What Are You Baking? December 2023

They used to be on Chowhound. Yours is close but not quite it, although I’m sure it would be delicious. Bake the brownie mix in a 9x13 pan (so cook for less time 20-25 minutes). When this is almost done microwave together 9 oz chocolate chips (I use dark but any will do), a tablespoon butter, and peanut butter or speculoo butter (I don’t have the recipe in front of me, but i think 13 oz - this recipe is very forgiving) until melted together. Then add vanilla and the rice crispies (3 cups), you can also add salted peanuts. Spread this mixture over the brownies and refrigerate at least 2 hours.

2 Likes

Thank you!!! They look terrific.

1 Like

Here’s my copy of Toronto Jo’s recipe, with my own notes.

Bars of Fame/Shame (aka Peanut Butter Rice Krispy Brownies

1 box brownie mix (or make your own, but that defeats the simplicity)

Approximately 270 g (9 oz) milk or dark chocolate, chopped – do chop so it melts easily, or use 3/4 of a 12 oz bag chocolate chips

Approximately 375 g (13 oz) peanut butter (smooth or crunchy) or speculoos spread –MTT note – I use peanut butter – this is most (minus 3 T) of a small 15 oz jar!

1 T butter

1/2 t. vanilla (optional) MTT note - omitted

3 c. Rice Krispies

1 c roasted, salted peanuts, chopped (optional, MTT uses)

Flaky sea salt (optional, MTT omitted)

Mix the brownies according to directions for an 8x8 pan. Spread in a 9x13 baking pan (you want a thinner layer than a normal brownie) and bake at 325 for 20-25 minutes, until done to your liking.

You can either sprinkle the peanuts on top of the brownies before baking (MTT note – don’t do if planning to chill in freezer), or mix them in with the cereal (MTT - I mix in with cereal.)

A few minutes before the brownies are done, melt the chocolate, peanut butter, and butter in a large microwave safe bowl. Stir to combine. Stir in vanilla, if using. Add cereal, and chopped peanuts, stir gently to mix.

Remove brownies from the oven when done, spread cereal mixture evenly over the top of the hot brownies. Sprinkle with some flaky salt, if desired. Chill in fridge for at least 2 hours before cutting. These can be served cold, room temp, frozen – it doesn’t matter, they’re good at any temp.

FYI: You can use a sheet of (regular or non-stick) foil to line the pan before making the brownies so that you can just lift the whole thing out after it’s cooled. Place the whole thing on a cutting board and cut it easily.

7 Likes

Thank you!!!

1 Like

This is a another recipe that is similar, but has PB Cups added. I sort of seem to remember TorontoJo based hers on a crack brownie recipe and omitted the PB Cups. (I used to take part in potlucks, Cookie Days and Cake Days as well as check out restaurants,with TorontoJo, fickle, jlunar, pinstripeprincess and sweetie, for close to a decade!)

I have made this recipe. It’s the recipe another former Chowhound friend recommended to me.

Iirc, the Ghirardelli brownie mix was the mix TorontoJo would use.

6 Likes

Chewy cocoa brownies from Snackable Bakes. Lovely sheen. Quick to make with minimal cleanup. I served them with french vanilla ice cream. Third recipe from this book and each one a winner.

12 Likes

Totally forgot about the salt on top at the end - I think it is necessary. This is a pretty sweet treat, and the crunchy salt bites are so good.

2 Likes

If I wanted to serve this for Christmas dinner, could I make it Saturday and keep it on the counter?

Delicious chocolate shortbread

14 Likes

It’s a pound cake so will keep well.

2 Likes

Hi. Would it be possible to get the recipe for this bread, please? It looks like the most amazing bread, ever. Thank you.

Sure!

235 g bread flour
4 g salt
15 g sugar
8 g milk powder
3 g instant yeast
35 g milk
85 g water
40 g egg (crack one egg, beat it well, and measure this amount out then save the rest for egg washing the dough before baking)

15 g butter, softened

Filling:
35-40 g salted butter, softened
2 large cloves of garlic, minced
Minced parsley

For assembling:
85-100 g grated mozzarella or any melty cheese you like

Dissolve the yeast in the liquid ingredients then add to dry ingredients and mix until no dry flour remains. You can then either cover your bowl and put in the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes, or you can proceed to knead until you feel the gluten development (dough starts to feel elastic). Then add in the butter and knead until very strong gluten network is developed. I do this by hand and it takes about 15 minutes, but can be done on medium speed in a mixer for maybe 8 minutes total— four minutes before butter is added, then another 3-4 minutes after adding it.

Round the dough into a ball and place into a clear lidded to ferment. It should take 1 hour or 1 1/2 hours to double unless your kitchen is very cold.

Once doubled, punch down and divide into 5 pieces for the classic wool roll bread, which is how I typically shape this bread. It can also be made as a pull-apart as I did here, a regular loaf, individual rolls similar to cinnamon rolls, a braid, or whatever shape you prefer.

This video shows how to shape wool roll bread:

I mix all the ingredients for the butter then divide into five portions. Likewise the cheese I divide into five portions. I roll out each piece of dough and spread with the butter and scatter cheese on top then roll up as shown and place in an 8 or 9-inch round pan lined with parchment on the bottom.

Once shaped, proof 45 minutes to 1 hour. Preheat the oven to 375° F 20-30 minutes before proofing is done. Egg wash the bread and bake 30 minutes? Honestly I’ve never gotten an exact time for it. I bake until at least 190° internal temperature, by which point it’s a beautiful golden brown.

4 Likes

I made this pear croustade. It was delicious.

I like fruit desserts where the fruit isn’t cooked before it’s baked and where there’s a large quantity of fruit.

I made this croustade once previously and used the amount of nutmeg called for in the recipe. It was too much; we couldn’t taste anything but nutmeg. This time I just ran the Microplane over the nutmeg a few times. The amount was just right.

8 Likes

This looks right up my alley!

1 Like

Is the time/temperature listed in the recipe correct? Baking an hour at 400 degrees F seems long.

1 Like

Is cacao powder and unsweetened cocoa powder generally interchangeable ?

My quick search seems to indicate yes-ish, with the understanding that cacao might be slightly bitter compared to the cocoa. Cacao - minimally processed, cocoa - more processed.

I only have cacao. I don’t want to buy the other since I don’t bake often.

I want to make chocolate granola, all the recipes I see list unsweetened cocoa powder.

Maybe I just try the swap with a leap of cacao faith. :roll_eyes:

Cocoa powder isn’t raw and a lot of recipes want Dutch-processed. The stuff labeled cacao powder is raw and I’d suspect might have less fat than cocoa powder, though it would vary by brand. Have you made hot cocoa with this stuff? That should give you an idea of how it will taste.
For granola you should have no problem whatsoever, so the only issue is the taste, which will definitely be more acidic and probably harsher than cocoa powder.
If you haven’t tried it, use it in a cup of hot cocoa and see how you like it.

1 Like

I baked it for an hour at 400 degrees Fahrenheit and it came out perfect.

1 Like

So I made another batch of Tollhouse a couple days ago . I decided to weigh the flour with my digital scale . 2 1/4 cup = 270 grams .
This looks like less than the measuring cup . Hmmm . Its got to be right its digital.
Whats wrong when I pulled the first batch out of the oven . They look flat and greasy.
I checked the scale with a cup of water to calibrate .It was all over the place .Not even close .
Live and learn .Merry Christmas.

2 Likes

I should post this on the baking failure thread but it tasted too good for me to consider it a failure. Good enough to still give the better looking one to neighbor who I was baking it for. She is a good enough friend to not mind imperfection. I tried my hand at a panettone. I used a recipe using a sourdough starter and instant yeast. I think it would have worked out better if I had used osmotolerant yeast. I have used it in the past for sweet bread and it does work better but I can’t bring myself to pay $9.99/lb + shipping. I make a sweet dough once a year at most. I wish they sold them in small packets. The recipe stated the second rise would be 4-5hrs at 80 degrees and up to 12 hours at room temp. I used light of oven to keep temp up. I expected to put it in the oven after dinner but by 3:30 am it had still not risen as much as it should so I cooked it anyway. It was no surprise that it did not rise as intended.

Tasty though!

14 Likes