1/2 t. kosher salt
1/2 t. ground cinnamon
1 3/4 c. dried fruit and nuts
1/4 c. crystalized ginger
2 egg
120 g. cold plain nonfat yogurt
120 g. cold plain nonfat buttermilk
50 g. canola oil

Whisk together dry. Toss add-ins in the dry ingredients. Whisk together wet. Add wet to dry, fold until just combined. Drop onto a parchment lined baking sheet using a 1/2-c. dry measure. Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes. Glaze after baking, if desired.

*My changes include making a 1/2 batch, using a mix of white whole wheat and AP flours. Omit the ginger. Go heavy on the fruit and nut. Use a 1/4-c. scoop and sprinkle resulting dough balls with sugar. Bake on a silpat and parchment lined baking sheet at 350 about 28-30 minutes. Makes 8 small “scones”.

3 Likes

I have a friend who has recently cut dairy products out of her diet. Whenever we visit one another I bake something for her so I made this orange/almond cake.

It was delicious. The orange flavor really shines and the cake is nice and moist.

Due to my friend’s dietary restriction, I used baking spray for the first time. Previously I’ve always greased pans with butter. The brand of baking spray I bought is Bakers Joy. I thought it was yucky. It reminded me of snot, but the cake released so all’s well that ends well.

5 Likes

I have made these, when I had a big assortment of dried fruit to use up. I did use the fresh cranberries in the original recipe, but I didn’t think they were integral. I also used the ginger (and more than called for, but I love ginger), and I believe I used a 1/3-cup measure to form them. They also bake well from frozen.

2 Likes

Hot dog buns with yudane which unfortunately weren’t ready until long after long lunch because of power company nonsense right as I finished shaping.:expressionless:

7 Likes

I had a lot of local berries I picked myself threatening to go to waste in the fridge, so I made a big berry galette with strawbs, raspberries, and black raspberries.

It looks pretty amateur, I admit. The kitchen was getting warm when I was filling the tart and the dough started to stick to the parchment, and was hard to fold and crimp. Then I had a lot of juice seep out of the crust, but somehow it still was crisp and delicious when we ate it a few hours later at room temp.

To go with, the first batch of the season of my favorite homemade ice cream, the fabulous brambleberry crisp.

galette ice cream
galette july 2022

17 Likes

I baked after ages - returned to an old favorite, Orange Olive Oil Cake.

This cake is a paradox. The crust is fabulous the first day. But the rest of the cake is much better 2 days later.

Possible solution: peel off crust and it all the first day. However not great for the visual, or for sharing :joy:

13 Likes

I had planned to make Bravetart’s Devil’s Food Cake with Whipped Milk Chocolate Ganache Frosting but, bizarrely, my Instacart delivery got moved from 7 pm until 10 am tomorrow while the shopper was in the middle of doing the shop. The cakes are already made but I don’t have the milk chocolate bars for the ganache sooooo I will have to make that tomorrow evening and then whip/frost Thursday morning.

7 Likes

Rhubarb from the garden, raspberries from the Farmers Market…a favorite pie for us. I have a slight bias towards the rhubarb raspberry combination for a pie or tart, not that I’d turn down a rhubarb strawberry combination.
This is a six inch pie and I packed the fruit in tightly. After cooling, more than several hours, I was able to make a clean cut.

18 Likes

Gorgeous! For a 6” pie, did you use half a pie crust recipe? How much filling? And how long did you bake for? Thanks!

1 Like

Crust : 100g pastry flour, salt, about a rounded teaspoon sugar, 50/56g butter frozen, 2 ish tablespoons sour cream…processor…until it looks like cottage cheese.
Pressed together, rolled into a rectangle, 2 envelope folds. Divided with one “ half” slightly larger for bottom crust. ( egg washed top crust just in center)
Filling: 2 thin stalks rhubarb, finely diced, 350g raspberries….about 20% sugar and 5% tapioca flour to weight of fruit. Mixed and rested until oven heated to 400* , convection bake for 10 minutes, reduced to 375* for about 20 minutes…about 5 minutes more at bake, lower heat only.
Baked on a stone, bottom crust should be golden brown, my pie runneth over a bit.
I think that’s it😀
ETA…baked mid morning, sliced mid afternoon

8 Likes

Stunning! A work of art…

2 Likes

Thank you, Gretchen…better yet, it tasted good! By the way, I used a lattice cutter for the top crust…it’s a bit of a pita. Dough needs to be cold when cut, then needs to warm up a bit before spreading open and placed on top of fruit.

4 Likes

I love OOO cake too. What recipe do you use? I have never contemplated crust vs inside issues in my cake, so am curious whether your recipe is different from the one I use (that I like because you throw an entire orange, peel and all, into the blender, and proceed from there).
Do you add anything else like rosemary in there?

As some folks here may remember, I went down an Orange olive oil cake rabbit hole a few years ago :joy:

I settled on this one for my taste (and that of the friends and their kids who ate all those experiments) with a few tweaks:

• 1 c sugar
  • 1/2 c oil (half olive half neutral)
  • 1/8 tsp baking soda
  • bake on a sheet pan (recipe as written overflows)
  • bake at 300-325F for longer (recipe as written sinks as it cools)

As with all oil cakes, this gets better day 2 onwards; orange flavor deepens, and it gets moister.

ETA: Looks like she changed the recipe this year - she’s added an egg (3 vs 2) and 2T of liqueur, lowered the temp to 350 from 375, and changed the baking time to a range of 45-60 (at 325 it takes me about 55-65 mins).

5 Likes

My baby’s 7th birthday cake! She wanted a cat cake as she loves cats of all kinds and she wanted it to be pink like one of her stuffies.

Add imag

es here

I used the Texas Sheet cake for the cake base, then crumb coated with Strawberry Buttercream, then used Strawberry whipped cream (all Serious Eats/Stella Parks) for the decoration, along with sprinkles and store icing for the eyes, claws, mouth etc. A little sloppy as the kitchen was warm so I had to stop every 5 minutes to rechill and the wine was kicking in towards the end.

And I had to use a cutting board as it was the only “pan” big enough for the cake yet fit in the beer fridge for chilling

14 Likes

@Nannybakes thank you again for always sharing so freely and generously. Bookmarking this for the pie crust!

4 Likes

I made these Spiced Blueberry Rolls last night to have for today’s breakfast. I’ve made them countless times and they are always a hit with everyone who tries them. My husband ate four for breakfast.

I make them into twelve rolls instead of the eight called for in the recipe. I’ve tried both ways and I find the texture better when I make twelve.

I tend to prefer baked goods with fruit when the fruit isn’t cooked prior to being baked so this recipe is right up my alley. The blueberries turn jammy in the oven, the rolls are nice and soft and the whole wheat flour adds a nice flavor.

6 Likes

These are interesting - thanks for the link.

How are you storing them overnight - covered or uncovered?

I am a night owl. They came out of the oven at 2:00 AM. I left them in the baking pan, uncovered and on a cooking rack until morning.

I will put the ones we don’t eat today in a covered container and leave them out on the counter to eat tomorrow.

1 Like

Well, I ate 1 ugly, gave a pretty one to my daughter, gave 2 packages of 6 to my friend who owns the little market. He ended up only giving one to his son, one to his brother: he ate all the rest! Doncha love a good eater? He works hard, on his feet 6 days a week so doesn’t get fat eating 10 scones!

3 Likes