Weekly Menu Planning - January 2023

In the write up the author suggests chorizo as a swap for the bacon. We keep around primarily fresh chorizo, and I thought about adding it with the bacon (maybe next time). To my mind the paprika goes better with the chorizo than with standard, American grocery store bacon.

I love Caldo Verde!

2 Likes

I don’t really like smoked Spanish paprika that much, in anything. I still have some beautiful tins from a visit to Spain in 2001. (Decorative tins, haven’t been using the paprika at this point )

I have made some recipes calling for Hungarian bacon and Hungarian paprika that I have liked! Also- if you like bacon, tomatoes and beans, check out some recipes for Polish Breton beans. I’ve been enjoying them lately, when I don’t go the Tuscan bean and Kale / Portuguese caldo / northern Spanish bean with pork route.

(Apologize for the chit chat? I think someone wanted this to be a more succinct thread? Not sure)

3 Likes

OK. Last comment: any good ideas for Hungarian sausage (heavy on the paprika)? We picked some up. A good soup, perhaps?

1 Like

I can recommend Debriczner (also transliterated / spelled Debrecener) sausage. It varies a lot. I’m not familiar with other Hungarian or Hungarian-style sausages. Should be available at Polish and German markets, as well as any Hungarian ones.

1 Like

Maybe you could do something like this, but with homemade white sauce?

2 Likes

Yay!

1 Like

I bet that would also be pretty good with home-made white sauce, and fresh cabbage instead of sauerkraut ! Or substitute pastrami/corned beef for the kielbasa and you’ve got a Reuben noodle casserole :rofl:
(I had to check , of course someone else already has created a Reuben Noodle Casserole https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/reuben-noodle-casserole/ )

2 Likes

Hello everyone from a blustery city of Ottawa. It’s the third Friday in a row where we have gotten a snow storm so my mantra this month is “if it is snowing, it must be Friday”. The weatherman is predicting sunny weather for Saturday and Sunday so I am hoping to go for a nice long walk on Sunday to get a sunshine fix. I am tired of winter already… My menus for a solo diner in Ottawa, Canada looks this:

Today: Take out lunch from the food court downstairs since it is too blustery to leave the office. I walked to work this morning and I looked like a snowman by the time I got here 🙂 I am now eating a chicken curry and rice and it is very good. Dinner tonight will be a garden salad.

Saturday: Cleaning day. I have been printing and saving recipes for some time now and the pile is teetering over so time to clean up. Take out for dinner.

Sunday: out for a walk! Dinner will be soba noodles with cedar planked salmon.

Monday: Goat cheese omelette, garden salad on the side.

Tuesday: Chicken livers on toast, garden salad on the side.

Wednesday: Beef liver again - either liver and onions or a stirfry depending on what veggies need to be finished up. I think I have three servings of liver left in the freezer. I’m trying to reduce the volume of food in there but it’s not working too well 😉 I have some pearl onions in the fridge which are destined for tomorrow night’s dinner and since they are the only outstanding veggie in the fridge that needs to be used up, I will make a concerted effort to clean out the freezer starting next week.

Thursday: Spicy tomato sauce with pearl onions, side dish with whatever veggies I have left.

Have a nice weekend everyone! I hope it isn’t snowing too hard where you live.

16 Likes

Hello to everyone from the slowly melting Twin Cities of MN where just above freezing day time temps are making a dent in the snow pack (foot plus!) but refreezing every night. I think I need ice skates to get to my car safely. My parents keep asking when they can come visit and help paint the house- I keep deferring because they will loose their collective marbles at the state of my driveway- the dumpster and porta potty means all snow has to go to one side only- and the workers have the fancy big trucks so they just drive over everything.

Good news is the reno is progressing: cabinets went in this week and they are soooo pretty I was scared to touch them. Also super relieved I liked them- was a bit worried about color. Regretting life choice of “we can handle the priming and painting to save money” but what can we do at this point. I am considering it a low impact total body workout. We should be back home in less than 6 weeks! Freaking out about packing up the apartment to move. . . but so looking forwards to getting away from this *($Y(@ radiant electric stove top. Thanks for reading my venting!

Not as much cooking as I would like for 2 adults and 2 growing girls where we said we would have both upstairs bathrooms primed by Tuesday also the only functioning bathroom we have is the porta potty in the front yard:

Mon 9: Both girls skated. Leftover takeout pizza. Mr Autumm ate all of the extra salad. Grumpy!

Tues 10: Breakfast for dinner! Leftover sheet pan pancakes (Freezer) with scrambled eggs

Weds 11: Blue box for them, not much for me: We had from 2 on Weds afternoon till Thurs morning to get the kitchen sheet rock primed before cabinets went in. GAH! Mr Autumm’s first time in a long time solo on dinner and bedtime

Thurs 12: Lazy mommy’s shrimp tacos with black beans, guac, salad from a sack

Fri 13: Tonight! Drive through takeout after both girls skated back to back

Sat 14: Some prep of leftover prime rib from Christmas (freezer), hot crashed potatoes, salad, other veg possibly depending on how priming the bathroom drywall goes

Sun 15: Leaning towards take out pizza as much priming will be happening (also leftover pizza is a good thing)

Mon 16; No school day. I think both kiddos will skate back to back. I have frozen ravioli in the freezer. Big kiddo is doing vestibular training on the spinner to work on her spins/jumps so I really don’t want her eating before

I need to get a plan in place for later this week Big kiddo competes in Duluth but Mr Autumm and little kiddo won’t join us until Saturday so need a meal plan for them. Also need to plan for all the snacks and everything for us as its a 25 minute walk to the rink from our hotel and her practice ice is at 635 AM. . .

17 Likes

Good luck to the big girl in Duluth. And in a month or two you’ll forget about all this work and be loving your new kitchen.

3 Likes

Lawd have mercy!

I almost had to go lie down after reading all that.
You all are the most hard working family with the activities, renovation, and keeping up with the cooking! Especially with the only functioning restroom outside over a huge snowpack?

Yes, this will soon pass, you will enjoy the lovely new house and the remarkable memories. All the best!

11 Likes

Hi, all! Cooking for 2 in Chattanooga again, where I’m thrilled to be back in the kitchen! Travel is great, but I really do love puttering around at home…
Saturday, January 14: Vegetarian chili, cornbread, pear and burrata salad
Sunday: Butternut squash galette, orange and yogurt parfaits, maybe oatmeal shortbread
Monday: Chicken in cider vinegar sauce, rice, more salad
Tuesday: Scrounge
Wednesday: Pasta with zucchini pesto, probably with leftover burrata incorporated somehow
Thursday: Scrounge
Friday: Baked potatoes, Ottolenghi cabbage

Have a great week, stay warm, and happy cooking!

15 Likes

Thanks for linking to that Ottolenghi cabbage article!

2 Likes

Sorry, realized I didn’t answer the question! Did you use the Hungarian sausage already? In addition to the Hungarian Lentil Soup, or the Breton beans, you could make Lecsó, which is like a pepper heavy ratatouille with sausage added or on the side.

Yes, we have a couple of pounds of it in the freezer. It’s a bit dry, and heavy on the paprika for eating plain-roasted. I like the idea of a lentil stew, and also am thinking some goulashy kind of soup or stew. It’s made by my favorite sausage maker (Uli’s in Seattle), but I don’t think I’ll purchase this particular variety again.

1 Like

I was googling a little. I suppose this is somewhat similar to the Polish sausage/kraut/noodle casserole, in terms of cabbage, sausage and noodles coming together.

2 Likes

Thanks for that link! I’ve got everything on the list on hand (bonus points). :smile:

1 Like

If you’re thinking about making the sausage cabbage noodle dish, I would omit the paprika, since your sausages will have it. I’m always watching hidden salt so I’d also substitute water for chicken broth in this kind of dish that has lots of flavours already.

Looks like Tiny NYC Kitchen’s recipe is identical to this Food Network recipe😂

2 Likes

Agree on the paprika. I’ll make a note of the chicken stock. I’m a salt junky, however, so 50/50 stock and water may yet work for me. I’ll have to taste as I go.

2 Likes

I’ve been really bad about cooking on a whim rather than to the ingredients in my freezer and pantry. The next couple of weeks are planned based on what we already have (my shopping list is literally five items). Cooking for two adults who will eat anything and a 5-year-old who is gradually learning to expand his palate.

Saturday (today): quesabirria tacos out

Sunday: meatloaf with mashed potatoes and/or sweet potato fries (assuming my husband doesn’t eat all the leftover meatloaf before then!)

Monday: beer-battered fish tacos (filets from frozen)

Tuesday: pork tonkatsu with Japanese curry and leftover rice

Wednesday: Martha Stewart’s pappardelle with chicken, mascarpone, Parmesan and spinach

Thursday: ants climbing a tree

Friday: Turkish chicken thighs with pita bread, yogurt, salad

Saturday: cheesesteak stromboli

Sunday: one-pot Greek chicken thighs with pearl couscous (riffing on this recipe using b/s thighs and adding oregano, bay leaf, more garlic, lemon juice, and crumbled feta)

Monday: blackened salmon tacos with chipotle crema

Tuesday: spiced Impossible Meatballs in lavash with tahini sauce, salad

Wednesday: Sichuan black bean steamed butternut squash (Fuschia Dunlop), edamame, pressed tofu, and pickled mustard green stir-fry with rice (Woks of Life p. 65)

Thursday: al-pastor spiced ground pork tacos, fresh pineapple

Friday: daily dal (Meera Sodha), pan-fried [flounder], naan

Several of these will inevitably get pushed out/rearranged as we opt for going out, leftovers, or just aren’t in the mood. And I have frozen dumplings and buns in the freezer for when I just can’t be bothered.

I haven’t figured out the sides/vegetables for most of these yet, but it’s a framework.

15 Likes