What Are You Baking? April 2024

Gateau aux Baies (Berry Cake) from prior BCOTM Gateau. I have a little over a quart of last year’s blueberries left in the freezer and decided to revisit this one. At the time I declared it my favorite cake from the book.

Today I made a half-recipe baked in a 7” springform pan, using limoncello as the boozy element, and a very little extra lemon juice and sugar sprinkled on top. Just as good as my recollection of it.

11 Likes

Cheesy Jalepeno Cornbread
Hot pickled jalapeños, cheddar are included in the fine cornmeal flour/AP batter. My pickled jalapeños were very hot and I meant to put in half of the amount called for in the recipe, but inadvertently included the entire amount. The surface has a fresh jalapeño and some more sharp cheddar. I used cornflour instead of fine cornmeal as it happened to be handy.
This is from Yossy’s latest book, “Snacking Bakes”.
Will report back smiling if it’s not too hot!
ETA. This is a 6x6”smaller version.

14 Likes

Very good! Fine crumb, more cake like style of cornbread. The hot jalapeños worked out fine. I’d make this again!
Besides the book which I do not own, I got this recipe from google books.

7 Likes

How I love the whimsical topping! No one can see this and not smile! Thank you!

2 Likes

:grin: You are more than welcome!

1 Like

I’ve found that hot peppers mellow some when cooked.

1 Like

Yes, that’s true but these were pickled and didn’t lose their punch! They were only softened by the cornbread, my mouth is still singing :blush:

My cousin SIL is in town for work, so I wanted to send something back with her for my nephews, and remembered that they had requested the orange olive oil cake at Thanksgiving.

Luckily I had oranges and also zested sugar from an orange I ate last week :joy: (i can’t “waste” zest anymore – I always zest an orange into sugar before eating it now :rofl:)

Made a full recipe, 2/3 for the boys (I can’t fit more than that into a takeout container for her to carry) and 1/3 for the kids of my friend who’s hosting a wine event tomorrow.

Of course, I had to level the doming to fit the cakes into takeout containers for travel… so I have a small container of trimmings for myself :grimacing:

Interesting thing today was that the cakes domed a lot even though I baked them at 300F. I might pull out my cake strips next time, or pour some water into the tray to slow it down a bit. I had a thermometer in there the whole time, so I know it wasn’t an oven issue.

11 Likes

Brilliant.

4 Likes

Or something :roll_eyes: :joy:

4 Likes

I’m writing this as someone who has two fully zested lemons in the fridge right now, sliced and awaiting tea (or something).

5 Likes

I wonder if you reduce the leavening agent a bit if that would help?
In lieu of baking strips, strips of aluminum foil wrapped around mold might slow down the rise.
Re: orange sugar… I put orange peel strips in processor with sugar, pulverize very finely, and then freeze in a zip loc baggie, sometimes just a few tablespoons as part of the overall sugar amount is enough.

6 Likes

MR…my usual lemonade is one whole lemon, ends removed and cut into eighths…remove seeds. Place in blender with two cups water and sweetener of choice. Pulse blend until pieces of lemon are 1/4” or so. Strain into pitcher, ( I usually do two lemons, 4c water) and chill. Serve over ice with a splash of San Pellegrino. My favorite for this are Meyer lemons but any thin skinned lemon works. Since you are missing the peel, it won’t be quite as intense, but perhaps a little less water to start.

4 Likes

Great idea - thank you!

1 Like

Only way I make lemonade! So good!

1 Like

May I recommend orange shrub and lemon shrub for your summer lemonade and other needs?

I went on a shrubs kick for a while after the book was featured on our of our cook-along threads on Chowhound, and the results just with water or sparkling water were just lovely.

Also ended up using the shrubs for baking, and the intensity of flavor was something else.

4 Likes

I was thinking about this also. I use the foil strips and diy cake strips (cut up hand towel) interchangeably if I’m baking a layer cake, but got out of the habit the past couple of years.

But at 300, it’s very puzzling.

Nice idea on keeping the zesty sugar in the freezer. I microplane directly into 1/4 cup or so of baking sugar, and use it up on the next one! But I have a few oranges to use up, so the baggie nakes sense.

I sometimes peel 2/3 oranges into the processor with a small amount of sugar and let it rip. The sugar doesn’t freeze solid so it’s easy to remove a few tablespoons.

2 Likes

Do you have a recommendation for a simple shrub?

I have cake strips as well but rarely use, maybe triple fold aluminum foil strips and give it a go next time.