Wegmans Manhattan

Don’t quote me on this, but I think pre-pandemic, Wegmans in Greater Boston was also trying a beer and burger model.

I’ve definitely seen a bar at a Whole Foods outside of Baltimore, near my BIL’s.

3 Likes

When I was a kid the grocery stores offered wine and beer while shopping, it was New Orleans after all

1 Like

Just opened in Manhattan. Looking for comments on whether or not to go and what they do very well. How does it compares to WF?

It’s a bus ride from my house but will go if you all think worth it!

Thanks!

1 Like

Based on this thread, we went in when we happened to come across a key foods in astoria. Clean and organized is for sure. But if i needed seafood or cheese, I’d go to my local wegmans. Which are in Maryland. If i wanted a box of pasta or canned goods, Key.

My local Key Foods is pretty damn good. Produce selection is really good and prices are cheaper than almost anywhere else. Not noticed any cleanliness issues that were different than the Trader Joe’s down the block.

When I first arrived in NYC, the grocery stores were disgusting. The best of the lot was D’Ags. But over time, with the arrival of competition like Traders Joe’s, Wholefoods and especially FreshDirect the local chains have literally cleaned up.

The point is not whether Key Foods is clean or not, it’s that no one gets excited about Key Foods.

It’s just not a gourmet market. Key Foods is like the Kia/Hyundai of supermarkets.

The culinary hipsters and what-not care about places like WF, Zabars, Eataly and certain Wegmans. Just wait until Manhattanites get a hold of a Erewhon. It might literally shut down Manhattan.

2 Likes

Diags was good, until they got taken over by Red Apple/Gristedes. Some have upped their game, but it seems once they do a refresh, they don’t keep it as clean as when they refreshed.

I’m in Westchester and was excited when Wegman’s opened near me as I’d always heard good things about it. I was extremely disappointed. Mediocre but pricey prepared food. Too much “technology” to advance how meats, etc. reach you - most are cryovacced and no real butcher/ fish monger to aid you. Limited selection, but reliance on their own label. A tub of chocolate/chip cookies - $16.00. Not for my kids (if I had any). For myself, if I were to splurge on expensive cookies/ cakes , I’d rather frequent a good bakery. No offence intended , but its like a gourmet market, for those who have never been or don’t know what truly good food is.

The Wegmans here does rely a lot on its own labels… and sometimes that means I have to hit a second grocery because it isn’t a substitution I’m ok with - and lots of cryovac meat - but they have a butcher counter, too. All in all, it’s the best chain grocery around. And the staff is top notch. The one I frequent isn’t as fancy as when it first opened, but I think that happens with all groceries. Their pharmacy is very good.

1 Like

Wegmans used to be amazing. I lived in Rochester (Wegs birthplace) in the 90s-early 2000s and it was incredible, especially their flagship store in Pittsford - fantastic cheese selection, meat and seafood counters to die for, awesome olive/mediterranean bar, full complement of national brands. Now, it’s very watered down and they rely heavily on their own store brands, which are sometimes good and sometimes not. It was never the cheapest store around, but now it’s also overpriced, IMO. Was a huge bummer when they finally came to Westchester to see how they’ve diminished the brand and value over the years.

2 Likes

Their cheese selection here used to be fantastic. Now it’s all just their own branded cheeses. Very disappointed.

1 Like

They do carry one of the best of the truly “stinky” cheeses - epppoise Berthaut. However one cheese does not make a cheese shop great and when I do find it elsewhere it is usually for less

1 Like

I’ll check my local!