What are you baking? Feb 2023

Here you go!! I deleted the walnuts called for in the recipe. I didn’t have any in stock and I was too lazy to go to the store.

3 Likes

All the silicone pans I’ve had have been gifts. My former MIL gave me a loaf pan and square baking pan, and I disliked the results (weird textures anywhere in contact with the silicone). I’ve kept the square one for non-baking uses, like caramels. My stepmother gave me a set of pleated-side individual muffin cups, and those are much better. I mostly use one or a few if I have extra batter beyond what fits in a standard twelve- or six-well pan. They release easily and bake well, with no textural weirdness.

4 Likes

Thanks everyone. I dont think ill be investing into silicone.

1 Like

I’m really not, but thank you.

I finally got my hands on some nice pork belly thanks to some friends from Santo Domingo grabbing one at Price Smart for me (Dominican Costco). Cured and smoked it so I could finally make speka piragi: Latvian bacon dumplings.

They get egg-washed twice so they end up pretty dark, but it’s also that I had to leave and told my mother to take them out when golden and she of course wanted a time so I set 8 minutes but told her to check before. She claims she did, but I would have obviously checked them sooner and taken them out when they were lighter. Still they taste great and I have some leftover filling, so I’m making more dough and probably more filling to make another batch. I LOVE these!
Shot of a piece of the bacon. I’m really happy with how it turned out.

6 Likes

This looks so good! I have been looking for a recipe to use up some mascarpone and all my Eat Your Books search turned up was variations on tiramisu. What’s in it besides the mascarpone and honey?

I also agree about chilled butter cakes. A Daring Baker challenge i did had a butter cake Baked Alaska. Just no. Way too firm.

1 Like

How much mascarpone do you have? This is a go-to for me when I have leftover mascarpone. I reduce the sugar a bit and add salt and vanilla.

The ginger cake is from Judy Lai, who had a bakery in Queens called Silk Cakes, where she sold Asian-inspired baked goods.
I added more salt to this and used my almost 8-inch loaf pan, which is more similar to the disposable kind she used here than regular 8-inch pans.

And yeah, definitely sponge cake when making frozen desserts!

Another recipe I like for leftover mascarpone are these cupcakes:

This is another case of butter cake with whipped cream, but I find these are softer when chilled and also that the frosting is good when it’s not as cold. They are really delicious cupcakes. I usually sweeten the cream a little more.

Mascarpone also makes fantastically light and soft buns:

https://www.hefe-und-mehr.de/2020/07/mascarpone-burger-brtchen-feierabend-brot/

I have a couple of these given to me by my partner’s sister.

EXACTLY!

Oh thank you so much for all the ideas! I just have a 500g tub to use up.

With 500 I make tiramisu. Or even with 250. If you don’t like the classic, matcha or hojicha tiramisu are really nice.
It’s also really nice in cheesecake, especially no-bake ones.

This is the dessert I posted upthread except I used a chocolate cake layer I already had instead of making the brownie. I know you like playing around with desserts with multiple components, so it might be of interest.

1 Like

If you make egg muffin cups similar to this recipe , the silicone pans are the ONLY way to go. Having spent hours scrubbing standard and non-stick metal muffins pans after the first 2 times I made those – first time I thought I just hadn’t greased the pans enough — I was determined that there wouldn’t be a 3rd round. The silicone pans work perfectly for baking those and cleanup easily.

I also used them for these meatball subs in crescent dough snacks, and was pleased with the ease of just popping out the finished “sub”. The dough browned well and uniformly.

2 Likes

A nice “blondie” variation is this Martha Stewart Ginger, White Chocolate one, but recommend reducing the butter to 2 sticks (1 C.) Some commenters who thought the white chocolate made it too sweet had good success substituting in pecans or macademia nuts.

2 Likes

Today chocolate cookies!

1 Like

I had some when they first came out and don’t like them. The loaf pan capsized when I put banana bread batter in and made a huge mess.
I do have silicone cupcake liners I got at ikea that are great, for cupcakes and little egg bites.

Just saw this regarding silicon baking molds, I have several different ones, these I use for brioche and in this case, little chocolate cakes. The ones I have are thick, sturdy and release very easily. They are made in France and Italy and the silicon quality is very nice. But unless you need them for something like the egg bites, other molds probably work as well.

4 Likes

I am looking for something to bake bouchon and financier in. I looked on amazon.ca and the french or italian are expensive. The one i like is $64.

1 Like

Whoa! No way, they have skyrocketed in cost! I have had these for quite sometime.
I also used the petit popover pans for the bouchons by Nordic Ware, but they have also gone up drastically. :frowning:

I have a little set, mini cupcake/muffin size, that I used for making bath and shower tablets years ago. I think they were Wilton brand ( I probably bought them at JoAnn Fabrics. I thought they were fine for what I was using them for, but a little too lightweight for baking sweet treats in. I 've not seen the heavier ‘industrial’ types. I’d go with something heavier if making a cake or such.

Forgot I bought a madeline silicone pan for my madeline-loving nephew during the pandemic so we could bake them together — very effective.

1 Like

As you likely know, they were originally made for the baking industry before they became consumer products. I’ve seen racks of them in French bakeries. Used properly, they seem to work well.

I agree. There’s a lot of variance in the thickness of the silicone, so one has to be careful when buying.

They do sometimes need a bit of common sense - my nephew thought it could go right into the oven and I said no - on a sheet pan please, I don’t want to scrub spilled batter off :joy: the oven floor.

With the standalone muffin cups, depending on the batter, they can go in on their own on a tray (more at a time), or into a muffin tin (fewer) if I think the shape won’t hold.

I’ve got pretty mini ones with different shapes (rose, daisy, etc) that are ineffective for baked goods that I thought I’d use them, but do make nice molds for other things.

2 Likes