WFD meta discussion

Your case is interesting, as you’ve a lot of views (more than 10k in many cases) on many of your restaurants threads, but not a lot of discussions or feedback. In this case, I wonder if the views are coming from non members. Maybe you can ask some of your friends to join us? LOL!

Like you say, these days there are too many FB discussions, and IG.

4 Likes

Most definitely.

Believe me, I’ve tried! :joy:

It’s just that many of them are pretty well-established on Instagram.

But food forums like HO provide a precious resource for anyone to delve deeper into any topic - something we can’t do on Instagram with its 10-photo and 2,200-character limit, and 280-character limit for Twitter.

I’m awaiting for the next wave of change in habit where Instagram, Twitter and even Facebook users tire of the limitations of those platforms and return to platforms such as ours.

8 Likes

For a regional board to work, I think you need at least 8-10 active members, 2-3 very hard core members who write regular detail posts and a few to participate discussions. This might start to stir interest.

As for Europe board, it’s really tough, as English isn’t the main language here, little interest for most foodies. I see CH’s French board has a few hardcore members, but they become an information booth for restaurants planning when new members sign up just when they need advice for their next vacation. (They should charge their services). Well established people in the field have their outlet or habits in posting.

6 Likes

I believe making the micro boards on CH was a big part of the problem.

2 Likes

Heavy handed administration pushed me out. The very focused board in which I participated enjoyed some of the best of the best posters on the subject. But we knew each other and found that we didn’t need Chow to continue our communion.

5 Likes

Cook , Eat , live , Drink , Dine out . That’s what is about. Who cares from where or why . Inspire . Cheers . :wine_glass:

8 Likes

Word!

6 Likes

Put simply, the reason I don’t participate in the WFD thread is because I don’t know how or care to learn how to take, upload and post photos. I notice a few posters only write descriptions. Guess I’ll give That a shot. Who knows, maybe someone somewhere will take inspiration from what I write about my dinner. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

This will help you if you want to upload photos. If you need more help, I’m glad to help via private message.

3 Likes

Please do! I am one of those who loves reading descriptions of recipes/techniques and I know there are others. I look forward to reading about your dinner adventures. :smiley:

5 Likes

I just use my phone for pics, otherwise I wouldn’t post any. You can type on another device (laptop, iPad) if you prefer, then edit your post from your phone to upload pics to it. Very easy. We can walk you through it.

3 Likes

@naf, as someone who tends to end up on the side of the lurkers (and in addition to my earlier post), i’d say the chattiness of WFD is a wonderful thing. i think it helps build that sense of community, getting to know people more than just the gorgeous food they eat/cook. even though my own posts responding to others has dropped off due to work destroying my free time, i still feel some connection to @gcaggiano and his amazing meals and drinks, @paryzer for those fantastic meals out i wish i could be enjoying, @LindaWhit for her meals and glasses of wine, @Saregama for managing to stay sane and balance all those different requirements and still put out wonderful meals and of course @Barca for those gorgeous photos and meals. that’s just off the top of my head, i know i’m leaving out a ton of people - without the back and forth, i doubt i’d have anything close to that sense of connection or familiarity. the PSTOB wouldn’t exist otherwise!

14 Likes

Totally agree - thanks!

1 Like

That might be me. I often read, sometimes post pictures, but lately feel a bit " over " making anything “inspired”. Sometimes it is hard to keep up, and I don’t want anyone to think I don’t appreciate their effort cooking or sharing.

4 Likes

Never! :grin:

4 Likes

I feel like a stuck record, but it doesn’t have to be inspired or fancy or anything other than… dinner!

I guarantee you’ll be seeing lots of eggs from me when I get back to nyc :rofl:

And toast. Yeah. Eggs and toast and variations on those themes.

6 Likes

One-eyed eggs, poached egg on an English muffin, matzo brei, fried egg sandwich, coddled egg, egg salad, deviled eggs, scrambled eggs with smoked salmon, …?

2 Likes

I think that accurately reflects my own view. In truth, I should have stopped when eGullet’s UK board died - it was always far, far more interesting and fun than Chowhound (and HO, I’m afraid). After that, I was writing the reviews mainly for my own record and enjoyment but wanted them online somewhere so if a friend or relative was interested in a place, I could point them to the review.

I remember, many years back, receiving an email from a very senior manager in Chowhound’s parent company. She had read a couple of posts I’d made and wanted my input as to how CH might expand the use of its international boards. This was, of course, at a time when forums were still popular. I put a lot of effort into thinking through the issue and, a few days later, sent her a several page response, outlining the issues that, IMO, constrained it and how it might ovecome the issues. I reckoned it could be done but would not be easy. I got a very brief “thanks” in reply and that was the last I heard of it. Certainly nothing ever came of my ideas.

As for WFD, I went through a period about a decade ago when I found it very valuable. My life companion was seriously unwell for many months and had no interest in food, just picking at whatever had been cooked. So, the ability to chat about the dinner on WFD replaced being able to chat at home. It helped me get through a very bad time. Then, again, it became habit which, over time, stopped being enjoyable.

10 Likes

I have to feel like the new banner must be directed at this thread :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

7 Likes

In the boating world there is a crowd-sourced review website called ActiveCaptain. More like Yelp than HO. Still, I often find the most helpful reviews are my own old ones when I go back somewhere I haven’t been for a while.

3 Likes