town the next two weeks, but am hoping they are still in season when I get back. Fingers crossed!

Garlic and Parmesan rolls from Midwest Made. Supple dough made with bread flour, buttermilk and the usual suspects. I did notice a error in the recipe: the same amount of butter is described as 84 grams in the dough and 57 grams in the filling. I used a scale anyway, so didn’t affect the recipe. I left the dough in the fridge for about 4 hours. It was very easy to work with when it came out, but softened and got sticky pretty quickly. Filling is butter, garlic cooked in oil, oregano, Parmesan and egg yolk, S&P. Top is brushed with egg white and sprinkled with Parmesan. This had a nice stretchy crumb when baked, and crisp top, bottom and edges, but the overall impression was soft bread. Good, but won’t make again.

9 Likes

We accidentally bought a can of dulce de leche rather than condensed milk at some point, so I decided to put it to use. These are Alice Medrich’s caramel cheesecake bars made with dulce de leche. I used my 11x11 pan rather than a 9x13.
I only had 1 lb cream cheese and made up the other 1/2 lb with some mascarpone that needed using and some kefir cream. Due to that substitution I decided to add two more tbsp sugar to the batter, because as written it’s pretty tangy (which I love), and kefir cream is tangier than cream cheese. I used the food processor rather than a mixer as I usually do whenever I make cheesecake batter.

I warmed the dulce de leche to get it pourable, but it was still pretty thick, so I used a little more than called for of the cheesecake batter to mix into it. Still it seemed to me it was a bit too thick and would sink when it was time to marble the two batters, and indeed it did, though not completely, so I got a few sad swirls. I should have thinned out the dulce de leche with some milk, but I didn’t want to fiddle with it too much because then the sweetness would be affected.

I’ll be slicing these tomorrow.

9 Likes

The Liquid Gold and Turkish Delight sound interesting. Do you have recipes for those?

I of course prefer the original caramel version since I like caramel a lot more than I like dulce de leche.

8 Likes

Last of the July birthday cakes = white velvet with whipped cream and strawberries.

14 Likes

I like caramel in all forms, but the winner is cajeta.