what are you Baking? February 2024

Yes, a couple, I’ll message you tomorrow if you don’t mind.

1 Like

The SK / BA one is very rich. Here’s what I did:

8x2 quiche pan took about 80% of the pie crust, which I par baked.

Half a huge cauliflower chopped small to maximize caramelization and speed up cooking, half an onion sliced and put in on a separate pan halfway through (took much less time than the cauliflower).

Custard: 2 eggs, 1/4c drained whole greek yogurt, 1/4c whole milk.

Mustard on the bottom, layered half the veg, then cheese, then rest of veg, a bit more cheese, custard, pressed down to distribute the custard and submerge veg (just barely).

Took about 35 mins at 350.

1 Like

Thank you! I will most likely not parbake crust. I find I can get a well cooked bottom crust by freezing it first and using Fat Daddio’s tart tins which conduct heat very well ( on a stone). Sounds counter intuitive but it works for me.
Thanks again for your tips!

1 Like

Yes this was a Fat Daddio tin. I had to parbake given the vintage of the crust :flushed:

Didn’t make the custard till I knew the crust would be edible :joy:

(Otherwise it would have been pasta with roasted cauliflower for dinner :rofl:)

Does it have to be sweet, or will savory do?

I like adding potato starch to a kugel (NYT gift link here), as well as to latkes (another gift link here).

Savory is good too — I think I bought it for cheung fun ages ago!

1 Like

Hahaha! That was very wise but too funny!

1 Like

That looks really good. I love using apricot jam.

1 Like

This elderflower marmalade from IKEA is very mild. I hope they still make it.

1 Like

Gorgeous bagels!! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Reporting back on the Classic Victorian Sponge, the cake has stayed very moist overnight. The syrup was more evenly distributed throughout the cake and the jam also contributed to the moistness.The jigger of Pellegrino is under scientific review. The texture changed as well in a positive way.
@mig If you choose to make this again, the syrup was a generous tablespoon per layer.

5 Likes

Well, this cauliflower combo was delicious for dinner and breakfast so far!

4 Likes

I made some 60% whole wheat shokupan, which is delicious, but I wanted to try out the honey butter toast that has been haunting me on instagram :joy:. I have never tasted the original from Arome Bakery in London, so I have no clue if mine tastes like it. What appealed to me was that it wasn’t French toast or fried, but a deeply caramelized piece of crunchy on the outside, soft on the inside toast. I looked into it and people said 1.5 to 2 inch slices. I went with 1.5 and think it’s too much. One inch would be perfect to have a better ratio of crunchy to soft. I’m also not sure why this has to be baked rather than cooked over low heat in a pan.
I was generous with the salt and still thought a little more salt would be better. I wonder if reducing the brown sugar wouldn’t suit me better. It’s not bad, but I think I want something more buttery and salty.
I did think this type of toast in an ice cream would be incredible, and have been plotting maybe a cinnamon base with pieces of crunchy honey butter toast.

7 Likes

What is the one that is often citrus , and I believe made with vegetable oil? I somehow think chiffon.

Chiffon is made with vegetable oil as it was invented to give some of the richness of butter cake, but with an airy texture like angel food. It’s very commonly flavored with lemon, so it’s possible that’s why you associate it with citrus.
It’s not a true sponge in the sense that sponge cakes are technically made with whipped whole eggs while separated eggs fall into the category of “biscuit” (French pronunciation and meaning), but all of these are foam cakes that are made with whipped eggs and are generally just referred to as sponge cakes.

1 Like

Okay, thanks. I was served something called “chocolate chiffon cake” at ad hoc in Napa last week, but it seemed like a “plain old sheet cake” to me. I suppose a chiffon cake can be baked in a sheet pan, but the texture wasn’t what I was expecting, and it was a bit dry.

ETA Would you say it “keeps” better, maybe moister, than cakes made with butter?

Also, is there a good orange Chiffon cake recipe someone can share?

Chiffon is pretty moist cake, particularly Asian ones (lower ratio of flour to eggs), and they’re oil-based, so they do keep better. With moisture it all depends though. I find butter cakes here with our humidity don’t need any help staying moist (in fact any cake with fruit or crumb topping in it I have to refrigerate because they get sticky left outside), and in the USA I rarely had a butter cake make it past day three, when it was still plenty moist.
The benefit of sponge cakes in terms of keeping quality is that they can be refrigerated and frozen and still be soft straight out of the fridge, whereas a lot of butter cakes don’t do well when refrigerated and need to be served room temp.

1 Like

This orange chiffon is delicious:

I also love a couple of orange and olive oil chiffon cakes I’ve made before that I’d have to find.

And I love Alice Medrich’s vin santo chiffon, but the orange is just a small amount of zest.

ETA: another I love is from Deborah Madison:

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/lifestyle/deborah-madison-shares-her-favorite-recipes-in-in-my-kitchen/

1 Like

and in the USA I rarely had a butter cake make it past day three, when it was still plenty moist.

Day 6 of our Elvis Presley’s favorite pound cake. Drier, but still good. Husband will not suffer refrigerated cake (but I might :shushing_face:)

4 Likes

Assuming making a smaller cake is not an option, try freezing half or more for later. Six days is a lot to ask of any cake :laughing:. Don’t refrigerate, as that will make it stale.
Pound cake is really delicious toasted in some butter, too.

2 Likes