What are you baking? August 2022

I have - we like it as much as I recalled! Details posted here.

I can’t resist buying all of the peaches that I can find, and not even I can keep up eating them all! So I made a half batch of these peach crumb bars https://www.browneyedbaker.com/peach-crumb-bars/ which I seem to make at least once a summer?

Highly recommended…

11 Likes

One of my favorites from Rustic Fruit Desserts is the peach grunt. You add the peach juice from macerating to the caramel sauce. Delicious.

4 Likes

emphasized textooh they look amazing!

1 Like

Currently being tortured by the aroma of chocolate cake wafting out of the oven, with 45 mins of baking still to go. (Note to self: I have not counted coolng time.)

4 Likes

Finally! Here it is — my chocolate loaf cake!

Have been craving a rich, moist chocolate cake but didn’t want a fuss. Couldn’t decide on a recipe so I used elements from a couple. Melted chocolate plus cocoa bloomed in water, and a combination of butter and oil for flavor + moistness.

Batter was a bit thinner than I expected, but it baked up beautifully.

20 Likes

That crumb! Looks amazing

3 Likes

I want to eat it! :yum:

1 Like

I’m quite pleased :smiley: – really needed a chocolate fix!

I think it’s going to be even moister and more intense tomorrow :crossed_fingers:t4:

1 Like

Happy to share!

2 Likes

Most chocolate cakes are best two and three days after baking, I’ve found.

I love the Nigella one I made.

Daughter discovered these in the freezer today. According to her, they’re what pop tarts wish they could be and are in her words “absolutely delicious!”. They appear to hold up very well. She microwaved one for 30 seconds from frozen. Will have to try one with afternoon coffee tomorrow. It looks like chef Courtney has come up with a winner.

2 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

Nice bread and oven. I love my countertop oven. Looove muffin bread. King Arthur really has good recipes most of the time. One I thought wouldn’t be as good is their onion bun recipe. Just onion powder for the onion flavor. I dunno. Haven’t tried it b/c I want the diced onion chunks on there. Anyone have a good onion bun recipe?

These are ones I like:

3 Likes

Thanks so much. Those look the look that I’m looking for. Hopefully they taste the taste that I’m tasting for. Much appreciated Shellybean!

1 Like

Brown sugar spice cake from Everyday Dorie. This recipe comes together quickly and the spices are so good with italian plums. In the cookbook the spices are ginger, cardamom, cinnamon and coriander but on line coriander has been replaced by five spice. This recipe is easy to miss because there is no picture and plums are not in the title. EYB brought my attention to it. We really liked it and its going on my repeat list.

8 Likes

I’ve made this cake — in fact, my HO avatar is a photo of it — and I agree it is very nice. The spices are a good complement to the plums but don’t overwhelm them.

I also like her dimply plum cake from Baking from My Home to Yours. I up the amount of cardamom considerably (she calls for 1/4 teaspoon), and add a dash of vanilla.

4 Likes

I upped the cardamom too. Love that spice. I have plums left over will look at the other recipe, thanks