Weekend in New York

TheGforceNY. That’s very helpful! I’ll discuss the menu with the love of my life. (Someone just told that you can’t say “my wife.”)

Look at Cafe Luxembourg.

FYI if the website’s menu doesn’t include prices, use google. For example, benoit dover sole cost menu.

Not really

fyi one of my favorite specials at Noodle Bar is the dover sole (used to be $45 or so)

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

I can recommend the Dover Sole at Rules in London. Worth the splurge next time you visit London.

I don’t think I’ve ever ordered Dover Sole in the United States. I do order it in the UK and France, back when I traveled more.

In SF I would love to try the Dover Sole at Tyler Florence’s elegant restaurant, Miller & Lux, but it’s way too expensive for me:

For mains, Miller & Lux offers a few options beyond steaks. There’s whole dover sole ($68 ), deboned and finished with a traditional meunière sauce table side.

1 Like

ABA Turkish on W. 57th was a lunch favorite for me when I worked in midtown. Loved their Ali Nazik with lamb adana (that particular dish is a great option for those avoiding carbs, but there are many others). Prices have gone up lately but are still pretty reasonable with most entrees between $20-30. I’ve never eaten in so I can’t comment on atmosphere. https://www.abaturkishrestaurant.com/menu/

2 Likes

Thanks, small_h!

Adana! Wonder where they source the (essential) lamb tail fat :thinking:

This probably doesn’t qualify as an exotic or hard-to-source ingredient in NYC. In fact, I recall that Cheburechnaya in Rego Park (Queens) offers lamb tail fat kebabs (I’m guessing many of the other Uzbek restaurants there do as well).

2 Likes

That’s awesome! I was SOL here in the boonies when I was looking for some. Saving my Adana fix for the summer, I guess :slight_smile:

1 Like

As mentioned above Sipsak on Third Ave in Midtown East could be a good choice for Turkish, to we havent been since chef Orhan died but he had a solid team and reviews seem to continue excellent.

Leyla could satisfy your pre-LC and taste for Turkish requirements. Walkable or one subway stop.

1 Like

Already linked and mentioned

An update – we have tickets to show at Studio 54 Saturday night, so I guess dinner moves toward Hells Kitchen, so I welcome suggests there.

No progress on the daytime major art museum itinerary.

Danji
Pure Thai Cookhouse

Tori Shin (Totto if you can’t get a rez there)
Saar
Toloache
Turkuaz – used to be excellent when it was uptown, I haven’t tried the new location yet
Real Kung Fu (xlb)
Churrascaria Platforma
Ippudo

Lots of Thai not far – Three Roosters, Der Krung, Wondee, Chai, Lum Lum, ThongLor (tiny), Pure, and more

Columbus circle recs hold, 6 blocks up

Danji is closed

2 Likes

Pre-theater for us is one of the very good Szechuan restaurants in the area. They are not touristy although last time we did sit next to a couple from Iowa who ordered beef with Brocoli and complained the whole time the food in their home town was better. :blush:

If you’re interested in Szechuan check menus at places like Szechuan gourmet, blue willow, oohu. An easy low carb meal and a piece of old nyc is keens steakhouse,

Writing this response to you I’m having that feeling of Deja vu all over again so I did a quick search, are your parameters for pre-theater different this time?

3 Likes

We havent gotten there yet but @Ziggy reported favorably on Sicily Osteria
https://www.sicilynyc.com/ and it seems to have reasonable prices as well as real sicilian dishes on the menu.