Weekly Menu Planning - January 2023

Let’s just say it’s survivable (with space heaters) but not very comfortable…

4 Likes

I just went to the supermarket yesterday with the following:

YESTERDAY
(1) live lobsters, boiled with garlic butter sauce, linguini.
(2) followed next meal with saute pork kidneys, veg,

TODAY
(3) oyster omelet/pancake with veg and side

Next few days:

Heritage rock chicken:
breast will be poached with sauce
legs and wings will be grilled/bbq with Jamaican Jerk rub

Beef Tripe - will be braised

I think that’s it for the next week/4-days etc.

Oh. I might make a pear galette also

12 Likes

Delicious sounding week!

3 Likes

The cruciferous salad reminded me of a technique I’ve been wanting to try but had forgotten about (roast first, dress later), so thank you!

Savory clafoutis sounds so appealing!

3 Likes

There is one in Diana Henry’s From the Oven to the Table that I love. Tomatoes, olives, goat cheese - heavenly.

3 Likes

Actuals for Jan 23 week, cooking for 2 in MN where the great freezer-overstock clearing continues, slowly. Last Sunday’s crab quiche leftovers were great for lunches this week. My produce drawers and cereals cupboard are well stocked since I’ve had to make weekly Costco visits this month and can’t make that trip without doing at least some grocery shopping. I needed replacement eyeglasses: exam & place order, pickup and first fitting, go back for earpiece adjust, go back for nosepiece adjust and ended up returning the new ones and choosing a different frame/reordering so the reading portion of the progressive lens can be large enough. This week I made the mistake of selecting the new Taylors Farms Green Goddess bagged salad. Not sure what’s the in their “plant based” dressing but the only resemblance to “Green Goddess” dressing is the color.

Mon: Leftovers – lasagna, salad, baguette
Tues: Casserole using boxed stuffing, frozen mixed veggies and homemade “cream of chicken” sauce. Combined back of box recipe (cubed raw chicken breast, higher oven temp, less sour cream) with a Julia Pacheco recipe https://www.juliapacheco.com/zucchini-stuffing-chicken-casserole/ . Salad. Sapphire grapes.
Wed: Salmon, Sweet Potato, Apples/Grapes
Thurs: Shrimp corn chowder Soup, Savory rolls Bundt (half of the Rhodes frozen dough rolls were beyond “best by” date and didn’t rise well, but newer ones did, so overall it was good, just not fluffy)
Fri: baked cod in tomato curry sauce, Coconut Rice, Peas, Fresh orange slices
Sat: Cooked dried navy beans, preparing for Sunday soup. Dinner - Meatballs w/BBQ sauce (both commercial), over cheese grits from this Budget Bytes recipe, salad. Dessert – homemade oatmeal cookies ice cream sandwich
Sunday (today): Ham & navy bean soup, Kings Hawaiian rolls, fruit salad - apples, pears, grapes. Leftover soup will be lunches several days in the week ahead, too.

14 Likes

Oh my. :laughing: :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

Sounds hideous.

1 Like

@tzigane and @MidwesternerTT I took the liberty of looking up the ingredients online and the two fiod items that stood out were dried basil and dried green onions. There seems to be a lot of artificial ingredients in it but I guess that’s standard for a lot of bottled salad dressings.

2 Likes

Thanks, @ottawaoperadiva. Bottled Kraft Green Goddess dressing includes dairy (sour cream, buttermilk), garlic and other spices. A standard homemade Green Goddess dressing includes sour cream, mayo (eggs) and anchovies so I now realize a “plant based” version is a huge stretch. And Taylor Farms missed it. Completely.

3 Likes

Just made it and it’s delicious–highly recommend!

3 Likes

To drag us even more off topic…

I saw this recipe and thought of you :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

So oddball BASIL will now be in all “Green Goddess” recipes??!. Sheesh.

1 Like

Here’s the “right” homemade Green Goddess dressing version, from Chowhounder Roxlet, May 2013

Green Goddess Dressing

1 cup mayonnaise (reduced fat is OK)
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 clove of garlic finely chopped
1 tablespoon tarragon vinegar (or use white wine vinegar with a tiny dash of tarragon)
1/4 cup finely chopped green onions (a commenter used fresh chives)
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1/2 cup sour cream (low fat is ok)
4 anchovies, chopped
Sub: mashed anchovy fillets (1 fillet yields about 1 teaspoon of paste. Mashed anchovy has a stronger flavor than prepared anchovy paste.)
freshly ground black pepper

Put all the ingredients except the sour cream into a blender. Blend until all ingredients are well amalgamated. Remove to a bowl and stir in the sour cream. Do not blend with the sour cream!

7 Likes

There’s also a good Green Goddess dip recipe. I’ve made it for company quite a few times. https://www.williams-sonoma.com/m/recipe/green-goddess-dip.amp.html

1 Like

I love that recipe and have been using it since Roxlet posted it!

1 Like

That Williams Sonoma dip looked good until I saw basil on the ingredients list. That’s just wrong in Green Goddess; in any amount it overpowers the signature key flavors of tarragon/anchovy/parsley.

1 Like