Weekly Menu Planning – August 2023

I’ve decided to try posting my meal plans again. I don’t know why I really struggled to do it here considering the fact that I do actually meal plan every week but for some reason I couldn’t stick with it so I’ll try again now and see how I go.

I’m cooking for two people in the UK.

Tuesday: Chicken Saagwala served on top of homemade English Muffins.
Wednesday: Chickpea and Potato Saagwala also served on top of Homemade Muffins.
Thursday: Chicken and Smoked Sausage Gumbo served over Rice.
Friday: Leftovers from Thursday.
Saturday: Chicken, Broad Bean and New Potato Stew.
Sunday: Cauliflower Cheese.
Monday: Pasta al Limone.

Baking: Apple Strudel. Not Autumn I know but I’ve got lovely apples that I’d like to use so I intend to make 2 and freeze one for the future.

13 Likes

I never stick with it strictly :rofl:

2 Likes

Now that’s a new idea!

Week sounds delicious! Cauli cheese making me hungry.

2 Likes

All dinners were successful, as was my plan to serve lots of food and expect leftovers. Last night the friend who likes big spreads said I am the only person he visits where he never has any food anxiety, which really touched me.

Low-lift breakfasts included blueberry muffins from the bakery, assorted fancy fruit yogurts and bacon using the oven method; roasted mushroom, leek and goat cheese crustless quiche (report on COTM thread) with baguette; and “German hotel breakfast” of hard rolls and sliced German meats and cheeses from the German deli plus fresh fruit and yogurts to send them on their way this morning.

Leftover-palooza for me all this week which I am thrilled about!

10 Likes

Haha I’m glad it’s not just me :grin:

1 Like

Thank you! My partner actually tried it with English muffins once when we were out of naan bread and it is now his favourite way of eating saagwala.

2 Likes

You sound like.a fabulous host. :heart:

6 Likes

I probably comment every time you mention tuna melts – love those and somehow forget about them as a lunch/dinner option when I plan. I’m adding them right now to the “ideas” list under my weekly plan grid!

2 Likes

You are too kind! These are dear friends who arrived with a case of booze: wine plus cocktail ingredients - they are fabulous guests!!

6 Likes

Hi, all! Back cooking for 3 in Chattanooga, where it’s great to be back in the kitchen! I did a little cooking here and there in Europe, but was often hostage to my in-laws’ very conservative views of acceptable food…Oh, well, there were some very good meals in there as well, including a blowout meal in Paris for our 30th anniversary!

Plans for this week:

Sunday, June 30: Our neighbor from Paris is staying with us this week, so we did a welcome grill with chicken, grilled tomatoes, and walnut cake with grilled plumcots.

Monday: Sunday I cooked extra chicken, so we’re having chicken salad with pecans and grapes, an old-school Silver Palate recipe

Tuesday: Probably out somewhere, TBD.

Wednesday: Cauliflower pasta and tomato salad

Thursday: Spicy rotisserie chicken bake (more leftover chicken!) from Extra Good Things

Friday: Squash and corn pasta

Hopefully I’ll get through this all: I’m feeling ambitious (and happy to be in the kitchen)!

Have a great week and stay cool! Happy cooking!

16 Likes

Same!

1 Like

My husband always gets so excited when I make them. I have a few english muffins in the freezer, so I might use those this week.

2 Likes

Greetings, People.

August! My summer reading list consists solely of Erin Jeanne McDowell’s The Book On Pie. I’m finding it full of good and useful information to up my pie game.

Enjoying some down time, last week I (finally) streamed Everything Everywhere All At Once. We also went to the theater to see Barbie, where I enjoyed the experience (although was kinda “meh” on the movie itself). I bought and ate the biggest bag of popcorn they sell. Now I’m feeling both caught up on pop culture and satiated in the salty snack department.

Lazily feeding two adults in the PNW:

FRI: A Taste of Home recipe for Chicken and Blueberry Salad. Toasted baguette.

SAT: Jacques Pepin’s method for slow roasted salmon. Some version of @LulusMom1’s pasta with roasted mushrooms and chive oil. Roasted green beans with dill butter.

SUN: Roasted Polish kielbasa. Ottolenghi’s potato gratin with leeks, apples and gruyere. Roasted carrots.

MON: DH manning the new gas grill. Chicken wings. Coleslaw with a carrot-ginger dressing.

TUE: More grilling. DH making his oniony smash burgers. Leftover slaw with carrot ginger dressing.

WED: Scrounge.

THUR: Scrounge.

14 Likes

Hope you like the pasta!

Happy Friday everyone. We are winding down a lovely week weather wise in Ottawa, Canada - not too hot not too cold and the temperature is perfect for sleeping. We’ve had intermittent rain this week with another tornado tearing its way across the south end of the city last night. I am so lucky to have escaped these weather events. It just gets really windy downtown and it rains a lot.

This weekend my social engagements are picking up a bit. I will stay at home tomorrow to get my chores out of the way then off to a matinée movie on Sunday afternoon ("Umberto Eco : A Library of the World) then off to buskerfest then off to ribfest to pick up dinner. Monday is a civic holiday in Ontario so I will head off to the movie theatre again to see “The Miracle Club”.

Onto my meals for this week:

Today: take out lunch from a Korean restaurant that makes the best Korean fried chicken I’ve had so far. It’s a bit of a hike from home (25 minutes by foot each way) but worth the walk :slight_smile: Tonight I will have sliced ham with tomato and cucumber slices.

Saturday: stirfried udon noodles with pork and scallions.

Sunday: Ribfest day! I will have whatever protein appeals to me when I get there.

Monday: Rainbow trout, sliced tomato and cukes.

Tuesday: This time I will have the last serving of peanut soup. I thought I had the last serving last week but I found one more serving in the freezer when I was poking around in there earlier this week.

Wednesday: Chicken cacciatore.

Thursday: Fried cabbage and egg noodles.

Have a nice week everyone.

11 Likes

Smiling at your freezer find, having had a similar experience recently. Somehow my inventories are always 1 long or short. How do those storage containers skitter around when we’re not looking!? :wink:

One of my friends asks me why I keep cleaning out the freezer on a regular basis. (I clean it out once a month whether it needs to be cleaned or not.) And this is the very reason. Leftovers somehow manage to rearrange themselves between forays into the freezer.

3 Likes

Hi, all! Cooking for 2 in Chattanooga. It’s another chicken-filled week in our household :slight_smile:
Breakfast: Brown scones from the Breakfast Book
Saturday, August 5: the rotisserie chicken bake I still haven’t gotten around to making; zucchini and tomato salad
Sunday: Cherry and goat cheese-stuffed chicken; zucchini stuffed with corn; almond tuiles with ice cream
Monday: Salade Bagration from À la Russe (a cookbook I acquired in my college days when I was trying to learn Russian), just to try something completely different
Tuesday: Pizza/trivia?
Wednesday: Roasted mushroom grilled cheese sandwiches and whatever veggies need to go
Thursday: Fridge clean-out
Friday: Dinner in Nashville on our way out to California to visit our kids and my dad!
Hope you all have a good week! Happy cooking!

14 Likes

@ LulusMom1

I just finished making a batch of a Washington Post version for our dinner tonight (will serve at room temp). It’s delicious! Thanks for the lead!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/recipes/cremini-mushrooms-with-chive-pasta/

4 Likes

I’m so glad!

2 Likes