Weekend trip to Yarmouth/Portland ME

Spent this past weekend up in Yarmouth ME, which B and I both needed. We wanted to be fairly lazy. And spring onion is always game for anything.

We had a lot of pub food, albeit decent (Great Lost Bear, Run of the Mill) but didn’t get to Rap and Ramen Sunday at Honey Paw nor to Empire Chinese. Nor to Owl and Elm (which we had already previously visited. Or Maine Beer Co. newly-expanded tasting room. We had a very civilized cheese snack at More & Co. one evening (good DJ spinning vinyl tunes). Mash Tun was a low-key Sunday lunch (definitely has a late-night veneer). I wouldn’t go for the food, but it was nice to chill out on an indoor picnic table and drink some good beer.

Our rental house was quite nice so we spent a lot of time at home cooking meals with supplies from Rosemont Market. The one food revelation we did have (and we’re late to the game) was bagels from Maples. Man, I’m so glad I bought a dozen and froze them straight away so we could continue enjoying them at home. I even told B, I could make a round trip after dropping off spring onion at school in time to pick him up at 3 pm…couldn’t I? Yes, they are THAT good.

Once again, we are find ourselves thinking about our next trip up north.

PS I’m experimenting with hyperlinks in my posts. Do folks find them annoying or useful? It’s certainly not click-bait in the traditional sense as I am someone who simply wants to ease the way for others to good food!

4 Likes

Well, that makes us even later to the game. Will have to find those bagels next time we venture north. Thank you for this tip, @digga!

1 Like

The English muffins looked awesome too but we did not partake. I don’t have a sweet tooth, but even I found myself staring at the sweet offerings a little too long and hard.

Get thee to Maples early. I think they close by 2 or 2:30 pm. I showed up Saturday morning at 8:10 am and folks were already lining up. But since it’s Maine, it doesn’t feel annoying as it does at home. Ya know what I mean?

3 Likes

Useful.

5 Likes

Useful.

2 Likes

Useful!

2 Likes

Fourth on the great usefulness of hyperlinks!

2 Likes

We’re headed up to Portland to meet up with friends and spend one night the last weekend in March. I’ll need to clean out some freezer space for bagels before then!

The hyperlinks are quite useful. Thanks for the wonderful, as always, post.

3 Likes