What are you baking? August 2023

I’m on team biscuits when it comes to cobbler, so I’m glad you tried this one out. I also tend to like cobbler with cold cream most of all— more than ice cream and whipped cream easily.

1 Like

I love to pour cold buttermilk over mine. Only reason I didn’t automatically do that today is that I had company.

3 Likes

I came here to say I found this recipe (I think it’s actually Cook’s Country, not ATK) at the peak of New England blueberry season. I live in the Boston area, where there is a local shop that sells spectacular homemade Greek yogurt. Subbing in 1/2 cup of 2% fat yogurt and 1/4 cup of their 0% honey yogurt, and cutting the sugar to 4 tbsp is uncannily like the original cake, but with a lot less fat. We love picking berries at this time of year, and this cornbread is definitely joining the regular baking rotation!

3 Likes

Thanks for posting!

I admit, the calorie-count for this one (as written) is a little off-putting. The original recipe (9" round pan) calls for:

1 c. whole milk
12 T. unsalted butter, melted

How much of this have you been replacing with yogurt?

Well noted regarding the sugar.

chocolate souffle

16 Likes

When an overfed super-active preferment meets additional yeast in the bread recipe, you get my latest creation,

EdvardMunchBrød

TheScream

I was making pizza last Weds with a preferment and decided to make a second sponge and see how fast I could force acid formation, to make the bread not later than Sunday afternoon when a visiting daughter was heading back home. I fed it twice a day between Thursday and Saturday and once again Sunday morning, keeping it at room temp.

When I made the bread I continued on with a bread recipe I’ve used before (doubled) as if I was just using the as-stated, 8-12 hour sponge, including the called for amount of yeast to be added when mixing the ingredients.

I almost had a little “scream” when I peeked out at it on the patio, overflowing the resting bowl less than half-way through its supposed first proofing period.

Ditto fast rising in the pan.

Oh well, doesn’t everyone need a semi-sour sandwich loaf that’s almost 8 inches high?

Still, it turned out nicely with only that one fairly large gas pocket (visible in the first loaf photo above) and even that only ran about 3 inches of the 16-inch loaf.

Made a bunch of nice grilled cheeses from it, and my daughter was able to take a third of a loaf back home with her.

16 Likes

At the moment I have a kitchenette sans oven. But if I COULD bake, I’d try this alternative to pound cake, taking the opportunity.to top it with fresh, macerated stone fruit or berries.

2 Likes

Tomato tart again, this one with a layer of tapenade, followed by drained ricotta with goat cheese, fresh thyme and marjoram. Tomatoes were brushed with basil oil when the tart was removed from oven.

And a mega turnover made in a 1/8th sheet pan. Picked up some Italian purple plums at the FM and some raspberries, so made a predominately plum turnover with a small handful of raspberries. It’s good not to forget to put parchment in pan, it’s a challenge otherwise to remove it without breaking it!

16 Likes

Day 3 report of my eggless orange olive oil cake experiment: it’s delicious!

The orange flavor is strong, but it tastes completely different combined with the molasses in the jaggery.

But I should also have reduced the oil by half because the yogurt adds a lot of moistness (and richness).

6 Likes

That’s like Tiger Bread.

Well done.

6 Likes

@Aubergine I found my notes from when I made them. Here are the recipe links – 1/4 recipe made 2 english muffins.

https://www.foodgal.com/2012/07/ingenious-english-muffin-bread-made-in-a-microwave/

2 Likes

This tomato tart combo sounds really good. Did you make up your own ingredient combination or was it from a recipe?

1 Like

No recipe per se, but it’s just a simple layering of a skim coat of tapenade on a very cold unbaked crust. Ricotta was drained on several layers of paper towels for five minutes or so, pressing lightly , I had about 1/4 of an egg nearby that I added, along with s/p, fresh thyme and marjoram, then some Bucheron diced/sliced. I had about a 1/4” layer of the cheese, sometimes I’ll grate some parmesan over that. I had sliced and lightly salted the small tomato halves and let them drain a bit upside down on paper towels, I gave them a light press. Baked at 400*convection bake for twenty minutes, rotating. Then about ten minutes more on just bake. Brushed with basil oil when removed. The bottom of crust was golden brown. This reheated well on a griddle the following day, it’s best served warm.

4 Likes

I make a variation of this, except that I serve it hot with a dollop of cold tapenade on top (no tapenade on the bottom). I like the contrast of the cold tapenade with the hot tomato and cheese.

2 Likes

Sounds delicious !! So many wonderful options for deliciousness. Mustard and cheddar, fontina with black olives and capers…no limits!

1 Like

Brownies with walnuts

Made in the microwave.

#BecauseTooHot

2.PNG

10 Likes

Hmmm, recipe ?

Combine butter and dark chocolate (I used 85%) and microwave until melted.

Add superfine sugar and combine. Set aside.

Then microwave some milk so that it is warm to the touch (like you would with baby formula). About 30 seconds, give or take.

Then combine milk with the chocolate/butter/sugar mixture.

Add almond flour, walnuts (optional) and dark chocolate chips (optional) to the mixture. Combine.

Transfer and pour into microwave safe dish.

Microwave on HI for 90-100 minutes, or until the tops are slightly firm, longer if you like a more “well done” brownie.

Remove, let cool, eat.

Seconds, perhaps?

1 Like

Nuke for 90 MINUTES?!

And it works, you say? (Any chance you have amounts/proportions?)

1 Like