What are you baking? August 2022

I was gifted some zucchini so I made the zucchini tortillas from Alexandra Cooks. https://alexandracooks.com/2022/07/16/zucchini-tortillas-4-ingredients-gluten-free-baked/
Just salted, drained and squeezed zucchini, egg and Parmesan. These were quick and easy to bake, and are good with eggs and salsa overtop.

12 Likes

Finished assembling my 2nd milk bar birthday cake this morning. It is in the freezer but I’ll move it to the fridge before going to bed. Tomorrow is my last day in a therapy group and the Monday counselor on Friday asked what I was bringing because she wanted something to look forward to. It isn’t going to look as nice as the first I think but it will definitely taste great. . . if you like sweet Funfetti-type cakes. I’m not a big sweets person but I definitely have a soft spot for this cake.

9 Likes

Blueberry galette from Jessie Sheehan’s Snackable bakes. I messed up the first time and rolled the berries in the flour mixture for the crust not the sugar mixture for the filling. I fished out all the berries and proceeded as usual but couldn’t let it go so made a half galette the right way. Both are delicious. I prefer a standard pie crust but this is way easier especially for those who are fearful of making our crust. My husband preferred the mistaken galette.

12 Likes

King Arthur Flour’s Perfectly Pillowy Cinnamon Rolls.

Made these in a class today at the Skagit Valley King Arthur Baking School. It was a fun afternoon, and I got to try a few new-to-me techniques, including use of a tangzhong.

These came out light and airy - good stuff.

Most of the cinnamon rolls didn’t make it home, as we ate them enroute in lieu of dinner.

15 Likes

Few things better than a good cinnamon roll, and those look delish.

3 Likes

I love her blog, recipes!

1 Like

Sour Cherry Crostata from My Kitchen Year. Part of my cleaning out the freezer project was using up the last of the sour cherries from last year, even though I missed them this year. Also discovered I had already packed the rolling pin, so a wine bottle was put to work. I really like this tart. Also made homemade jello with the excess juice, but ate that before I got a picture.

18 Likes

Beautiful. I love the idea of a sour cherry gelêe (to get fancy).

1 Like

she’s the loveliest person - we’ve become friends after “meeting” on IG and she’s just the kindest and most generous person.

2 Likes

Earlier this year, my neighbor gave me a 5 gallon bucket of Dorsett Golden apples (he grew them and had a bumper crop), and I didn’t want them to go to waste. So I peeled, cored, quartered, soaked in lemon juice/water solution and froze them. I ended up with (2) one gallon freezer bags of apples. Moreover, I didn’t want to throw out the sweet potato “liquid” from the can of sweet potatoes I opened last night, so I made a brown sugar quick bread with that liquid and some apples.

I don’t know if I should glaze it with a butter/brown sugar/milk glaze or not. (BTW, I’m not sure if this glaze is called a “butterscotch” glaze or a “Caramel” glaze.) When my girlfriend gets up, I’ll have her taste it and let me know if I should glaze it or leave it alone.

10 Likes

Japanese milk bread Yudane style, just a couple of buns for lunch today. These are a composite of several recipes that I looked at and adapted. Sprinkled with nigella seeds for a little hint of onion. Hoping for slightly “squishy” but with a little bit of structure, some pork bbq is headed their way.

12 Likes

I can smell them from here. MMM!

1 Like

Taste test later! Thanks for the smiles!

Turns out, my girlfriend thought this quick bread was sweet enough. She did want to some melted butter on it.
I know she liked it as she had two pieces yesterday, so that was a win.

1 Like

Pain de miel in my 13x4x4 pullman pan. Its a big bread. I’ll either freeze some or give some away. Dh is making a BLT right now. Still havent made bread Nannybakes recommended, missing some of the ingredients.

10 Likes

Stef…first, your bread looks wonderful! Don’t be held to that exact composition of ingredients, it’s very flexible. I frequently add whole wheat and rye to part of the total weight of flour. The only constant is the oatmeal, and I’m using “baby” oatmeal from the Amish market. I found the bread needs more liquid than their suggestion. Enjoy the blt’s!

Thanks, its the dry milk and potato flour im missing.

Ah…that’s a different recipe. The one I’ve been making is the honey oat pain de mie, it’s for the smaller pan, so if you get to make it, the volume will have to be increased.

Thanks, it says to increase ingredients by 50% except yeast. Bookmarked.

1 Like

Ham and cheese pull-apart bread.

13 Likes