what are you Baking? February 2024

HA! Now I can’t unsee it! ( won’t stop me from eating it though… what does that say about me??)

5 Likes

Call them puppy kisses as you enjoy the cookies. :grin:

6 Likes

i saw this recipe for Soft Pretzels on alexandracooks,com, decided maybe easy enough for me to try:

It took some time, first you roll to 12" inches then reroll to 22-24". Since I had a knee replacement a few years ago, it’s hard for me to stand too long so I had to keep taking breaks … didn’t seem to do any harm. During process, I questioned whether it was going to be worth all the effort … YES.

I measured 5 cups of flour into a bowl then weighed, needed more to come to 640 g so I’ll use weight from now on. Said to bake 10-12 minutes; mine were done at 10. You brush 4 T of melted butter over them when they come out of the oven, barely enough … next time I’ll melt 6 T. She wants you to bake one tray at a time.

Photos show first roll of 12" (after these are rolled, you roll them to 22-24"). I love her recipes, very clearly written, nice photos, she even has a video.

19 Likes

Ever since I read the advice to store yeast in the freezer, that’s what I’ve done. This recipe specifies Instant Yeast so that’s what I used (she also gives instructions if you only have active yeast).

Anyway, the date I wrote on the freezer ziplock is 2011 … so it’s still just fine!

6 Likes

Very nice! I can almost taste that cheese bread.

1 Like

Potato Flake Biscuits from Baking with Dorie. These are nice and flakey with a crisp bottom. The flavour that comes out most is the sauted onions in butter. I also tasted the parmesan cheese. Felt like these could used a little more salt. Used kefir instead of buttermilk. Not really a biscuit baker but this month’s

Tuesday with Dories choice. Liked them enough to make again.

15 Likes

Chihuahua or Muffin?
download

11 Likes

Coffee walnut cake from Delia. A popular combination of flavors in the UK, this cake follows the same recipe/formula as her classic sponge cake. The additions are espresso powder and finely chopped walnuts. My filling / frosting differs from hers , as she uses mascarpone instead of chocolate. I also made a basting syrup of espresso, sugar and water and applied liberally. This is a four inch cake, half the recipe made two tall cakes, one of which I froze.

11 Likes

Sounds wonderful. An ingredient comment - recipe lists “golden caster sugar” -
Edited - found this substitutions explanation at Spruce Eats
Looks like I will use blender to finely grind turbinado sugar / “sugar in the raw”

3 Likes

Have you noticed the Walnut Espresso Cake page 105 in Gâteau. Someone posted a picture on instagram and it looks very nice. I have had it bookmarked for awhile.

1 Like

I used Florida cane sugar, it was ground finely enough to suit me. It’s a pale golden color.
The walnuts ( I toasted them) need to be finely chopped or it will make the cake crumbly to slice.
I recommend a syrup baste also.
Please be aware that the recipe is for 7” cake tins , I think it would work in 6” tins but you would definitely need to scale up for 8”.

1 Like

Must take a look, I have not seen it, thank you. The cakes in that book are so good.

1 Like

Sourdough bread. I find that a little sprinkle of rice flour on top really helps with the slash.
Also first time using this silicone lift. Bought it on amazon. Love it. I did a light grease of the dutch oven walls.

18 Likes

That’s one gorgeous loaf of bread!

2 Likes

I have Smitten Kitchen’s Grapefruit Yogurt Cake in the oven. Grapefruit syrup is on the stove. Next up is the glaze. https://smittenkitchen.com/2007/01/grapefruit-yogurt-cake/

10 Likes

Thank you. It had a 2 day slow rise in the fridge.

1 Like

Irish Soda Bread, mostly white AP with some Odlums coarse whole meal flour. A favorite of ours for smoked salmon, also plan on using it with some thinly sliced pork loin.

16 Likes

Along with the the chocolate puff pastry I made, I made regular puff pastry, and yeah, regular puff is just so much tastier than chocolate puff to me.
I used this recipe and it worked perfectly. It’s so easy and I might never bother making rough puff again because this way of making puff gives you the benefit of regular puff (higher rise) while being no less easy than rough puff.

To use it I made kremsnita/krempita/cremeschnitte/etc

Most recipes feature crème legere/diplomat, but I saw one with essentially a Bavarian cream, and a couple with meringue whipped into the pastry cream. I saw this as a perfect opportunity to make chiboust, which I have always wanted to play with because I always find it too sweet. Pastry cream is sweetened enough, and so when you whip cream into it, it’s delicious and not too sweet. Sometimes some people even whip powdered sugar into the cream or make the pastry cream sweeter. Chiboust, on the other hand, incorporates Italian meringue into pastry cream, and most recipes feature a regular pastry cream. I made a small batch (half of a usual recipe with 2 cups of milk) and used just 10 grams of sugar rather than the 50 that would normally be used. The meringue was standard equal parts egg white and sugar.
One could also use less meringue as a way to cut sweetness, but using all the whites is typical.
The chiboust is still sweeter than something like diplomat, but delicious, not cloying, and better than any other chiboust I’ve attempted.

I should have baked my pastry and piped the cream on it as soon as it cooled, but didn’t get to it, so I had to pipe the already set chiboust on it.
I also didn’t really know how much cream I’d need for the amount of pastry, so I had extra puff which I struggled to not eat. :joy: I’m saving it for an ice cream mix-in.

Combined with the pastry, the chiboust’s sweetness is nicely mitigated and makes a very delicious pastry. I absolutely love it and would love to try again with adjusted amounts of cream.

13 Likes

I really appreciate you sharing these videos. Thanks!

2 Likes

Baked blueberry donuts with a salted maple glaze. Baked in my new Nordic Ware French Twist donut pan.

My recipe is modified from the U.S. High Bush Blueberry Council’s version. I’m pretty certain theirs is written for 12 mini donuts. I use 1 ½ times the recipe for twelve full-size donuts, and divide in half to get a half-batch of six. Since this results in fractions of eggs, I round up to whole eggs. I also use half-and-half both white and brown sugars. The biggest change I’ve made is to use dried berries, instead of fresh. I was never happy with the texture on the second day when using fresh berries (soggy). Snipping dried berries into little pieces (channeling RLB here) solves that problem.

While I wouldn’t mistake these for fried donuts, they are a tasty and slightly more wholesome treat.

16 Likes