What Are You Baking? April 2024

Thank you

Thanks

Very nice, light, not overly dense from too much olive oil. Citrus flavor was very evident and the orange segments, sour cream and Grand Marnier all contributed to a pleasing combination of taste and texture. I make another whole orange cake that I might like a tad more, very similar to this one. I’ll find link and post tomorrow. I might add that I did not follow directions for making the batter but made it all in the FP. I puréed the oranges and sugar and added the rest of the wet ingredients incrementally, flour got pulsed in last. This was a third of the recipe.

9 Likes

This sounds like a blend of Santiago cake and the whole orange cake someone’s grandma used to make that was popular on chowhound.

Did you see Milk Street’s blender cake series recently — they had a mandarin orange cake as one of them.

I’ve have been making the whole orange cake in a dozen iterations since raineyramone posted it on Chowhound. It’s a N.Z. recipe that was on a website that kids would enjoy making, iirc.
It’s a different consistency than a Santiago cake, a little more rustic.
And since I’ve made a third , I’m sure you could make a sixth.:rofl:

1 Like

Yes, I think the other one was called Tehama’s orange cake iirc.

Oh yeah — here it is

2 Likes

https://www.kidspot.com.au/kitchen/recipes/orange-blender-cake/ddbrvnlf

This was the original recipe, there are variations from NZ with two eggs which is what I use. I reduce the sugar and use a lesser amount of evoo rather than butter. It has a slightly finer crumb.

4 Likes

Yes I remember @RainyRamone sharing this one.

One of these days I want to try making one of these after cooking the whole orange, to see if it mellows the pith bitterness I could detect when I made it as written (like a whole meyer lemon jam I tried during the pandemic). Maybe clementines would have a lower ratio of pith / bitterness.

I think that accounts for the large amount of sugar, I use thin skinned oranges most frequently. Today was a mandarin and a Meyer lemon. There is a higher proportion off oranges in the Nordic Ware cake than in the blender cake version. I use 200g orange for the blender version , the Nordic Ware has 400g. With a greater amount of AP and almond flour.
ETA…I remove the center pith section that runs done the mandarin and the Meyer.

1 Like

The Loopy Whisk blog has a lot of recipes that are both gluten-free and vegan, if you’re looking for ideas in the future.

2 Likes

I’m sure it will turn out well, neither vegan nor gluten free prevent deliciousness.

Possibly my favorite ccc (and my most frequently made one at any rate) is vegan, and I’ve made it gluten free as often as not.

1 Like

Re cooked citrus…I make a Rachel Roddy marmalade cake but substitute the lemon jam for marmalade. It’s my favorite quickie cake, never disappoints.

1 Like

Similar to this?

1 Like

Yes, that it. I tried to post the link but the previous link kept coming up instead.

Last week, DH and I hit the outlets and impulse-bought a Le Creuset mini loaf pan for about 40% off. We figured this would work like a cupcake pan, but more fun?

DS wanted marble cake, so we used this birthday cake recipe and made half the batter chocolate by adding 2T cocoa and 2T whole milk. His marbling skills need some practice (this was one of mine) but they were pretty tasty. Baked 20min and probably could have pulled out at 18.5 min.

In case anyone else is considering buying this pan: next time I’d use a recipe intended for a 9” pan. We felt a little short - our recipe was intended for two 6” rounds (or one 8”).

11 Likes

Always good to know! Thank you…

1 Like

It’s that time of year when I look at last year’s preserves and think “oh man, that’s a lot”. I still have about 30 jars to use up. This Jessie Sheehan recipe is great: uses up 2 cups of jam! https://www.thespruceeats.com/one-bowl-oatmeal-jam-bars-4843487 Also very quick and easy. This time I used one jar of red and black currant and one of “four red fruit”. Some of it to work tomorrow, the rest in the freezer for emergencies

12 Likes

(post deleted by author)

2 Likes

I’ve got SO much marmalade lying around, this could definitely be useful.

1 Like

I’d wager that you can reduce sugar and increase marmalade by a good bit.

1 Like