What Are You Baking? December 2023

My next batch . Thank you. Less flour plus shortening , OK .

1 Like

Don’t be fooled by this cookie advertising itself as vegan – it’s lovely. You can swap in some butter for flavor. Resting the dough is key. I find the salt they call for too much - a pinch in the dough, and none on top. You can freeze the cookie dough balls and bake from frozen.

3 Likes

Thanks for the advice . Helping me avoid another recipe sabotage. Ill probably chicken out and stay with the standard tollhouse .

Can’t go wrong with that one. This one is dangerously easy, though. No eggs and butter, no creaming.

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

I seem to remember a lot of content/lore/opinions around “whole orange” cakes back on Chowhound. Does anyone remember the consensus around the best version of this? I was just reading about the “Sunset” whole orange cake here, and am very tempted to try it.

1 Like

If anyone is interested on you tube Claire Saffiz is making Parisian Flan and shows a neat way to insert pastry dough into a spring form. Its at the beginning, so you dont have to watch the whole episode. Why didnt i think of that?

1 Like

Clever!

1 Like

Apricot Foldovers were baked this morning - filling and dough prepared yesterday. I use quantities for filling and dough provided by CH’er AGM Cape Cod, as shown below, but the instructions on this similar Apricot Tea Cookies recipe from Taste of Home. Mine are left unglazed. It takes me about 30 minutes to cut, fill and fold a half recipe, two pans (18 cookies per pan).

Filling - For a single batch of dough, double this and use the extra as jam. I came up short with a single batch. Don’t attempt in microwave (it burns)– prepare stovetop and simmer 10 minutes, stirring every minute! For a double batch of dough uses 3.5 x filling.

¼ cup orange juice x 3.5 = ¾ C plus 2 T
6 Tablespoons sugar x 3.5 = 1 ¼ C plus 1 T
4 ounces chopped dried apricots (CJB about 3/4 C.) x 3.5 = about 2 ¾ C. (14 oz)
Dough: I make a double batch for enough to mail to families.
1¼ cup unsifted flour x 2 = 2 ½ C
6 Tablespoons sugar x 2 = 3/4 C
Pinch salt x 2 = 1/8 tsp.
4 ounces cream cheese x 2 = 8 oz
¼ cup butter x 2 = ½ C (1 stick)
3 Tablespoons sour cream x 2 = 6 T

I will add photo.

12 Likes

I think it was a Nigella recipe I made. Whole oranges and almond flour. Moist and delicious.

2 Likes

My favourite is the Nigella one with the boiled clementines and ground almonds. So delicious!

2 Likes

And Nigella’s version is based on a Claudia Roden recipe.

3 Likes

I love this recipe too. A couple of years ago i brought it to a pot luck and it was a big hit. One of the women said it was the best cake she ever ate.

1 Like

Cranberry Pinwheels corrected link this afternoon. I use the entire batch of base dough to get enough cookies for mailing and cookie trays. I also make some larger, so get about 7 dozen rather than 10 dozen. I use melted vanilla bark / candy quick for the drizzle, not white chocolate chips. Photos show after/before the frosting drizzle.

13 Likes

I took a babka making course yesterday afternoon with a friend: the instructor had some babka baking in the oven for us to sample. We made the dough, and prepped it, and were instructed to bake it within an hour of leaving class. I just made it back in time ( after a very eventful streetcar ride home, when a clearly inebriated man sat next me, swigged from a bottle of gin, and told me that I was looking “very fine…”) and got in the oven. Alas: I overbaked it. My own fault for not trusting my instincts… she told us to bake for 35-40 minutes and I went to 50 because it didn’t “look right”… That said, it still looked tasty and there is so much chocolate it was still edible! next time I will take it out sooner…

16 Likes

That sounds like such a fun thing to do! It looks good to me.

2 Likes

Did he at least offer you a swig? :grin:

4 Likes

Lemony Stripes. This vanilla dough, the same one as for the cranberry pinwheels, with 2 1/2 tsp lemon extract added for the full recipe. About 12 drops of dye for 1/3 of the dough gives the pale color. The stripe layering and slicing technique is nicely explained at that same site’s version using almond paste. These spread quite a bit and I make some as the larger 2-inch side slices but prefer cutting to 1 inch wide before baking to make more appropriately bite-sized cookies for trays.

13 Likes

Fortunately not :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Decided to try out Helen Rennie’s oatmeal cookies, which are an adaptation of a CI recipe.
As I’ve mentioned, I do not like neutral oils in baking save for a few exceptions like chiffon and other sponge cakes, and maybe chocolate cake (though many of my favorite chocolate cakes are butter-based, too). I want no oil in my muffins, butter cakes, and any other baked goods where butter plays a prominent role unless it’s olive oil, which I find delicious. This recipe had such good feedback that I decided to give it a try anyway.
The cookies aren’t bad but I can absolutely taste the oil just as I can when I taste muffins and other baked goods made with oil and they definitely suffer for it. It doesn’t matter what the oil is (I hate canola oil so I never use it, opting for sunflower or corn when I need something neutral), it is clear when butter has been replaced by it to me.
The brown butter here is not enough to make up for the oil, and frankly given how much sugar is in these cookies I don’t see the benefit of using oil for softness and chew. They would be so with all butter and taste much better. The brown butter I typically use in oatmeal cookies (and ONLY butter) is sorely missed.

8 Likes