What are you baking? January 2024

I have a lot of cream left over from caramel making over Christmas. Made a salted caramel pound cake: I had WAY too much of the glaze last night for “quality control” and was unable to eat dinner. https://www.lottieanddoof.com/2015/03/salted-caramel-pound-cake/. I also apparently did exactly the same thing last year, so was able to use that picture, rather than this year’s… which is even worse than usual. Taken in to work to feed the team… went over well.

18 Likes

@rstuart - love that cake! Love his blog too.

2 Likes

Cowboy Cookies, modified from the Quaker Oats Chewy Choc-oat Chips Bars recipe. I included partial whole wheat flour, oats, sweetened coconut flakes, raisins, pecans, and milk chocolate chips, reducing the sugar a bit to offset some of the add-ins. I think my preferred version would include dark chocolate and sour cherries, however DH likes his on the sweet side, and this variant ticks that box.

13 Likes

Black currant streusel blondies. I actually wish the streusel weren’t here as I find it takes away from the blondie, which are enjoyable in large part for their chewy texture and the crunchy streusel sort of obscures that.

13 Likes

My girlfriend must have been felt better at some point, as it appears she did some “middle of the night” snacking. I had made a simple chocolate cake and frosted it after dinner. At that time, Sunshine wasn’t feeling all that great, and didn’t want any dessert. So, I just put it in the fridge for later consumption. Glad to see she got hungry and had a piece.

11 Likes

Sarah Kieffer’s Cinnamon Scones from 100 Morning Treats.

Deets on the BCOTM thread here.

15 Likes

Long time since I’ve made the pepperoni garlic knots from Serious Eats, and having leftover sauce from making Chicago style pizza, I thought it was a good time.

These are still very good, but having a more critical eye now I actually think they could do with less oil (and I don’t use as much as Kenji who employs it at various stages) and to really taste like the garlic knots I love, I feel salted butter is a must along with garlic powder, which I sprinkled at the end. These should also really be rolled in the mixture BEFORE knotting to really get them to be very flavorful.

17 Likes

(post deleted by author)

8 Likes

Probably my best batch of flaky biscuits yet.

Modified from Erin Jeanne McDowell’s Flaky Buttermilk Biscuit recipe, I gave the dough several folds before the first chill, followed by more folds before wrapping and holding in the fridge for several hours. With that second set of folds, I worked in a bit of grated sharp cheddar cheese (Cougar Gold). At dinner time it was roll, cut and bake.

I’ve read a few references lately from southern biscuit bakers about baking the biscuits upside-down once cut, so I tried it today. It’s supposed to encourage better rise. In any case, I don’t think it hurt them.

19 Likes

Somehow deleted this with my butterfingers. Tuna buns and pull apart buns.

16 Likes

I want to take two kinds of cookies with me on a work trip this week. I’ll be carrying them onto my flight.

I have a bunch of chocolate I bought for Xmas baking but didn’t use: semisweet, 60%, and white.

I don’t really want to make the greatest choc cookie I know, world peace, bec they aren’t very attractive… but maybe I’ll change my mind.

I also have dried cranberries, dried cherries, all kinds of citrus, all the extracts, pistachios and pecans.

About powdered sugar in cookies: I really like crinkle cookies and meltaways, but they can be a little messy, which might be a deterrent.

What would you suggest?

1 Like

What about Sables? Either vanilla with some chocolate and nuts etc in the dough, or a chocolate dough?
I am looking to use up some chocolate in a bake to take to work, but probably in cake as I prefer making it to cookies (I am lazy and like the one and done aspect of cake).

1 Like

World peace IS a sable.

Maybe I could make ones that are prettier than world peace …

I don’t realize that. Sorry.

I think dried cherry and pistachio icebox cookies are quite pretty.

From the eater rather than baker perspective, I don’t really like eating sables or shortbread-type cookies as much as I like eating a crispy chewy snickerdoodle or tollhouse cookie, or a crispy Norwegian Lace cookie.

I’ve been gifted cookies several times by a few home bakers on this site and on Chowhound. While I appreciate all the cookies, the cookies I’ve liked the most have been the Blondies and the lemon cookies.

2 Likes

No worries. I’m poking around at other sable recipes now.

What about those ricotta lacey cookies?

2 Likes

Voting for the Baking Cookbook ends shortly:

1 Like

What about rolled out or piped sables with a ganache or caramel ganache filling?

Unlike @Phoenikia, I much prefer a cookie like sablés to soft and chewy ones which are by design much sweeter. I also find most people make soft and chewy cookies in the USA for this type of thing, so it gets a bit dull for me as someone who loves sandy and crisp cookies.

I made a savory zucchini roll.
Unlike most savory rolls, this isn’t a soufflé or leavened with baking powder, though I might like adding a bit for a puffier roll.
This is really easy to roll, looks pretty, and tastes pretty good, though mine would taste better if my cream cheese filling hadn’t needed to be supplemented with Dominican queso crema, which is quite bland and even with generous seasoning just isn’t quite as nice as cream cheese with its tang. Something like Boursin would probably be very, good, too.
I do wish I had something like smoked salmon to add to the filling! Or maybe a tuna filling would be tasty.

12 Likes