Westchester food trucks

Was passing thru New Haven last weekend and swung past long wharf,must have been a dozen food trucks - got me thinking (hoping).Anyone know of any new trucks this year? Fwiw, I’m still a big fan of Teca’s Tacos parked by City Park in New Rochelle/ on the Larchmont border. Some of the best tacos around and @ $2.50 for a taco with 2 (small) shells a great deal.

The only food truck I know is a pizza truck run by the guys who used to own A&S Mt. Kisco.

I’m a huge fan of food trucks. Sadly, the food truck scene in Westchester is sorely lacking. One shining truck is The Souvlaki Truck in Yonkers (owned by the people of Niko’s in White Plains I think) – usually parked on Central Ave - right near Oakley’s Car Wash. Their gyros, souvlaki platters and brussels sprouts with feta are worth pulling over for. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

All of the Greek restaurants near me closed, so it’s a good thing that Souvlaki Truck was around when I had a wicked craving for a gyro last week.

1 Like

My favorite food truck encounter in Westchester is when I spot Chef David DiBari’s Dough Nation food truck at one of the local farmers markets. Had a deliciously decadent wood fired pizza prepared at the Bronxville Farmers Market last year…I believe the truck rotates their venues around the county.

2 Likes

That’s one I still need to try. That and the Cookery but that is a post for a different thread!

1 Like

That’s a truck worth chasing too! I always try to catch the Dough Nation truck at the Chappaqua Farmer’s Market. They make a breakfast pizza and special white pizza with preserved lemon that is very memorable. :slight_smile:

I recall those two specimens. Outrageously good…

1 Like

YES! The DoughNation truck (really just a pizza oven trailer) is excellent. I just need to start getting there earlier because I always miss out on the market special pizza. I guess I will have to wait until the Chappaqua market opens in May to try them again.

We also finally tried Pizza Luca truck (after months of trying to get to them) at the John Jay Farmer’s Market last year and were very disappointed. The pizza wasn’t nearly as good as DoughNation and it was more expensive. And the guy wasn’t even friendly, after I had been exchanging messages with him on Facebook for months. Combined with the horrific holes I had to put up with in the road leading into the John Jay Homestead, it was a very unpleasant day. I ended up having to find DoughNation the following day so I could get my fill of great pizza!

And yes, the lemon pizza is excellent. So is the Everything Bagel pizza.

1 Like

How disappointing - sorry to hear about the Pizza Luca truck - both the pizza & the attitude.

Looking forward to my next Dough Nation fix too. My sons actually tolerate a farmer’s market trip if it includes two of their margherita pizzas. :slight_smile: I remember the Everything Bagel pizza too. A garlic lover’s dream! :slight_smile:

Talking about food trucks, what ever happened to the Poutine Truck that used to park on the northbound side of Central Park Ave., Yonkers, near the library…

1 Like
2 Likes

The Pountine King has been located in Stanford, CT for several years. He couldn’t make a living in Westchester. He occasionally comes back to Yonkers, like for parades and such.

2 Likes

Thanks, Sprussel & Homestyle for the update on Poutine King…

Yeah, Teca’s tacos are good. There used to be a taco truck in Port Chester on that street behind main street, near Tarry Lodge, but I haven’t seen them for a long time. Agree that the food truck situation in Westchester is lame.

New food truck sighting in Northern Westcheser – Papi’s Mediterranean on Route 6 in Mohegan Lake (just east of Lexington Avenue, a mile or so west of the Taconic.).

It appears that they have good reviews on their FB page and seem to be a regular at Boscobel. I messaged them and got a response saying they will be at this location Tuesday-Sundays when they do not have other events. I hope to try them in the next week or two.

While their falafel is supposed to be really good, ironically they are just down the road from Almadinah Market whose falafel is supposed to be excellent per Yelp reviews (and which I was also meaning to get to). It’s also a dollar cheaper than Papi’s, if the online menu on Yelp is correct.

1 Like

Off topic for this thread but related to the Dough Nation pizza, did you know that you can now buy Everything Bagel spice at Trader Joe’s?

2 Likes

Mr.Bill
off/off topic,TJ’s also sells everything crackers (not sure what either has to do with dough nation however)

1 Like

More thanks for the update. The Poutine King used to park on Central Ave in Yonkers near Andrus Park - close to the library. I remember stopping a few times - so good - the cheese curds had that great squeak and were delicious.I still miss that truck but I’m glad he found success in Stamford. Poutine is the ideal hangover food! :wink:

2 Likes

A fantastic truck. I truly have Stamford envy. :wink: I loved being able to ride home from work and stop by when he was in Yonkers years ago. Too bad the locals didn’t appreciate this yummy treat.

1 Like